explaining mexico-malawi

by agent zero 10 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• agent zero
    agent zero

i was trying to explain the mexico-malawi thing to someone without saying any direct accusations like "they're just after the real estate" or "they needed some big-publicity persecution"(because that would just shut the door on that convo.) but i told all the basic facts, about not being registered as a religion in mexico and all that. .....here's some of the response i got:

about mexico:

"that shows the faithfulness of these brothers to still be going to the meetings even without song, prayer and bibles! no other religion would do that!"

"of course we don't want the k-halls to be owned by the government... we're no part of the world."

and about malawi:

"they can't just make buying the party card a consciounce matter, it's based on the bible, its not something they can just decide."

i really want to help this person understand this........ but how?

A0

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C
    "that shows the faithfulness of these brothers to still be going to the meetings even without song, prayer and bibles! no other religion would do that!"

This remark is quite typical of Jehovah’s Witnesses and reveals a gross ignorance about other Christian churches around the world. Almost all of JWs get their information about other churches from Watchtower literature; via Awake articles. There, you will find the most sordid stories about other churches that have been cherry-picked by the writing department for their scandalous nature. Therein lies the problem.

Jehovah’s Witnesses receive very limited, selective information. One could almost compare it with the kind of information that the state run news services of the Soviet Union would present to their citizens: information which painted the West in the most decadent light, and then presented "Mother Russia" as always smelling like a rose.

Most JWs are satisfied with the selective information they receive from their "Mother Organization". Many of them would be quite surprised however, to discover that they have been given only a tiny piece of the picture.

You may want to begin gradually, by presenting some seeming innocent information that might begin to open their minds. For example: go the the library and find some books on Christian history; particularly those which deal with the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. You will find countless historical accounts of Christians in other countries who showed a faith equal to, and sometimes surpassing that of JWs.

Here’s a couple of examples that I discovered while doing my own research: there were Christians in China who were translating Bibles long before the WT Society came on the scene. There are currently millions of non-denominational Christians in China who meet secretly in private homes; often risking imprisonment.

In India, there are currently hundreds of thousands of Christians who are being persecuted, beaten, and jailed over their refusal to comply with various political affairs, and their refusal to discriminate people based on the caste system. Does the WT ever mention or compliment these people? No way.

What does all of this have to do with the Mexico / Malawi issue? I believe that you first need to kindly educate the average JW on things that they do not know about other Christians and the faith that they have demonstrated. JWs live with a false illusion that they have been the only people to refuse to compromise their faith. History proves them false. If you kindly share some of the many historical examples with them regarding the uncompromising faith of other Christians around the world, it may begin to open the door to their stubborn and closed mind.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

For one the bible says nothing about joing or participating in a political party. If you believe most historians the whole book of revelations was a politcal diatribe against the roman government.

As far as a concious matter just show your friend how that is a matter of the current climate in the BORG. Back when the mexico-Malawi thing was going on the world was further apart. what occured half a world away didn't affect the US the way the same situation just south of US borders hit home.

If your friend needs further examples of the way they change doctrines based on the climate of the times we live in, show him the change in alternative military service. Back during nam, the society practically encouraged brothers to go to prison for their stand on political neutrality. Now you look in the appendex of the new book you see how its up to the individuals conscious, as to whether he can serve in some non-military capacity.

I remember they use to speak glowingly of the brother's who took a 'stand' on the side of truth and refused military service in any form. They glossed over the fact that these brothers were in freaking federal penitentiaries with all that went along with such a sentence. They made it seem like it was a vacation for the brothers and they would get together and study the WT and preach to fellow prisoners, and no one bothered them. BS!

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

I think the most obvious flaw in the reasoning that they could still go to church with out praying is that if a person from Malawi would not even join a political party why in the world would they give up praying? They wouldn't. So why was something as petty as signing a piece of paper put over something as intimate as praying.

• james_woods
    james_woods

The hypocrisy of the mexico-malawi was also a mexico-malawi-USA issue. (aside from the infamous kingdom hall property thing).

Mexico would permit the draft-age men to "buy their way out of army service" essentially by purchasing a deferment card. It was not a dishonerable thing to do in normal Mexican society.

I had a rather wealthy Mexican business partner (non JW) at the time and all five of his boys took this option as a way of attending University rather than taking a military career. According to my friend, this was not all the "draft dodging" of the USA fame, - Mexico was not interested in war, and about the worst that could happen to one of their soldiers was a little discomfort on some lazy border post.

The problem was the political nature of the card itself - nowhere did the Society explain why a 25c party card in Malawi was worth dying for, a US JW man born in the 50s could spend 5 years in federal prison (about like a counterfeiter, for example) and was not allowed to opt for the honorable conscious objecter status, while the Mexican guys were allowed to do this draft card shuffle.

It was a major issue with such men as Ray Franz, who relates that at one time a majority of the GB wanted to revise these policies, but that stubborn Freddie used some cronies and the 2/3 rule to put a stop to it.

• Terry
    Terry

I, among hundreds of other Jehovah's Witnesses of draft age, were ripsawed by the Watchtower Society policies concerning neutrality.

I say "policies" rather than policy because there was not just one!

The issue of neutrality is an artificial and manufactured one in the first place which goes to the heart of Rutherford's illicit takeover of the Millennial Dawn/Bible Students when Pastor Russell died.

To grasp the issue of neutrality as it evolved over time and to comprehend the minset out of which it appeared one must begin this story at its inception in 1916.

With the death of Pastor Russell, Judge Rutherford grasped an opportunity to seize a bully pulpit and publishing enterprise primed to expect a cataclysm through the revelation of bible interpretation.

Through nefarious legal intricacies Rutherford over-rode Pastor Russell's last will and testament which expressly called for NO FURTHER publications to issue from the date of his death. Rutherford had a plan which would replace Russell as the central focus of religious Truth and place himself at the forefront as mouthpiece of god.

The key instrument would be an expected 7th volume of Pastor Russell's commentary STUDIES IN THE SCRIPTURES.

WIKIPEDIA: The Finished Mystery

Following Russell's death in 1916, a seventh volume - entitled The Finished Mystery - was published in 1917 and advertised as his "posthumous work". This seventh volume was a detailed interpretation of the book of Revelation, but also included interpretations of Ezekiel and the Song of Solomon. An advertisement for the book in The Watch Tower called it: "the true interpretation." (1917, p.334) The book was allegedly: "of the Lord—prepared under his guidance." (p. 126)

Immediate controversy surrounded both its publishing and contents. In a short time it was established that it was actually written and compiled by two of Russell's associates, Clayton J. Woodworth and George H. Fisher, and edited by Joseph Franklin Rutherford.

The Finished Mystery had been prepared without the board's consultation, and in violation of Charles Taze Russell's Last Will and Testament.

Note that Rutherford's first official act as leader was to create a fabrication misrepresenting the Finished Mystery as a book written by Pastor Russell prepared under the guidance of the Lord. (^ "This book may properly be said to be a posthumous publication of Pastor Russell." The Finished Mystery, Preface, p. 5. ) This counterfeit landed Rutherford and the board of the Watchtower in prison!

Why?

This is where our story actually begins.

WIKIPEDIA: Bible Students who felt that the tone and spirit of the book was overly harsh, as well as contrary to the spirit in which Russell had wrote during his ministry. Questions were also raised regarding predictions made in the book for the years 1918, 1919, and 1925. This seventh volume (entitled The Finished Mystery) included strong criticism of the Papacy and the existing Christian religious system and hierarchy. This prompted clergy pressure for government censure and in 1918 he served an imprisonment together with seven other associates in Atlanta, Georgia, for allegedly opposing the Selective Service Act of 1917 and the Espionage Act of 1917

Correspondence between the Watchtower Society and Christians serving in the army were revealed during the course of the trial. In these letters and in direct violation of Sedition laws, Rutherford conspired to provoke treason by advising the solider to lay down his weapons.

ARREST RUSSELLITES ON SEDITION CHARGES; Rutherford, Who Succeeded Late 'Pastor,' and Five Other Leaders Barely Escape Jail. INDICTED IN FEDERAL COURT Inciting Refusal to Do Military Duty and Sending Money to Germany Alleged.

• </form>

May 9, 1918, Thursday

Page 22, 1053 words

Charged with spreading doctrines calculated to promote unrest and disloyalty among the men of the army and navy, six leaders of the International Bible Students' Association, which has founded by the late "Pastor" Charles T. Russell, were arrested yesterday afternoon in Brooklyn by United States Marshal James M. Power.

Kathleen Koenig: As America prepared to enter World War I, the anti-war, anti-government message of The Finished Mystery brought the wrath of the United States judicial system down upon the Bible Students' heads. In 1918 Rutherford and seven other Watch Tower officials were convicted on charges of sedition. Though sentenced to a total of six hundred years in the Atlanta penitentiary, the Judge and his fellow inmates were released in 1919 and later acquitted of all charges. The experience made him bitter, and he emerged breathing fire against all the clergy of Christendom, whom he held responsible for his incarceration.

Rutherford realized the Bible Students were in danger of further disintegration. Many members were dismayed by Russell's death prior to Armageddon. Rutherford replaced Russell's books with a steady stream of his own, insisting that doctrinal changes were "new light" cast on Scripture by Jehovah. He consolidated power by replacing elected congregation elders with Society-appointed men. He castigated as idolaters those who revered the memory of Russell, making life intolerable within the organization for loyalists. The pages of his books and of The Watchtower soon were filled with attacks against other religions, the most vicious being reserved for the Catholic Church.
    Memorandum: ...submitted at the same time by the Attorney General and also placed in the Congressional Record. Speaking of printed matter which, in the opinion of the Intent genre Service, "could only serve to stir men up to mutiny and tend to disintegrate our entire army,"

Meaning what?

Rutherford was seeking vengence against other denominations, against the U.S.army and the government for 400 year sentences. He spent the rest of his life fulminating against everybody and everything while using the membership of his Jehovah's Witness relgion to do so.

Everything about Jehovah's Witnesses was designed to anger mainstream society, christianity and government. JW's were created as contrarians. Whatever "normal" society expected of a christian; Jehovah's Witnesses did the opposite. No birthdays, no christmas, no flag salute, no singing national anthem, no military service, no cross, no hell, no blood, no pledge of allegience... this list is endless.

Judge Rutherford and his successors imprinted the JW psyche with a kind of radicalism it took them a long time to escape.

The upshot of these policies was to pit forces of young men from Kingdom Halls against any authority willy nilly to create publicity which enflamed ordinary christians because it made JW's look Holier than thou and more dedicated and righteous through the creation of martyrs.

In Malawi the members could not purchase politcal party cards. In Mexicon, the members could bribe officials to avoid problems.

The two policies were Ad Hoc: created on the spot according to the whim of the leadership at the time.

The two-fold reasoning of American draft problems was that young Witness men could not serve in the armed forces or accept ALTERNATE service unless a judge sentenced the young man to the alternate service. The young man could not explain this to the judge either!!

It is clear from all this the leadership of the Watchtower Society was not attempting to explicate their "reasoning" through the use of firm and clear bible reasoning.

Arbitrary, capricious and whimsical ad hoc policy has been behind every move the Society has ever made. How do we know? They have had to change practically every policy they suddenly came up with!!

Millions now LIVING will never die, Romans 13 (Superior Authorities), Generation of 1914, 1975 and other very public whims have backfired repeatedly on the leadership. They never learn their lesson and never will.

Why?

This religion has always been about creating turbulence, friction and animosity among regular society and manifesting a spirit of chaos which CAN THEN BE USED to demonstrate righteous persecution against JW members and point to the nearness of Armageddon!

• james_woods
    james_woods

Excellent post, Terry.

And let us never forget that the WTS actively encouraged literally millions of letters (inflamatory letters, in view of the issue) to be written to the madman dictator of Malawi and which greatly increased the persecution of the helpless JWs there.

I always thought that was one of the more cold-hearted and cynical forms of masochism by proxy I have ever heard of.

Like Terry says, all for the perceived good of proving "that the Witnesses were persecuted as True Christians".

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

"they can't just make buying the party card a consciounce matter, it's based on the bible, its not something they can just decide."

And yet in Mexico you can (illegally) buy a Military Service card? Isn't that just as bad, political party membership and military membership? Isn't, actually, military membership worse, since you can still be disfellowshipped for joining the military but are allowed under at least some circumstance to vote?

In both countries, the possession of a card showing participation in government stops persecution. In Malawi, JWs were not allowed to get the card, and perished; in Mexico, JWs are allowed to the card, and get away.

It's hypocrisy. Why is it ok for Mexico JWs and not Malawi JWs?

• dinah
    dinah

I can remember the yearbook and some issues of the magazines containing information on how those poor people in Malawi were tortured. I was really young, but I can remember it scared the crap out of me. It made my literally sick. Also it instilled more fear, because we were expecting all hell to break loose and Witnesses to persecuted all over the world.

When I read CoC and found out what was going on in Mexico, it make me furious.

Void, you have a point. Would it be considered a greater sin to hold a political party card or be a member of the military?

• james_woods
    james_woods

Void Eater, the answer is simple:

Mexico - strategy: keep low profile in a high-growth area to avoid trouble with the government. Avoid at all costs having our buildings nationalized...even if it means no bibles, no songbooks, no integrity.

Malawi - strategy: what a great chance to create a "persecution complex in living color". Third-world country; probably be years before it makes much difference in the total numbers. No property to worry about either. So, let's see how many rocks we can throw at this to make something happen.

USA - strategy: 15 to 25 year old guys need to prove their faith. Many are rich and lazy - this will also serve as a good lesson to the rank & file. No deal on the alternative service - making them serve some time will make a better story. However, let us be really really careful with what we put in writing - ( tell them what to do verbally on the back channel ) - don't want to rock the boat very much this close to Brooklyn HQ.

3 standards for 3 circumstances. Lovely display of integrity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit