Suicides at Bethel

by CunningMan 36 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• CunningMan
    CunningMan

In another thread (I forget which), someone mentioned that somebody committed suicide at Bethel. Is this true and if so, how often does it happen? How many people did it? Obviously, the society would never mention such happenings in the publications.

I know, it's a morbid topic, but I've never heard of this happening before.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

This is an excerpt from the website Beyond Jehovah's witnesses.

.....Not long afterward at the Wollman skating rink in Central Park she met the man who would become my Dad. He was also running away from problems and so they both, propelled by situations that were unpleasant and by the fact that neither of them were "good marriage material" by dub standards were married by Richard Wheelock in 1964. (Some of you will recognize Rich Wheelock as a longtime Factory Overseer and Committee member at Bethel. He ended up drawing attention to the depression and psychological ailments plaguing Bethelites when he was found behind a dumpster underneath his Bethel window dead. He had committed suicide by jumping from his window after suffering a long bout of depression following his wife's death. I guess it finally dawned on the GB after that incident that if psychological problems were the result of spiritual deficiencies, Br. Wheelock should have been the last to suffer.)

Here is another incident of a person from Bethel committing suicide. Check out this website.

http://governingbodyletters.blogspot.com/2008/05/richard-wheelock-committed-suicide-at.html

quite interesting to say the least.

I hope this is helpful .

orangefatcat

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

There was an incident I read about 15 years ago or so. I found the account in a book exposing the Watchtower in a Christian Bookstore.

This was in the 50s or 60s. A foreign sister was serving at beth-hell and apparently had some serious mental issues (sounded bi-polar) and was sent home by beth-hell. She committed suicide by jumping over the side of the ship she was booked on. This account made this suicide out to be a large scandalous cover-up at the time.

Does anyone know anymore about this? If so please feel free to fill in the details.

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

I think that poster ‘new boy’ had the unfortunate experience of one or two when he was in Bethel.

It was a kid who killed himself because he hated Bethel life I recall……

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Yea I believe on Randy's site a few of the Bethelites mention people jumping or killing themselves in passing. I think the post about suicide your referring to was the one where the kid jumped and the Society claimed his body. Anyways needless to say there was no proof they did that.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

they probably cover up a lot of shit at bethell

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Didn't a Bethel boy who was "involved" with Greenlees commit suicide by jumping off a building? When the Andersons were interviewed on one of Fearon's conference calls, they said suicide wasn't common at Bethel. I think the number is higher among the rank and file.

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

Interesting - didn't the newspaper article say there was a memorial held at a Hall? Reminds me of the young father and husband that hung himself in the family garage who was NOT allowed to have a memorial at the Kingdom Hall... Isn't there still a question about whether suicides will be "resurrected"?

brunn

• oompa
    oompa

hey you ok cunning man?....kind of an odd topic.......oompa

• mouthy
    mouthy

About that sister that jumped overbboard the ship

I understand that many of the bro's & sis's at Bethel knew she was really ill. & went to the top dogs to say they would all contribute to have her go home by plane..But the top dogs refused & said she had to go by boat. She jumped overboard...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit