Great News For Smokers

by Englishman 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

According to The Times, 40% of people who smoke will not contract cancer in their entire lifetime.

This is truly wonderful news for addicts, many of whom have have been pushing their deep misgivings and health concerns into the background, or smoking less or smoking low tar or smoking cigars or inhaling less or smoking in secret or smoking part-time.

What this means in real terms is that for every 5 smokers you observe, only 3 of them are someday destined to suffer what the medical profession refer to as "Night agonies". Briefly, this is a syndrome endured by cancer patients who's discomfort becomes more pronounced in the small hours, sufferers are observed to sometimes hit their heads against their pillows in their frustration with themselves for not having the strength of character to quit.

This is indeed excellent news for smokers, particularly for those who become irritated with goody-goody persons who try to get them to give up. God, those people are so tedious, aren't they?

After all, a 2 out of 5 shot for survival isn't bad odds if you don't compare it to the odds that a non-smoker has of contracting cancer.

Englishman.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

• AMarie
    AMarie

That's great news for a smoker like myself, Englishman. However, you are not considering people who develope other illnesses such as emphasima. Sure, 40% will not get lung cancer, but what about all of those people lugging oxygen tanks around? I'm not sure which would be worse.

AMarie

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

What the hell? So I've been duped all these years! That's it! I'm starting tomorrow!! :)

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I thought the English were meant to be good at sarcasm...

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• philo
    philo

http://www.cannabis.com/untoldstory/hemp_6.shtml

Hello mate'E',

So what about the risks of smoking dope? Save money on booze man & spend it on healthcare. I had my first joint a few months ago and I'm beginning to prefer dope to alcohol...is this waving a red rag at yer? LOL

philo

• Kent
    Kent

E-Man;

I am truly interested in your way of thinking. Do you know that 100% of every person who has been sleeping in bed normally dies before they are 85 years old?

Do you know that 100% of all people who did NOT smoke has died from day one?

Beer drinkers do die as well, so maybe we should stop drinking beer :))

Statistics also say people who drink beer standing on their head whil having a tulip in their ass almost NEVER die.

Just a hint. LOL

Yachyd Da

Kent

I need the new KM's as they come! Please send me scans!

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• mommy
    mommy

Kent LOL

Eguy
    Don't know about those stats. What I do know from personal experience is that long term smokers who do end up quitting, usually have a heart attack or stroke within 6 months. So much emphasis is put on a smoker to quit, they do not educate them to do it the right way. a person who smokes for 10, 20 years has a chemical(s) that are consistenttly entering their body, and are now normal. My blood pressure reached a dangerous level after I quit smoking and I am a 27 year old petite woman. The smoking may not have been the only cause but it was a big part of it. Though in the long run it is a better lifestyle, too many people think the only alternative is to quit completly.
    wendy

When I leave, you will know I have been here

• Englishman
    Englishman

Mommy,

People are vulnerable when they quit because they stop taking rest periods, like saying Whats the point, I can't have a ciggy.

Quitting smoking alters everything, your sense of smell becomes incredibly acute as does your sense of taste.

Seriously, of course there are some side effects to quitting, you cant get away with years of abusing your body then pack it in and expect everything to be roses. Weight gain is inevitable because your metabolism slows down, I put on 10 pounds when I stopped. Your body will start to have mega tantrums when you stop and will try to manipulate you into starting up again. That is why all smokers are rationalisers and justifiers, they know its a killer but will come up with all sorts of justification crap when challenged.

As for pregnant women smoking - ye gods! Now that is really selfish!

Englishman.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

• Andee
    Andee

As someone who smoked for MANY(20+) years, I have to comment on this thread

First off, I lost two of my grandparents to smoking related illnesses.
    I KNOW that they would have had longer lives had they quit. And the agony my Grandmother lived in those last years dragging an oxygen tank around; it still makes me sad to think about it.

I think that Mommy's personal experience with people dying within months of quitting is an aberration. I know of at least half dozen people that had 20+ years of smoking that have quit in the last 2 years. ALL are alive and feeling fantastic. One of them being my sister, who had such a nagging cough and serious lung damage that she was told by her Dr. she would probably have an oxygen tank of her own to drag around by the time she was 40. It's so nice to talk with her on the phone and not have to listen to her gasp and cough.

The other being my Mother. She quit 5+ years ago. She is also among the living. I am also alive and well after quitting 6 years ago this month. I know of more, but I will spare everyone. My family is now completely smoke free.

Now, my best girlfriend is a staunch smoker. Yes, she is aware of all the health risks. However, now, it's biting her on the ass. She wants to get a government job. She the degree and the qualifications.
    The problem? One requirement is that she has to pass a "treadmill" test. She tries to take a short walk and she's gasping. She still refuses to quit. She's willing to pay the price, I suppose.

What I remember is something a doctor told my Mom. To illustrate just how bad smoking is. He told her that he would rather her gain 100 pounds than to smoke.

Just a note, Eman. I never, ever, smoked when I was pregnant.

Andee

Edited to add that people usually don't gain weight because of the absence of smoking cigarettes. They gain because they eat more.

• mommy
    mommy

Ye gads Eman

We are basically saying the same thing here. After years of consuming chemicals that our body has gotten used to, out body goes into a fit when they are removed. My thinking is emphasis on quitting the right way. Also I really don't think it is our place to decide why a person will not quit. That is just too judgemental for me. If they decide to continue smoking, that is their right. Unlike other addicts a smoker is less likely to be a threat to society. To each his own.

As far as a pregnant woman smoking, I tend to agree with you. But then again I would be judgemental if I told someone she was selfish. The very act of having a child is selfish as well don't you think? I just feel as the host of an infant you should do your darndest to make sure they have the most healthy start.

Btw, I don't smoke now, I am pregnant
    wendy

When I leave, you will know I have been here

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit