Anything you regret not doing before you left?

by sleepy 10 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

What do you regret not doing before you left the "truth" for good.
    Some of us who have families still in have our hands tied as to what we could have done.
    Is there anything you would have done differently looking back.
    Also those who are Dissasociated do you now wish you werent so you could have more accsess to friends and family?

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

I would have had a lot of sex instead of dreaming about it...

I would have educated myself more...

I would have gotten a decent career going...

I would have helped more people out...

I would have enjoyed what family I had more before I lost them when I left...

I would have found a way to undo my participation in the great lie...

But this is water under the bridge now, time to make the most of what I have in life and celebrate it with good friends and the many fine people on this board.

Skipper

• avengers
    avengers

I would have paid more attention to family. Family is the most important.

• karen7680
    karen7680

All of my family is in, so I really could not have (would not have) done this. But I wish I could have gone to the memorial and when the wine was passed, drink the whole glass, followed by a loud "Aaah!"

:) Karen :)

-------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Ex-JW Get Together! Visit http://www.exjw.info for more details.

• Tanalyst
    Tanalyst

20 years ago there was some stealing going on at Bethel and they couldn't find them. Before I left I wanted to go door to door there and preach about a time in the future when they could go to bed without locking their doors at nite and everything would just be peachy creamy.
    I was too busy never made time for it.

• Flip
    Flip

Knowing what I know now, I would rather have created some controversy within the congregation in the secondary effort to Awaken! others some day, than to have quitely walked away.

It probably wouldn't have had much effect on any one other than my immediate family. However, by doing so may have allowed me to empower myself to shed the Watchtower brainwashing sooner.

Flip

• COMF
    COMF

When confronted by the arrogant, self-righteous, judgmental asshole PO I would like to have answered with a loud, prolonged fart, complete with raised leg and pained expression.

COMF

• wytchwomyn
    wytchwomyn

hahahah..Karen...you go girl...I always wanted to do that too...and actually have a faint memory of my father (the PO) and mother being aghast because my little brother had sneaked some nibbles of the "unleavened bread" after memorial because he was hungry waiting for my parents to finish the eternal rounds of visiting after the meeting...too funny that this thread dredged up that old memory...what a hub-bub that caused...

But my real question was: What this about Disassociation?...I was officially disassociated nigh onto 25 years ago and except for a brief period of time when the Raymond Franz purge was going on it has been no big deal as far as being able to "socialize" with family memebers...during the purge my family shunned me as they felt appropriate...and then..what?...maybe 12 or 13 years ago they changed the position on disassociated members again...I remember this because I had a niece at the time who was pregnant out of wedlock and I was pleased that she would not have to go through the shunning procedure if the elders chose to discipline her...which they didn't...but I can remember my mother phoning me so happy that she no longer had to shun me...to which I replied, "Doesn't it bother you that they change the rules back and forth on a whim?" and got the standard "new understanding" answer...to date they have no problem associating with me during infrequent visits...my sister talks with me online pretty much daily...*gasp*...don't tell me they're going against the dictates of the Society???...

~W~

• rhett
    rhett

I would have paid more attention to my health.
    I would have tried harder in school.
    I would have been nicer to all the great people I knew who weren't in the cult.
    I would have spent no time out trying to recruit new members.
    I would have dated some great girls before getting married (as opposed the long line of psychos that I did).
    I would have told the elders they could all go f**k themselves.

I don't need to fight
    To prove I'm right
    I don't need to be forgiven.

• nelly136
    nelly136

With hindsight
    I would have realised it was none of the elders business
    what I do in my spare time and that I wasnt obliged to answer
    any of their questions,
    I would have followed my guts and taken the well paying job I was
    offered and not allowed to take by my parents cos it meant travelling
    and missing meetings,
    I would have cut contact from the beginning instead of putting up with contact on condition this that and the third thing to work around
    the jdubism,

nelly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit