Sign of the Times

by Layla33 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Layla33
    Layla33

I came across this interesting article on how the economy is closing stores. We talk about it every week, but what have you seen in your own community that shows the economy is affecting us all?

Store Closings: Symptoms of A Depressed Economy

Gather

1. Ann Taylor closing 117 stores nationwide A company spokeswoman said the company hasn’t revealed which stores will be shuttered. It will let the stores that will close this fiscal year know over the next month.

2. Eddie Bauer to close more stores - Eddie Bauer has already closed 27 shops in the first quarter and plans to close up to two more outlet stores by the end of the year.

3. Cache closing stores - Women’s retailer Cache announced that it is closing 20 to 23 stores this year.

4. Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug, Catherines closing 150 stores nationwide The owner of retailers Lane Bryant , Fashion Bug , Catherines Plus Sizes will close about 150 underperforming stores this year. The company hasn’t provided a list of specific store closures and can’t say when it will offer that info, spokeswoman Brooke Perry said today.

5. Talbots, J. Jill closing stores - About a month ago, Talbots announced that it will be shuttering all 78 of its kids and men’s stores. Now the company says it will close another 22 underperforming stores.

The 22 stores will be a mix of Talbots women’s and J. Jill, another chain it owns. The closures will occur this fiscal year, according to a company press release.

6. Gap Inc. closing 85 stores - In addition to its namesake chain, Gap also owns Old Navy and Banana Republic. The company said the closures - all planned for fiscal 2008 - will be weighted toward the Gap brand.

7. Foot Locker to close 140 stores - In the company press release and during its conference call with analysts today, it did not specify where the future store closures - all planned in fiscal 2008 - will be. The company could not be immediately reached for comment

8. Wickes is going out o f business - Wickes Furniture is going out of business and closing all of its stores, Wickes, a 37-year-old retailer that targets middle-income customers, filed for bankruptcy protection last month.

9. Goodbye Levitz - The furniture retailer, which is going out of business. Levitz first announced it was going out of business and closing all 76 of its stores in December. The retailer dates back to 1910 when Richard Levitz opened his first furniture store in Lebanon , PA. In the 1960s, the warehouse/showroom concept brought Levitz to the forefront of the furniture industry.

The local Levitz closures will follow the shutdown of Bombay.

10. Zales, Piercing Pagoda closing stores - The owner of Zales and Piercing Pagoda previously said it plans to close 82 stores by July 31. Today, it announc ed that it is closing another 23 underperforming stores. The company said it’s not providing a list of specific store closures. Of the 105 locations planned for closure, 50 are kiosks and 55 are stores.
    11. Disney Store owner has the right to close 98 stores The Walt Disney Company announced it acquired about 220 Disney Stores from subsidiaries of The Children’s Place Retail Stores. The exact number of stores acquired will depend on negotiations with landlords.

Those subsidiaries of Children’s Place filed for bankruptcy protection in late March. Walt Disney in the news release said it has also obtained the right to close about 98 Disney Stores in the U.S. The press release didn’t list those stores.

12. Home Depot store closings - ATLANTA - Nearly 7+ months after its chief executive said there were no plans to cut the number of its core retail stores, The Home Depot I nc.ann ounced Thursday that it is shuttering 15 of them amid a slumping U.S. economy and housing market. The move will affect 1,300 employees.

It is the first time the world’s largest home improvement store chain has ever closed a flagship store for performance reasons. Its shares rose almost 5 percent. The Atlanta-based company said the underperforming U.S.stores being closed represent less than 1 percent of its existing stores. They will be shuttered within the next two months.

13. CompUSA clarifies details on store closings Any extended warranties purchased for products through CompUSA will be honored by a third-party provider, Assurant Solutions. Gift cards, rain checks, and rebates purchased prior to December 12 can be redeemed at any time during the final sale. For those w h o h ave a gadget currently in for service with CompUSA, the repair will be completed and the gadget will be returned to owners. http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9834177-7html < http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9834177-7.html >

14. Macy’s - 9 stores -

15. Movie Gallery - 160 stores as part of reorganization plan to exit bankruptcyThe video rental company plans to close 400 of 3,500 Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video stores in addition to the 520 locations the video rental chain closed last fall.

16. Pep Boys - 33 stores

17. Sprint Nextel - 125 retail locations New Sprint Nextel CEO Dan Hesse appears to have inherited a company bleeding subscribers by the thousands, and will now officially be dropping the ax on 4,000 employees and 125 retail locations. Amid the loss of 639,000 postpaid customers in the fourth quarter, Sprint will be cutting a total of 6.7% of its work force (following the 5,000 layoffs last year) and 8% of company-owned brick-and-mortar stores, while remaining mute on other rumors that it will consolidate its headquarters in Kansas. Sprint Nextel shares are down $2.89, or nearly 25%, at the time of this writing.

18. J. C. Penney, Lowe’s and Office Depot are scaling back

19. Ethan Allen Interiors: The company announced plans to close 12 of 300+ stores in an effort to cut costs.

20. Wilsons the Leather Experts - 158 stores

21. Pacific Sunwear will close its 154 Demo stores after a review of strategic alternatives for the urban-apparel brand. Seventy-four underperforming Demo stores closed last May.

22. Sharper Image: The company recently filed for bankruptcy protection and announced that 90 of its 184 stores are closing. The retailer will still operate 94 stores to pay off debts, but 90 of these stores have performed poorly and also may close.

23. Bombay Company: The company unveiled plans to close all 384 U.S.-based Bombay Company stores. The company’s online storefront has discontinued operations.

24. KB Toys posted a list of 356 stores that it is closing around the United States as part of its bankruptcy reorganization. To see the list of store closings, go to the KB Toys Information web site, and click on Press Information

25. Dillard’s to Close More Stores Dillard’s Inc. said it will continue to focus on closing underperforming stores, reducing expenses and improving its merchandise in 2008. At the company’s annual shareholder meeting, CEO William Dillard II said the company will close another six underperforming stores this year.

• Gopher
    Gopher

There's no doubt that the American economy is going through some shrinkage right now.

I'd say that a number of these changes that you mention are just part of the business cycle. Old stores go away and new ones take their place. The five-and-dimes like Woolworth's were replaced by K-Mart and later by Wal-Mart and Target. Old-style ballrooms were replaced with newer dance clubs. Single-screen theaters were replaced with multiplex cinemas.

I noticed some examples of this in your list.

Home Depot is being surpassed by Lowe's because of better service and fresher-looking stores. Lowe's may be 'scaling back' but only on the pace of its expansion, but it is still growing (last I heard).

Macy's is part of the overall societal trend away from expensive department stores and more towards (again) the Wal-Marts and Targets, along with Kohl's which seems to be thriving.

KB Toys is losing out to the toy department at Wal-Mart, and also maybe to Toys'R'Us which keeps floating along.

And as for Sharper Image and Bombay Company, those stores sold a lot of pricey 'image' items -- my impression is that people better liked to window-shop there than to buy.

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

and The Sun is going to explode

and We're all going to die one day

"Neither will they know the day or hour.............."

• Layla33
    Layla33

I want to clarify that "Sign of the Times" has NOTHING TO DO with the JW rheotric of Armaggedon coming. I guess because I have long thought outside that construct, I just see the great fall of the US as a response to out of control spending for the war, an incompetent president and being allowing other countries to buy us out. The recession is a forgone conclusion as far as I am concerned, and I believe it is going to get a lot worse.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    what have you seen in your own community

When I left Beth-hell I came back to an area where the economy has been totally crappy for decades. Actually, with recent developments, the local economy has started growing somewhat. People are much more likely to spend money around here where prices are much cheaper, and they see immediate returns in helping local businesses rather than mega-chain-filled-malls. My business is doing fairly well since I'm able to keep prices lower than any of the above mentioned corporations.

I've gotten some excellent advice from successful old-timers... stuff like, "every challenge is a new opportunity."

B the X

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

As "disposable income" is starting to disappear, this is going to affect a lot of markets, particularly entertainment (like video stores), specialty clothing stores, jewelry shops, etc. People gotta decide between food, gas, shelter, and extras, and the credit cards are all maxed!

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Starbucks is closing many stores that are considered nonperforming.

I'll drink to that.....

Outaservice

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo
    22. Sharper Image: The company recently filed for bankruptcy protection and announced that 90 of its 184 stores are closing. The retailer will still operate 94 stores to pay off debts, but 90 of these stores have performed poorly and also may close.

I am surprised that this Crap-o-torium has remained in business all these years! There is absolutely nothing in this store that is worth the price tags affixed to them. Someone buying their product deserves the profound disappoint and buyer's remorse that occurs minutes after leaving the store.

The other store that is it's dark-looking-glass equivalent, that I am surprised is still around, is Spencer's. Part head shop, part joke shop. and all junk shop, it's like the red-neck cousin of Sharper Image, where people can spend their hard earned cash on cheapo lighted beer adverts and t-shirts for pregnant teens that say "I guess I shoulda given him a b**w-j*b instead!". Maybe the lack of spending cash will arrest the decline and fall of Western Civilization (but probably not.)

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

As of late here in Florida, Churches chicken has gone bankrupt along with Sam Seltzers steak house. Many bars are out of business and whole strip shopping centers are vacant. Huge sections of Tampa are like a ghost town, many empty buildings. This all started 8 years ago when the ding bat got in office. I have friends that I worked with for 23 years before Bush who havent found jobs since he became president. And they were good hardworking people.

There are people begging on every major corner in Pinellas county, Tampa bay.

The Pinellas county Sheriff laid off 22 Deputys this month. Something they have never done in my life in Florida since 81. And the Sheriff said if the economy doesnt improve he is going to have to let 200 more deputies go.

And something that I have noticed this year is there are rent a drunk, rent a bum, temporary employment, day labor places on every block.

Our government went out of its way to bring this upon us. They have done nothing to protect American jobs, American manufacturing. They have welcomed the cheap imports and allowed and facilitated American jobs to leave. We are a country of insurance companies and prostitutes and that aint cutting it.

Another major industry that was left, telemarketing, has been hindered by the do not call list. I dont like telemarketers but if thats the only business your going to allow you cant stop them from calling people.

Everyone has gotten what they wanted. They got the right to buy cheap goods from wall mart made in china to the point that everyone has lost their jobs.

So to the young Americans, I say be like my great grand parents and the Mexicans find a country that will have you and emigrate.

We were talking at the jail where would be a good country to go to.

We decided any country that doesnt want Americans would be a good country if we could somehow sneak in they would probably take good care of us.

Like Germany, France, Italy, Australia.Canada

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit