SHOULD SUSAN ATKINS BE RELEASED FROM PRISON?

by Mary 63 Replies latest social current

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    Bugliosi also wrote the definitive book on the OJ Simpson case, Outrage. Suffice it to say, had Bugliosi been prosecuting the case, Simpson would be behind bars right now.

Yes. I only just became aware of the Bush book and it is on my list to read. I admire Bugliosi's work so much and I was thrilled to meet him at an author's luncheon when he was promoting Outrage. Not suprisingly, if you've read any of his books, he projected humility, warmth and keen intelligence. This is a man who has a genuine passion for justice.

Susan Atkins released? No. If for no other reason than the shred of comfort or peace of mind it gives to the murder victim's families, she should stay in prison.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Sixofnine:

I read Helter Skelter about 6 years ago thinking after reading about the Mason case and seeing both movies. I remember watching the debut of the 2 part movie back in 1976 when I was just a kid and how scary it was. However everything I knew about the case paled in comparison with the details of the book that isn't mentioned much; like the knives used in the killings were sharpened on both sides and how deep the stab wounds were and some of the other unsolved murders at the time that could have been linked to "the family".

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Just take a look in her eyes. When they first caught Karla, I instantly remembered a line from Jaws when Quint said to Brody: "...the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living..."

Funny you say that. That exact phrase hit me 20 years ago about my mother. And yes her eyes were dead. There was a short story I wrote about that, that I posted here long ago.

I hope as many of us, and more, read his latest book titled The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder in which he makes the case that a President can be prosecuted for murder when he lies to the American people into a war that was unnecessary.

You're the second person this week to recommend this book, so next paycheck I need to find this book. I have great respect for Bugliosi. I've read most of his books. Did you ever read And the Sea Will Tell? I was determined never to go sailing afterward.

I read Helter Skelter right after that TV movie came out. Freaked me out. I had to stop reading Outrage. I just got so frustrated and angry, it wasn't an enjoyable read. Incompetent is the nicest thing you can use about the prosecution. I'm still amazed those 12 people set that butcher free.

Bugliosi argues, as do I, that politicians should have no greater exemption from prosecution than do any other workers whose irresponsible actions leads to the death of others.

I thought that was what Watergate was all about. Nixon argued the President was above the law. He said that when the President does a thing, it automatically is legal, okay, just because he is the President.

But I don't think Cheney and Rumsfeld feel that way. I think they knew what they were doing was illegal, morally reprehensible and in violation of everything this country is supposed to stand for. I think they just didn't give a damn. Ego meeting monetary greed mixed with a dash of xenophobia while drunk with power.

And Bush? I think he's more than a puppet, I see him as the frat boy put "in charge", someone who just doesn't understand the overall picture and someone who is more concerned with personal loyalty and patronage.

This President is the epitome of one who chooses to do what is easy rather than what is right. But that's another thread.

Chris

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I was in fifth grade when the Tate Labianca murders took place. I think anyway. There was the rumor that the killers had taken Sharon's baby from her womb and kidnapped the child alive. To me, it was these murders that took away the innocence of the western world of the time.

I read the Bugliosi Helter Skelter in 1978 with horror. I am a kind and compassionate person, but I believe Miss Atkins is living "what goes around, comes around." She deserves only the comforts that would be provided to anyone dying of brain cancer and those comforts can be given within the walls of her prison.

Linda Kasabian did not strike me as someone who was an evil participant. She was taken along and stayed outside the Tate house while the murders were committed. Jay Sebring and Abigail Folger ran outside and were caught and killed near the pool. I can't recall whether Linda saw that part or not.

Tex Charles Watson seemed to be the most evil of them all.

Has anyone heard updates on the dig at the Manson ranch? I wonder if they will indeed find all those missing people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit