At risk - I dare a discussion of the gay lifestyle/human nature.

by AK - Jeff 64 Replies latest social relationships

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Please do not denigrate this thread. I intend this as serious/honest/trying to understand human nature discussion.

I have known many people who are quite happy living a gay lifestyle. I have a very close family member who is bi-sexual. I know several lesbian couples .

I am not gay - but I am absolutely not homophobic. I have never had desire to live that lifestyle - but am I correct in assuming that most gay people feel a 'natural attraction' to partners of the same sex? If that is true - then how can society, religion, condemn them for that? They are only doing what is inborn [or perhaps learned?] and comes natural to them.

If you believe in God - how can you take position that these 'created beings', obviously created with desires that differ from those of us who are heterosexual, should be declared unfit, out of order, or perverted? Did not God make them that way - whether by personal touch or by genetic predisposition?

This thread was prompted by my reaction to a caller on a radio show on my way home from work today. She vehemently announced that she had called her children's school and demanded that a book on Gay lifestyle [I do not know what book or if it was graphic or not] by removed from the school library. She was clearly self-sure that God would agree with her position on this matter. Of course most Christians quote a couple of texts in the Bible to support the idea that such lifestyle is absolutely an abomination. Yet those same Christians ignore or gloss over perverted sexual relations mentioned there between siblings/parents and children etc.

I don't know what prompted this thread other than that. For the first time in my life I began to think just how unfairly some people are treated in this matter. I don't support or deny 'gay rights'. To me - people are people. I have gay friends who have come to my home on occasion. I go to theirs. I don't often even think of them as gay. I just think of them as people I love. I embrace them as souls seeking to find the best way in life they know how - and finding happiness in an alternate lifestyle from what many consider 'normal'.

I suppose the California same-sex marriage situation has also prompted me to to think about this more lately. If I had any gay friends who wanted to go to California to marry, I would fly out with them and be proud to witness the ceremony. The key in that sentence is friends - not gay.

Well - feel free to chime in if you like. Please don't be disingenuous or unkind. There is enough of that in the world. But if anyone can comment in a way to shed light on what it means to be gay , I would love to hear those comments. I know there are many fine gay persons on this forum. Some may be in the closet yet. Others are open.

This is not 'Gay liberation day' or anything. [As far as I know] I just find myself disgusted with the old me at times - the one who judged everyone for everything. I am so happy to have changed. For had I not - I would have missed the panorama of color and beauty that comes from accepting rather than condemning others.

Likely this seems off-the-wall. And it is a bit. Just something on my mind today.

Jeff

• Open mind
    Open mind

AK-Jeff:

most gay people feel a 'natural attraction' to partners of the same sex? If that is true - then how can society, religion, condemn them for that?

Knee-jerk JW response (and many other fundies as well):

"We're all suffering from Adam's sin. Some are "naturally" inclined to get drunk. It's still a death-worthy sin and must be fought. Same goes for all them homer-sexuals."

Can you feel the love?

om

p.s. Edited to add: I predict a three-page minimum on this thread.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

to heck with the gay stuff, I am still waiting to hear about your Kentucky roadtrip.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Can you feel the love?

om

Precisely. Gluttony is a sin. [To Christians at least]. But eating is not a sin, but natural. Sex is not a sin - so why should sex that is perfectly natural to a person be so classified? Wouldn't it be greater sin to deny how one feels/understands?

Jeff

• Open mind
    Open mind

"The Watchtower God's Word is clear on the matter. If Mr. Willie makes you sin, cut it off!"

Can you feel the love?

Sorry, I can't do anymore. Someone else will have to carry the JW/Fundie banner now.

om

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings Jeff,

I thank you for your straight-forward yet kindly approach to this matter.

I love all kinds of people and have stayed as a guest with hetero- and homosexual pals - male and female. One told me that the reason we have stayed such good friends is because we never had sex (when everyone around us was). I didn't need the WT to dictate what, to me, was simply a matter of obvious human boundaries.

Though my choice to remain celibate appears to have kept my life somewhat safe and sane, I would never interfere with nor dictate another's life choices. The need for loving companionship is not lost on me.

Yes, I do wonder about what you are currently pondering. People are who they are from early on ...

Gratefully,

CoCo

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Well, OM, your prediction seems off this time. Not getting much play.

Jeff

• compound complex
    compound complex

Sorry, Jeff.

The "play," while initially disappointing, is not really the point. What matters is that you have written something meaningful. My tiny contribution is, of itself, nothing more than a drop in the bucket. But yours is the only of such threads that I have responded to BECAUSE it didn't scream "sensationalism."

Speak your truth, as it were, with the confidence that you could touch the heart of a lurker.

I am not a lurker, yet you have touched mine ...

CoCo

• OtisBarker
    OtisBarker

Nature, good.

Doing what comes "natural," good.

Allowing nature to "select," very good.

Messing with the natural order of things, bad.

The strong surviving, good.

The weak disappearing, better.

Big fish eating little fish, awesome.

Strengthening the species, destiny.

It feels good to imagine you're strong.

Vote "natural selection."

Otis

• compound complex
    compound complex
    I hope when what you've written has sunk in, your cousin will appreciate and acknowledge your love and friendship, though he might not agree with your conclusion - a demonstration of unconditional love, wouldn't you say?

CoCo

Agreed. Unconditional love would not force conclusion equal to mine - just a respect of the right to have that opinion on both sides. Refusal to acknowledge that right to opinion is at crux.

Jeff

Not meaning to hijack your thread, Jeff; I c/p this to demonstrate my earlier point.

You are getting through ... be patient.

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit