No Emotion at Funerals

by DiscoSandy 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

The last JW funeral I went to (and hopefully the last) was for the father of a friend of mine. Neither of us are JWs now, although we were raised as JWs. The speaker of the talk spent quite a bit of time harrassing my friend and telling him that if he wanted to make his dad proud, he would "come back to the truth". It was sickening.

• FairMind
    FairMind

My 17 year old un-baptized daughter died in an automobile accident. This was and still is the worst tragedy I have experienced. The funeral (a JW funeral) was held at the funeral home and all of the family including aunts , uncles, cousins and of course me balled our heads off. Many of my daughters High school friends also attended and there were many tears there as well. No one (other than family) from the congregation cried but they weren’t close to her.

The talk of course focused on God’s kingdom and the resurrection hope and yes, the speaker suggested that for sure my daughter would be resurrected. The current light at the time of my daughter’s death was that almost everyone who died pre-Armageddon would have a resurrection. The old light (error) was that if a person knew the “truth” and did not dedicate their life to God they would not have a resurrection. There were a few false friends who clung to this line of thought and let me know that my daughter was eternally lost. This hurt but I knew they were just ignorant people much like my Baptist relatives who believed in a burning hell.

I have attended many funerals, particularly Baptist ones where the focus of the sermon was on the deceased. I was always amazed at how wonderful the deceased was described even if they had been sorry excuses for human beings. This was nothing but hypocrisy and was done simply to placate the living attending the funeral. Of course the deceased should not have had their dirty laundry exposed post mortem. Probably the less said about them would have been the right thing.

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

I really don't understand that. I have been to Witness funerals. I really can't say I cried for those that I really didn't know all that well. I didn't cry for my fellow classmates who died while still in school either. I didn't know them well enough.

However those that were close to them certainly cried and showed emotion. I don't think there is anything wrong with showing grief.

That said I beleive that there are those who simply will not display grief in public. It's not in their nature or maybe their upbringing.

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

BluesBrother

Last one I went to, speaker threw in some funny lines and they all laughed ! (true)

Not to make light of your comment but I hope someone will tell a few jokes at mine.

I have always had a twisted, even wierd sense of humor though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit