Another question for elders/ex-elders...

by Mickey mouse 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

...do the society instruct you to destroy notes taken during judicial committee cases? Did you ever keep any for any purpose?

Mickey.

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway

All notes are kept and placed in an envelope with the "publishers" name on the outside.The names of the three brothers on the committee are also written on the bottom outside of the envelope along with the date and the action that was taken, disfellowship or reproof.The sealed envelope is then placed in the congregation file which is kept locked; each elder has a key to the file.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

And it's kept there forever? Uurgh, don't like the sound of that! Just asking because on more than one occasion I remember stumbling upon notes from JC's at home (dad was an elder). I remember thinking I would never tell anyone anything if it was going to be left around for anyone to find.

Mickey.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Oh that's nothing, the boneheads in my congregation would write the person's name on the outside of the envelope and under it the reason for being DF'd. Incredible. They had stuff in the file about people who had been dead a long while. I cleaned the sucker out and scratched the reasons off the front of the envelopes. I learned of a brother who had been having sex with animals that way. Ew. It was hard to shake his hand after that. W.Once

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    And it's kept there forever?

I don't know the rules on that, but not forever. Our secretary cleaned out files on people who
    had been dead or had been long in good standing since the incident. I don't think he was
    violating any rules. Maybe it's ten years they are supposed to be there. I never really cared
    or asked how long they stay there.

It is true that only the 3 committee members are supposed to know the details of a JC and
    the envelope could be opened by any elder. Most are properly trained drones that won't open
    the envelope. Besides, why should they when the elders will surely gossip about the whole
    situation if it's a good story, anyway?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit