I got tipped

by John Doe 27 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

twice this week at work. We're not supposed to take them, but I never protest too hard. ;-) What's interesting is that I've been here for 3 years, and have had 4 tips. Two of them this week. Nothing brightens your day like a tip.

The first was a middle aged woman and her mother, and I helped them find things through the whole store for a little over an hour. They were very appreciative and tipped me $4.

The second one, today, blew my mind. These two college aged girls came in, drop dead gorgeous with low cut tops and short pants, and had me cut a dozen or so 1x4's and some peg board to size for some canvases they were building. I cut their material--took about 15 minutes--and then as they were leaving they gave me a $5. Now, what was exceptional about this is that 1) they were young and 2) they were hot. Now, perhaps I'm not being fair in judging people by these qualities, but it's been my experience that young hot girls (or guys for that matter) are not very gracious and do not tip. I guess what I'm trying to say is my faith in humanity was reinforced a little today. :-)

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Maybe they think you are Howard Hughes only heir?

• John Doe
    John Doe

I don't think it had anything to do with me. I think they were genuinely nice girls and appreciated service.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I think young, pretty girls can be nice. When I was young and not ugly, I would have tipped you.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Now that I think about it, I should have gotten their phone number instead of a tip. ;-)

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

It always bugged me at work that I can efficiently serve customers in 1-2 minutes while being friendly but it was the guys that spent 5 minutes leaning on the counter chatting holding up the line of people behind that ended up getting tipped. I always tip more when I get fast service than some lazy chatty brat! But apparently the world does not see it my way.

• horrible life
    horrible life

My daughter and her foreign exchange friend went with the host parent to a Dr. appt, in a nearby town. Population, maybe 20,000. She dropped them off at a small mall. They looked for prom dresses. Each found the perfect one, within minutes.

I said NO!!! The prices were horrible!! I had planned to go to Dallas the next day, with the girls, spend the night, and go prom dress shopping. We went to a store in Dallas, called Whatchamacallit. Prom dresses, as far as the eye could see. HUGE store. Lots of help. Everybody very nice. Prices, not cheap, but more reasonable. About $75.00 less, on comparable dresses.

I bet that store could have outfitted every high school girl in Dallas, and surrounding counties. Do you know, that there was not one dress, that poor girl brought, that came anywhere close, to the fathom prom dresses that they tried on, in the other town.

I finally conceded that it was a lost cause. I got out a $20.00 bill, and when she came back, for the umpteenth time, with yet a smile on her face, and the girls said no to those dresses, I told her how much I appreciated her time, and valiant effort. That I had never seen somebody work so hard, for 2 teenagers. I gave her the folded bill, in a way, it kinda looked like I was shaking her hand, just in case she wasn't supposed to take it.

She looked down, and I think she almost peed her pants.

We got the other dresses. Cost me a motel room, gas, food for 4 for 2 days, $20.00 cash. and list price for the dress.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Mysterious, everyone's personality is different. Many times, people aren't in a hurry but want to be entertained. In that case, fast and efficient don't mean much. However, fast and efficient is what I try to do as well.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Another thing that surprises me is that the people who are least demanding are the ones who tip. I don't mind going out of my way and dropping what I'm doing to help customers--that's my job and it keeps my day interesting. I also like helping people with their problems. Even so, the customer's attitude can make a world of difference in a person's viewpoint.

• JK666
    JK666

JD,

This is "slap to the side of the head time" for you.

You are 29! You are young! Get a clue, they liked you.

What is too young for a 29 y.o.? If they are over 21, you are cool. I went through a divorce at age 29, and I thought my life was over because I was too old to ever find someone. An extremely early middle age crisis! You just take my advise - pull your head out, and get some phone numbers when this happens.

I've got your back, bro!

John

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit