Qualifications for being an elder, MS, etc.?

by bluesbreaker59 10 Replies latest jw friends

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

Where is that one found? I thought it was somewhere from Corinthians to Ephesians. I need it for a debate that I'm having with some friends. Also where is the one about "Those in charge are held to a higher standard"?

Thanks in advance.

• blondie
    blondie

(1 Timothy 3:1-10) 3

That statement is faithful. If any man is reaching out for an office of overseer, he is desirous of a fine work. 2 The overseer should therefore be irreprehensible, a husband of one wife, moderate in habits, sound in mind, orderly, hospitable, qualified to teach, 3 not a drunken brawler, not a smiter, but reasonable, not belligerent, not a lover of money, 4 a man presiding over his own household in a fine manner, having children in subjection with all seriousness; 5 (if indeed any man does not know how to preside over his own household, how will he take care of God’s congregation?) 6 not a newly converted man, for fear that he might get puffed up [with pride] and fall into the judgment passed upon the Devil. 7 Moreover, he should also have a fine testimony from people on the outside, in order that he might not fall into reproach and a snare of the Devil. 8 Ministerial servants should likewise be serious, not double-tongued, not giving themselves to a lot of wine, not greedy of dishonest gain, 9 holding the sacred secret of the faith with a clean conscience. 10 Also, let these be tested as to fitness first, then let them serve as ministers, as they are free from accusation.

(Titus 1:5-9) 5 For this reason I left you in Crete, that you might correct the things that were defective and might make appointments of older men in city after city, as I gave you orders; 6 if there is any man free from accusation, a husband of one wife, having believing children that were not under a charge of debauchery nor unruly. 7 For an overseer must be free from accusation as God’s steward, not self-willed, not prone to wrath, not a drunken brawler, not a smiter, not greedy of dishonest gain, 8 but hospitable, a lover of goodness, sound in mind, righteous, loyal, self-controlled, 9 holding firmly to the faithful word as respects his [art of] teaching, that he may be able both to exhort by the teaching that is healthful and to reprove those who contradict.

• sir82
    sir82

Requirements for being an elder, in order of descending importance:

1) Having a penis

2) Ten hours of field service per month or more

3) Getting along well with the elders already in the congregation

4) Family appears to be theocratic, i.e., they answer "enough" at the meetings, go out in field service "enough", etc.

5) Visibility in the congregation - do other people see you in field service, see you giving comments, etc.

6) Scriptural considerations of 1 Timothy & Titus

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Certainly, most of the hounders are beyond reason. Why they don't actually enforce that qualification, I will never know--except that they would lose all their hounders and people would actually be allowed to earn a decent living instead of wasting all their time in field circus.

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

Thank you Blondie; how bout the one about those presiding over you being held to a higher standard? I'm debating with a friend about a church ruling, not a JW matter, I don't have anything to do with that unreasonable cult these days.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

those that can get their tongue the brownest from ass licking - or the tip of their nose brown from ass kissing

• DJK
    DJK
    a man presiding over his own household in a fine manner, having children in subjection with all seriousness

My father stepped down as elder after all six of his children left the Witnesses. I can't understand why if his children weren't living in the same household.

• karter
    karter

Fall all over the CO when he visits. Green handshake helps. Laugh at all the elders silly jokes. Nark out anyone you can.

• fokyc
    fokyc

Presiding O'seer

-

"A kindly man." - from the secret book!

Whose kidding who?

fokyc

• HSS1971
    HSS1971

Sir82 - you forgot about

* lots of butt-kissing and...

* your daddy an elder also

If your dad is an elder and you get appointed, he may train you in a judicial setting how to df someone for the silliest of reasons.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit