My Huge Phobia of flying!! Damn the Wright Brothers!!

by Witness 007 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I was supposed to fly tommorrow but I put off booking the tickets....and now I've chickened out and will take an 11 hour train ride all night...compared to 1 hour flight. I have butterflys in my stomach and I can't relax. I don't trust airplanes or pilots! My favourite show was Aircrash Investigation....this helped my flying fear....I know flying is safer then driving, but I'm only confortable on the ground.....my longest flight has been 1 hour.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I know what you mean. 14 years ago I took a round trp flight from Cleveland to Savannah. Unless my brother is living cross country and needs a kidney, it will never happen again.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

There are some really good "fear of flying" groups out there. Phobias don't have anything to do with logic. I watch those Aircrash and Seconds from disaster all the time. I used to be on a safety committee and went to a crash site. I do trust the pilots and their training. That's why there is more than one of them up there. Sometimes the fear has to do with an unrelated event in your life, not having a sense of control.

I just avoid older aircraft. Pay attention to that stupid safety briefing and study the card and memorize where the exits are. Mentally practice how you would evacuate. That gives you a feeling of personal control.

Take a pill.

• John Doe
    John Doe

There are a lot more train derailments than there are plane crashes.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Fly and enjoy it. You'll probably never know your off the ground.

Sit back and have beer and look out the window.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Must be very uncomfortable in Australia. What about the traditional over-the-counter sleeping pill?

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I was thinking of pills but the anxiety before the flight is hard to deal with.

As regards the saftey demo. I know thats a load of crap...."IF the plane lands on water put your life jacket on etc. ...there has never ever been a safe landing on the ocean....ever! Its like landing on jaggered concrete....one plane ditched in the ocean when it ran out of fuel. The huge engines acted like water scoops and tore the plane to bits.

And of course in case of crash lean forward......yeah right!

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I can't blame you, I have the same fear....wonder how I will make to England????

h4o

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

I read somewhere that the only reason why they put you in the crash position is so that they can identify you after the crash, because your body would stand a chance of staying in one piece and they could work out who you were through your dental records……..Nice………

The first plane I ever went up in, I jumped out of. I did a parachute jump when I was younger. I didn’t actually land in a plane till I was about 20. But I must say that I was more nervous about going up in a plane without a parachute than with.

Not too keen on flying but it must be a nightmare if you have a phobia…………

• erandir
    erandir

I'm from the Dayton, Ohio, area, and therefore, I have to defend the Wright Brothers since they are associated with this city as well. :)

Yeah...I certainly know where you are coming from with this flying phobia thing. My own flying anxiety has been getting worse with each flight I take. I just hate that feeling of being 6 miles up in the sky in a tube of aluminum that is probably older than I am. It gives me chills just thinking about it. Yet it is supposed to be safer than the daily commute by car that I make to work and back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit