How do you get a book published?

by Awakened at Gilead 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Thanks to all - and A@G for the initial question.

Lori and I are working on a non-fiction book and book proposal (not about JWs) right now, and this info has been very encouraging and helpful. I'm a professional newspaper and magazine writer and editor, but getting a book published is a whole new field for me.

I think the area we're writing about (exceptional health and fitness for people over 50 - more for the 'let's get ripped and go rock climbing and mountain biking' crowd as opposed to the 'let's put on our pink sweat suits and power stroll the mall' types!) would have a much broader market potential than a book about JWs, especially with the baby boomers now just exploding the over 50 population.

So, wish us luck, and thanks for any help and suggestions you might give. And we wish the best for any others who proceed with their projects.

S4

• parakeet
    parakeet

Subscribe to Writer's Digest. It will tell you everything you need to know about writing and getting your writing published.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I subscribed to WD for years. I think you can probably get all of that info on-line now for free.

The thing I learned that helped a lot in my writing career is to make as many personal connections in the writing world as possible. I've gotten tons of jobs that way - by people coming to me that knew me.

S4

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I've had a book published by a major publishing company, and I've self-published. Unless you have a block-buster, I think you make more money self-publishing. Writer's Market has a lot of information. However, you can find most of it online for free. I also went to a huge book publisher's convention and took a lot of seminars. It was worth the price of admission. Also at those things, you can meet editors, agents, publishers, printers, all sorts of good connections. Check out the regional trade shows on their web site: http://www.bookweb.org/index.html

edited to add: of course, you have to do it all, including marketing, if you self-publish, so you have to be self-motivated.

• str8?so is spaghetti..until you heat it up
    str8?so is spaghetti..until you heat it up

I work for a Publisher, and am fortunate enough to work closely with one of the Commissioning Publishers - so it is easy for me to find my way in and get my work commissioned.

For the average Joe Blow, just remember that Publishing houses are deluged every day with manuscripts. As a result, many will only accept submissions from people who are represented by literary agents.

Agents vary according to the field of writing you are looking at (Non Fiction, fiction, children's). And many also do not accept manuscripts that have not been accredited. (ie someone has brought their attention to the work, or you have paid a company to review your manuscript) In which case, you need your work to be commercially viable, and stand out from the pack of other hungry authors.

Self Publishing is quite often the easiest route.

But, as many who have already commented on this thread have noted, it all depends on what you are hoping to gain from your work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit