UK- Watchtower is in court TODAY, is anyone able to attend and tell us what happened?

by defender of truth 18 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Salisbury court 1 reference: U20150058

Monday 16th March

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Telephone: : 01722345200

PLEASE can someone ring and ask what happened, I can't with JW parents around me etc.

Just give the reference above, and it's Otuo v Watchtower. Thanks :)

• maksutov
    maksutov
    I phoned Salisbury Crown Court and was told to phone Winchester. I phoned Winchester, and after a lot of 'umming and ahing' the guy found the case and said that the result is that "£15,000 to be paid within 28 days". I asked for clarification over who would have to pay that, and he said he thinks it is Watchtower, but it is not entirely clear, and that to get a definite answer, one would have to send an e-mail so they can investigate with Salisbury. However, it certainly looks as though they found in favour of Otuo, and Watchtower is having to pay up (I can't imagine that a case brought by Otuo would result in him having to pay up anything other than his own legal fees).
  • defender of truth
    defender of truth

Thank you maksutov. Good news then, it seems? :)

I'll let barbara Anderson know.

Does anyone know how to get hold of a transcript?

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Not happy, and confused too. Just received a copy of the judgement..

Sounds like it has been dismissed due to limitations (filed too late).

I can't upload a copy for legal reasons, but if you want to find out why...

Send these details with a request for a copy of the judgement to:

[email protected]

(Crown Court Clerk)

Monday 16th March.

THE ROYAL COURTS OF JUSTICE

SITTING AT SALISBURY CROWN COURT

COURT 1

Before HIS HONOUR JUDGE PARKES QC

(sitting as a Judge of the High Court)

Not before 2 o'clock

UNROBED

FOR JUDGMENT

QB/2014/0571 Otuo v Watchtower Bible & Tract Society of Britain

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant
    Wow..so the WTS lost the case? That's great.
  • defender of truth
    defender of truth

No. The case stands to be dismissed, though the judge is open to further submissions.

It's very strange, order a copy and read it for yourself. It was only filed one day after the limit..

• maksutov
    maksutov
    I don't get why they would hear the case at all if it was filed late. Nor why the guy on the phone told me that a £15,000 payment had to be made. I have asked for a copy of the judgment, but have not received it yet.
  • maksutov
    maksutov
    I received a copy of the judgement, and yes, it says the case is being dismissed due to being filed one day late. The judge was distinctly unimpressed with the claimant, and not in the least bit bothered about shunning. He also seemed to make a strong distinction between the claimant seeking to be re-instated and being defamed - as though seeking to be reinstated meant that the claimant was not bothered about the slander. The judge comes across as surprisingly cold and harsh - not pleasant reading.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit