by FadingAway 13 Replies latest jw friends

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

What the ...? DMV Offers 10,000 Replacement License Plates

Thursday , June 26, 2008

AP

ADVERTISEMENT alt

RALEIGH, N.C. —

Thanks to some text message-savvy grandchildren, North Carolina drivers whose license plates have the potentially offensive "WTF" letter combination can replace the tags for free.

The News & Observer of Raleigh reported Tuesday the state Division of Motor Vehicles has notified nearly 10,000 holders of license plates with the letter combination. Officials learned last year the common acronym stands for a vulgar phrase in e-mail and cell phone text messages.

But this week, the DMV officials got another surprise when they learned the same letters appeared on the agency's own Web site on a sample personalized plate.

"I can't believe it," DMV Commissioner Bill Gore said Monday when told about the online glitch. "Obviously, I didn't know it was there."

Officials are working to remove the sample plate.

The "WTF-5505" used on the Web site's sample plate was the first random letter combination available when DMV switched from blue- to red-lettered plates, officials said. DMV spokeswoman Marge Howell received a sample plate WTF-5506 to use as a prop for news stories about the switch.

A 60-year-old technology teacher from Fayetteville complained about the plate last July after her teenage grandchildren clued her in.

I know several witnesses that were ecstatic when they got "NWT" plates. However their car was made by an unknown company and was always in the shop due to inconsistencies and errors in manufacturing.

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

That's funny. My other Volvo (that my sister-in-law drives and pays for) has TX WTF plates. We rib her about it all the time.

• TinyDancer124
    TinyDancer124

I want WTF plates.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

I'm surprised they are replacing them for free. NC doesn't ever do anything for free!

I'm going to have to check our plates and see what they say! Used to have personalized plate, but the damn thing cost $80 a year!! turned that sucker in!!

• Casper
    Casper

LOL....

That was funny, I sooo want one !!

Cas

• VM44
    VM44

This is ridiculous!

In the context of being on a license plate and followed by number, "WTF" doesn't mean what it means in text or online chat conversations!

People are being too sensitive.

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

The beginning of mine has ASVF, A Single Violent Female, as my hubby so kindly pointed out. I hit him repeatedly for it.

Bobbi

• Priest73
    Priest73

Much adu about nothing.

I mean really? WTF?

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

WTF-1337 w00t

• VM44
    VM44

WTF-1914

Share this