Nazi Attandants at the DC, any stories?

by yourmomma 11 Replies latest jw friends

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

i remember at the last DC in the bathroom their was an attendant and his job was to pass out one paper towl for each person after they washed their hands. i asked him for another because i wanted to blow my nose and he said "you have enough". again, another wake up moment for me. that was the same convention that my 60 year old mother who was having an allergy attack was told, almost forced,to sit back down while she was standing in the corridor trying to compose herself after a major caughing fit. And finally the one that takes the cake, my dad is a diabetic, and after the ban of blankets and sitting on the floor in the corridor at the vet, he was feeling very sick and the extreme heat made him feel sicker. so he sat on his ice chest out on the hallway with his head down. an attendant came up to him and told him he cannot sit there, my father explained that he was just sitting there for a few moments so he can wait for his sickness to pass. the attendant wouldn't let him and told him he either had to go back to his seat or go to the nurse.

part of me wants to go to the dc and do things that i know will piss them off, like stand during the session. i want to just stand next to the attendant with the "please be seated" sign in defiance. or refuse to use the handrail on the way back to my seat. i am an adult, i know what a fucking hand rail is, and if i need to use it, i will.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

As if the crap spiritual monosodium glutamate wasn't bad enough, there are all these inflexible rules. So what happens if someone gets sick there? And one towel (which were small like that because children need less than adults) is usually not enough--the general rule is one towel for small children, two for older children and adults with small hands, three for most adults, and up from there for people with very large hands. And an extra one if they insist on wiping out the sink with it.

I don't believe in forcing people to use the handrails. Most people realize that they are there for safety, and they are more important while going down the stairs than when going up. And they need to make exceptions for people with medical conditions in seating arrangements. Or, perhaps anyone with a medical condition or that might need more than one towel or three squares of toilet paper should just not go at all.

• VM44
    VM44

The "attendents" don't care about the people. They only care about pleasing those in authority over them who gave them their instructions.

In short....THEY ARE GOONS.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I did not encounter any paper nazis during my foray into the bathroom, and that is a good thing. I barely tolerate someone telling me what to do if they have a badge and a gun, without those trappings of raw power anything they say is a dead letter. I wonder if they also tell a man how many times to shake his junk after urination so he does not stray into the evil (though not mentioned in the Bible) practice of masturbation.

I did notice and record the "announcements" of instructing grown adults how to do the most basic things, like recycling bottles and cans, as if they were children. Such a condescending attitude is telling about how the powers that be view you and it is not pretty, my friends.

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It

Ah the Vet. Good times and great memories. Funny none of them are about the actual programs! ;-)

Mostly sleeping in my car when we couldn't find a buddy's hotel room (days before EVERYONE had a mobile). Hanging out with chicks from other congregations. Watching everyone move like a sundial trying to stay in the shadows of the arena. Chilling in the breezeway. Perpetually walking from 700 to 500 looking for hotties. Rushing to South Street or King of Prussia for fun. Coke & Cheesesteaks around the corner on Broad beat Shast-air crap soda and a nasty burrito any day. Trying to see "that girl" again on Saturday and Sunday.

Yes, lame attempts at hooking up were 50% of our activity especially once I was allowed to drive and hang out with friends. Actually I met one of my best friends ever from HIM coming to talk to some girls from my hall I was sitting with. I miss him. He's out in "the world" somewhere. I wish he'd call. I'm easier to find than him. Don't look for me at a KH though!

Not Phillin It. (Lame, I know)

• HSS1971
    HSS1971

Ahhh !! The Vet !!

I was baptised at the Vet in 92. My next to last convention there I was sitting with my then wife, now my EX wife (thank God). I want to know if there is anyone on this board who was there and remembers a big-boned black sister turning around and loosing her footing, I guess she mis-judged where the step was, and tumbled down the steps. I was the white guy laughing my a$$ off as I saw several brothers at the bottom of the steps with their arms out like they were gonna catch a football. It was funny in the moment, but it's also kinda sad. To be fair I was stoned that morning.

I do remember the attendants holding the "Please Be Seated" signs. But I still went walking around checking out the hot women. In fact I confess that thats the ONLY reason I liked the conventions. The women would dress so skimpy and sexy. If I was walking up the steps, I'd have my shades on and looking at the women who sat on the seats spread eagle. I wonder if they did that on purpose.

I'd never go to the conventions now. They would creep me out too much.

• blondie
    blondie

I have a physical disability which requires a certain type of chair. So we checked it out with the elders and took my chair and sat in the disabled section. Now I'm fairly young and my disability is not visually apparent. The attendant came up to tell me I had to leave. I said that I was disabled and had a disabled tag for my car. He didn't want to discuss it. My husband went to get the convention overseer (an elder in our congregation) who did come out to see what the problem was. He told this attendant that I WAS disabled and that I could be there, with my special chair, and that my husband could also sit with me. Can you believe that this attendant still would not back down and started arguing with the convention overseer. The attendant ended up losing his "job." It turned out he had hassled several others including the CO's MIL.

I always learned to go up the chain of command. I also check with the convention building administration as to their rules and the legal aspects and found that this attendant and the attendant overseer were out of line. It helps to know the convention building administration.

Blondie

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

It might be even more helpful to not go to the conventions at all. In fact, you should run for your life away from anything to do with JWs.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard
    It might be even more helpful to not go to the conventions at all.

That would solve a lot of other problems. It is usually more comfortable in front of my computer than sitting in the seats of a stadium that was designed for people to occupy for a couple of hours, not all day.

Additionally, you don't have to worry about how many sheets of toilet paper or towels you use per trip to the bathroom while you are at home. You can eat pretty much whatever you like, at any time, instead of when they tell you. If you have special needs, you can accomodate them at home. And no lighting issues, having to be seated at a certain time, the Keep Moving signs, or getting crap releases that do not work and having to exclaim how wonderful they are.

All you miss is the same story. And a few canned experiences that may or may not be live (and will probably be more MP3 recordings with the mics as props, along the lines of doing away with live Kingdumb Malady performances).

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    Can you believe that this attendant still would not back down and started arguing with the convention overseer. The attendant ended up losing his "job." It turned out he had hassled several others including the CO's MIL.

That's what happens when a shell of a man gets a tiny bit of authority in his life...he has to run with it like crazy, because when the fantasy world of the convention is over, life on the bottom ain't much fun.

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you, Blondie. At least the prick got busted down a peg.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit