The article that says you can't even internally question the borg

by B_Deserter 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

It was from the eighties, and basically it said that even questioning the organization in your mind and not telling another soul about it is still apostasy. I'm working on a blog entry about the new stance on college and elders' kids and I want to cite it. Thanks.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

You need Jwd's finest...to answer that...

Oh Blondie where are you?

h40

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

You may be thinking of a letter, not an article, that I believe was cited in CoC.

Of course, there are plenty of articles counseling against independent thinking, but I suppose that's not what you're after?

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

Pg 341 of Crisis of Conscience, 2002 edition:

Letter dated Sept 1, 1980,

"TO ALL CIRCUIT AND DISTRICT OVERSEERS

Keep in mind that to be disfellowshipped, an apostate does not have to be a promoter of apostate views... if a baptized Christian abandons the teachings of Jehovah, as presented by the faithful and discreet slave, and persists in believing other doctrine despite Scriptural reproof, then he is apostasizing. Extended kindly efforts should be put forth to readjust his thinking. However, if, after such extended efforts have been put forth to readjust his thinking, he continues to believe the apostate ideas and rejects what he has been provided through the 'slave class,', then appropriate judicial action should be taken."

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Interesting...The Pay Attention to the Flock Book for elders said this : p 94.95

"Apostasy .

Apostasy is a standing away from, a falling away, defection, rebellion, abandonment ; it involves teaching false doctrines, supporting or promoting false religion and its holidays or interfaith activities. (Deut . 13 :13, 15 ; Josh.

22 :22, ftn . ; Acts 21 :21, ftn. ; 2 Cor. 6 :14, 15, 17, 18 ;

2 John 7, 9, 10 ; Rev . 18 :4)

Those with sincere doubts should be helped, dealt with mercifully . (Jude 22, 23 ; w82 9/1 pp . 20-1 ; w80 8/1

Apostasy includes action taken against true worship of Jehovah or his established order among his dedicated people . (Jer . 17 :13 ; 23 :15 ; 28 :15, 16 ; 2 Thess. 2 :9, 10)

Persons who deliberately spread (stubbornly hold to and speak about) teachings contrary to Bible truth as taught by Jehovah's Witnesses are apostates .

If it is learned that a person has taken up association with another religious organization, the matter should be investigated,and if verified, a committee should be formed .

If it is clearly established that the person has joined another religion and intends to remain with it, the

elders would make a brief announcement to the congregation that such one has disassociated himself. (w8610/15 p . 31)

Working secularly for a false religious organization could put one in a position similar to that of one preaching false doctrine . (2 Cor. 6 :14-16)

Celebrating a false religious holiday would be similar to performing any other act of false worship . (Jer . 7 :16-19)"

That reads to me that one has to be spreading ideas cotrary to WT teaching in order to be judged apostate?

If it were an Orwellian "Thoughtcrime" then an awful lot of dubs that I know could be d/f'd. A lot tell me thet do not accept that all non J W's will die at Armageddon. Some openly doubt the literal peace with animals in the New World. Some have "personal thoughts" on the ressurection ....

• sir82
    sir82
    (stubbornly hold to and speak about) teachings contrary to Bible truth as taught by Jehovah's Witnesses

I can easily imagine an overzealous judicial committee interpreting that to mean, "let's ask if he believes xyz doctrine. If he says no, he is speaking about it, and stubbornly holding to it, so we can D-F him".

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

A few useful quotes can be found on this page:

http://www.spotlightministries.org.uk/thoughtpolice.htm

"[A] mature Christian must be in unity and full harmony with fellow believers as far as faith and knowledge are concerned. He does not advocate or insist on personal opinions or harbour private ideas when it comes to Bible understanding. Rather, he has complete confidence in the truth as it is revealed by Jehovah God through his Son, Jesus Christ, and "the faithful and discreet slave." (Watchtower, August 1st, 2001, p. 14).

"Avoid independent thinking...questioning the counsel that is provided by God's visible organization." (Watchtower, Jan. 15, 1983 p. 22).

"And just as in the first century there was only one true Christian organization, so today Jehovah is using only one organization. (Ephesians 4:4, 5; Matthew 24:45-47) Yet there are some who point out that the organization has had to make adjustments before, and so they argue: 'This shows that we have to make up our own mind on what to believe.' This is independent thinking. Why is it so dangerous? Such thinking is an evidence of pride. And the Bible says: 'Pride is before a crash, and a haughty spirit before stumbling.' (Proverbs 16:18) If we get to thinking that we know better than the organization, we should ask ourselves: 'Where did we learn Bible truth in the first place? Would we know the way of the truth if it had not been for guidance from the organization? Really, can we get along without the direction of God's organization?' No, we cannot!.. Fight against independent thinking." (Watchtower, January 15, 1983 p. 27).

"The student must express himself as he understands the truth. (Gal. 6:6) He cannot have independent thinking."(The Watchtower, September 1, 1962, p. 524)

With credit to Vince McCann who created Spotlight Ministries for pulling the quotes together.

Greg Stafford also has a relevant discussion in his book Three Dissertations pages 15-33.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I am going beyond merely questioning the washtowel. I am denying them.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

~marked~

thanks

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

But thats not scripturally correct though

1 John 4 : 1
    Test the Spirits

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Every religious power organization has the same policy in place for obvious reasons

Were the JWS ever directed by the true spirtit of God , ......hardly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit