3 in 10 Americans Admit to Race Bias- But at least we're talking about it

by nvrgnbk 25 Replies latest jw friends

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    I can tell you that some of the racism is a 2 way street.

In the context of the survey - I believe the 3 in 10 includes blacks? You don't have to look very far in the first page of this thread to see that "bias" is a two-way street.

Unfortunately, the words bias, prejudice, discrimination, racism, all get jumbled up and lose their nuances. A conversation about race should start with a definition of terms. I agree with snowbird - we're all biased in that we have preferences. So what? The important thing is - how are those preferences manifest? With fists?

One can have preferences and still be fair.

• *summer*
    *summer*

Yes, ma'am.

Since bias means a leaning toward or a preference, I assert that we all prefer certain people over others.

snowbird...

I apologize for being french and failing to grasp the exact meaning of the word "bias". But...

Unfortunately, the words bias, prejudice, discrimination, racism, all get jumbled up and lose their nuances

And to be honest, I do not necessarily prefer white french people. Perhaps it is just me...

• snowbird
    snowbird

snowbird...

I apologize for being french and failing to grasp the exact meaning of the word "bias". But...

And to be honest, I do not necessarily prefer white french people. Perhaps it is just me...

When I say that I prefer Black people, I don't mean I would discriminate against or treat other people unfairly.

What I mean is that I feel more comfortable being with Black people. Am I making sense?

Sylvia

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    I don't mean I would discriminate against or treat other people unfairly.

What I mean is that I feel more comfortable being with Black people. Am I making sense?

Absolutely. It is human nature. Affinity includes age, socio-economic level, gender, education, etc.

I may prefer the company of educated, older, middle-class folk, but I love being with my little grandchildren, too. When they become teenagers, I will try my best to tolerate them!

• *summer*
    *summer*

Yes it does make sense, Sylvia.

One can have preferences and still be fair.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

"This is a clear example of racism in action. ColdRedRain thinks examples of a few black thuggish types has anything to do with a dialogue on black and white racism. It's as if I brought up meth heads in their run down trailer parks--how loud they were and how the police came out every weekend--applied it to The White Problem and How White People Are. I'd be nothing but a racist, right? A few blacks who identify with a certain (underclass or hip-hop) subculture aren't all blacks, even most blacks and don't have a d@mned thing to do with how black people are, just as a few white meth heads, skin heads, or whatever, have little to do with all white people and how white people are."

Bwahahah! That's the funniest B.S. I ever heard! I wish my favorite Cuban-American was here to see this. Anyway, I know how most of the African-American community thinks because I'm black. I see this behavior all the time on the way to work, school or TKD practice. I went to school with these people. So don't tell me this isn't the truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit