Cultural Mormons

by drew sagan 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• james_woods
    james_woods

Drew is right about the cultural thing - while the Mormons hold every bit as much weirdness doctrinally as the JWs, they seem to desperately want general public acceptance. Notice all the PR they were doing about "mormons are just like you" during the Romney primary campaign.

Note that among other difficult public teachings, they have given up the "mark of Cain racism", the "plural Marriage", and have greatly downplayed (or kept in secret) stuff like the lost tribe of Israel, etc.

On the other hand, JWs seem to flaunt their weird doctrines ever more by the day, and seem to desperately want general public rejection - the opposite of Mormon aims. This makes them feel different and more holy than others.

And yes, the Mormons are far more evolved - after all they were around long enough & in such early contraversy to get a whole (and very spooky) Sherlock Holmes novel written about them by A. Conan Doyle!

• wildflowermeadow
    wildflowermeadow

My ex was an LDS (Mormon). They indeed have much support for their members. There are all sorts of things for young people, women's social groups, men's groups, constant church sponsored social activity. What impressed me most is that they really do help the needy in their congregations unlike the witnesses. A person can get money regularly to help with their bills when they need it--they have their own welfare roll. Also if somebody needs physical help if they are sick or elderly, it's there in abundance. I saw many "widows and orphans" going without help in the Society--always passed over in favor of knocking on doors.

They actually moved me out and helped me financially when I left my unbelieving abusive MORMON husband even though I was the unbeliever! Can you imagine the witnesses doing the same? As far as showing love the Watchtower falls unbelievably short of the LDS.

• undercover
    undercover

I have some friends that are Mormon and have met others through them. While they're just as conservative in a lot of things as the JWs, they tend to try to fit in with the world around them. They may shun some of the more "perverted" things, but they want to be accpeted, not persecuted or laughed at. They may promote "cleanliness" but they don't have hard and fast rules as the Society does...like no R-rated movies, no heavy metal or rap. Mormons are encouraged to discern what is pure and chaste but aren't given strict arbitrary rules.

As a group they encourage higher education (they even have their own college, BYU). They join and serve in the military. They hold political offices. They're in the entertainment industry (if you can call Mormon pop music like Donny and Marie entertainment). (another sidebar: I've noticed that most Mormon celebrities do little to bring embarrassement to the church while JW celebrities are usually embarrasing and some are downright nuts)

I also know that they have youth programs in their churches and communities. That's one thing that JWs could learn from them. The Mormons probably have a higher retention rate of followers from childhood to adulthood than JWs because they make such an effort to provide safe a safe environment for their youth. (but then again, it may be a blessing in disguise that JWs show no regard for the youth, thus driving them away).

I can see the "cultural Mormon" thing having known some. They're probably a lot like Catholics. I mean, how many Catholics really hold to all that their supposed to? Similar to the Mormons...the more mainstream they become, the more "cultrual" a lot of their members can be.

It's been noted on the board that it seems that the Society, or more specifically, the GB is dropping the hammer more on the dubbies lately. The more iron-fisted they are the less chance of having a "cultural" JW. You're either active or inactive. And I think that's what they want...to make it hard so that those who rebel just leave. If they're out of the way, they can't distract the hard-core followers.

Another reason you don't see too many "cultural" JWs, there ain't much to gain from being a JW even without being active in the service or going to all the meetings. If you're irregular, you're usually marked pretty quick, thus slowly dissolving any camarderie that was there before. So why bother hanging around?

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Mormons are a much more social group.

Yup. The only family-strengthening and social activities offered in the Halls I grew up in were field service. Period.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

So, these are non-moron's living the "mormon lifestyle"?

• StAnn
    StAnn

My brother is engaged to and living with a Cultural Mormon. It's really not as easy for her as the things you've read, Drew, lead you to believe. There are a lot of similarities between the JWs and the Mormons. Her family has very limited contact with her and excludes her as much as possible because of her 'lack of faith.'

StAnn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit