Acts 7:59

by civicsi00 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

Riddle me this about Acts 7:59.

OK, so last night I pulled out the 1985 Kingdom Interlinear and just started perusing through it. After a while, I arrived at Acts 7:59 where Stephen "appealed" to Jesus. This is what I also found:

-In the 1985 edition, they used the word "appeal", BUT with an asterisk next to it. The asterisk leads you to a footnote, and the footnote states something like this: 'or "invocation, prayer" '.

But:

-In the 1969 edition, they also used the word "appeal", with no footnote.

-The NIV bible uses the word "prayed".

So my question is this: Did the Watch Tower shoot themselves in the foot by adding this little footnote to their 1985 edition? Because according to the May 15, 2008 WT, page 31, they posed this question/answer:

Was Stephen praying to Jesus? No, he was not. One's worship-and therefore one's prayers-should go only to Jehovah God. (Luke 4:8; 6:12) Under normal circumstances, Stephen would have appealed to Jehovah in the name of Jesus. (John 15:16) In this instance, though, Stephen had a vision of "the Son of man standing at God's right hand." (Acts 7:56) Fully aware that Jesus had been given the power to resurrect the dead, Stephen spoke, but did not pray, directly to Jesus, asking Him to safeguard his spirit. -John 5:27-29.

(I also noticed that they capitalized the word "Him" instead of just "him" when they referred to Jesus in the above paragraph... isn't that also odd? I thought they only did that when referring to Jehovah.)

• godadist
    godadist

If I am not mistaken "appeal" is within the semantic range of the original word but you can bet that the WTS will always select the word in the range that best fits with their theology.

Besides, when do JWs ever appeal to Jesus for help? It is all Jehovah.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

And here's the clincher.

2 Cor. 12:8-10

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

How about Acts 7:60 in the NWT?... they arbitrarily add the name Jehovah, even though Stephen is just talking, praying, invoking, whatever they want to call it, to Jesus, not Jehovah. They have no basis to add the Tetragramaton there whatsoever.

A@G

• booby
    booby

*** w05 1/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers *** Questions From Readers Does Stephen’s exclamation at Acts 7:59 indicate that prayers should be directed to Jesus? Acts 7:59 says: “They went on casting stones at Stephen as he made appeal and said: ‘Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.’” Those words have raised questions in the mind of some, since the Bible says that Jehovah is the “Hearer of Prayer.” (Psalm 65:2) Did Stephen really pray to Jesus? Would this indicate that Jesus is the same as Jehovah? The King James Version says that Stephen was “calling upon God.” Understandably, then, many draw the conclusion reached by Bible commentator Matthew Henry, who said: “Stephen here prays to Christ, and so must we.” However, that viewpoint is erroneous. Why? Barnes’ Notes on the New Testament makes this honest admission: “The word God is not in the original, and should not have been in the translation. It is in none of the ancient [manuscripts] or versions.” How did the word “God” come to be inserted into that verse? Scholar Abiel Abbot Livermore called this “an instance of the sectarian biases of the translators.” Most modern translations, therefore, eliminate this spurious reference to God. Nevertheless, many versions do say that Stephen “prayed” to Jesus. And the footnote in the New World Translation shows that the term “made appeal” can also mean “invocation; prayer.” Would that not indicate that Jesus is Almighty God? No. Vine’s Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words explains that in this setting, the original Greek word, e·pi·ka·le´o, means: “To call upon, invoke; . . . to appeal to an authority.” Paul used this same word when he declared: “I appeal to Caesar!” (Acts 25:11) Appropriately, then, The New English Bible says that Stephen “called out” to Jesus. What prompted Stephen to make such an appeal? According to Acts 7:55, 56, Stephen, “being full of holy spirit, gazed into heaven and caught sight of God’s glory and of Jesus standing at God’s right hand.” Normally, Stephen would have addressed his requests to Jehovah in the name of Jesus. But seeing the resurrected Jesus in vision, Stephen apparently felt free to appeal to him directly, saying: “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” Stephen knew that Jesus had been given authority to raise the dead. (John 5:27-29) He therefore asked Jesus to safeguard his spirit, or life force, until the day when Jesus would raise him to immortal life in the heavens. Does Stephen’s brief utterance set a precedent for praying to Jesus? Not at all. For one thing, Stephen clearly distinguished Jesus from Jehovah, for the account says that he saw Jesus “standing at God’s right hand.” Also, these circumstances were exceptional. The only other case of such an utterance being directed to Jesus is that of the apostle John, who similarly addressed Jesus directly when he saw Him in vision.—Revelation 22:16, 20. Although Christians today properly direct all their prayers to Jehovah God, they too have unshakable faith that Jesus is “the resurrection and the life.” (John 11:25) As it did Stephen, so faith in Jesus’ ability to raise his followers from the dead can help and sustain us in times of trial.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

For the verses Acts 7:59 - 60, my Bible reads - "As they were stoning Stephen, he called out, 'Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.' Then he fell to his knees and cried out in a loud voice, 'Lord do not hold this sin against them'; and when he said this, he fell asleep."

The footnote to these two verses directs the reader's attention to Luke 23:34, 46 - "[Then Jesus said, 'Father, forgive them, they know not what they do.'] They divided his garments by casting lots...Jesus cried out in a loud voice, 'Father, into your hands I commend your spirit'; and when he said this he breathed his last.'"

I think that the point is to establish a correlation or parallel between Stephen's last moments and Jesus'.

'

• still_in74
    still_in74

NWT - (2
    Corinthians12:8-10) . . .In this behalf I three times entreated the Lord that it might depart from me; 9 and yet he really said to me: "My undeserved kindness is sufficient for you; for [my] power is being made perfect in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, will I rather boast as respects my weaknesses, that the power of the Christ may like a tent remain over me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in weaknesses, in insults, in cases of need, in persecutions and difficulties, for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am powerful.

NIV - 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong

am I missing something? Where is the "clincher"?

• snowbird
    snowbird
    am I missing something? Where is the "clincher"?

You asked that of AnnOMaly, but I believe her point is that the Apostle Paul prayed to Christ to remove the thorn from his side.

From The Message Bible:

2 Cor 12:8-10 At first I didn't think of it as a gift, and begged God to remove it. Three times I did that, and then he told me,

My grace is enough; it's all you need.
    My strength comes into its own in your weakness. Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift. It was a case of Christ's strength moving in on my weakness. Now I take limitations in stride, and with good cheer, these limitations that cut me down to size—abuse, accidents, opposition, bad breaks. I just let Christ take over! And so the weaker I get, the stronger I become.

Notice the ease with which the apostle connects God and Christ?

Sylvia

• logic
    logic

One question I had with this scripture was if Jesus had been given all power and authority , then who do you ask . If Jesus is our mediator for God, then do we bypass Jesus. Jesus said ask anything of me in my name. Did God put Jesus in charge of us. It seems to me that it is as if you would go to the supervisor on a job and then he goes to upper management. The management has put the supervisor in charge. Even in this case the supervisor has not been given all power authority as it is with Jesus. I think that the society confuses this by saying in effect, that we ask Jesus to connect us to Jehovah like he is a switchboard. This is just my opinion.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

The sequence of events in Acts 7 weighs against the WTS' contention that Stephen was addressing Jesus directly as he saw Him in vision rather than praying to Him (though I'm not sure there is really a distinction there). In verse 57, Stephen sees Jesus standing at the right hand of the Father. He is subsequently dragged out of the city and stoned. Are we to understand, then, that the vision persisted during all the time that Stephen was being dragged out of the city? It seems far more likely that Stephen was praying to Jesus in the normal sense.

As an interesting side note, Jesus was seen standing at the right hand of the Father in this text. He is usually seen as sitting at the Father's right hand. Some commentators have speculated that Jesus, in effect, rose from His throne to welcome the soul of the first Christian martyr.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit