Help! Want to use Linux

by hamsterbait 11 Replies latest jw friends

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I have a three year old laptop.

The disk got corrupted, and I don't have the Windows reinstal anymore. God only knows where it went, and he's not telling.

I have decided that I want to just forget Windows for this machine, and use Linux instead. The learning experience could be fun, and instaling it and doing the necessary with the corrupted hard disk should be an interesting project.

I dont want to spend a fortune, but what software would I need if any to prepare the hard disk. Is this something Linux software can do when I install it.

I am also DESPERATE to at least get the damn thing up and running before my mother comes for a visit soon, as it was a present from her; at least if I can get the screen doing stuff she can go home happy.

How do I go about it then?

HB

• brinjen
    brinjen

I would get a 'live' version of Linux first. Cost? Most distros are free. You can either download them or go to a newsagent and buy one of the many Linux magazines which nearly always come with a distro or two on the cover discs.

A live distro of Linux will run entirely from the CD, it doesn't require a hard drive though most will install without any probs. Ubuntu is a popular choice, the install disc can also run live so you can look at it without any commitment whatsoever. My personal favourite is OpenSuSe.

Hope this helps.

• vivalavida
    vivalavida

Hi Hamsterbait,

I would do as brinjen says, but a would also see what kind of experiences others have had with that Notebook using Linux. Especially since Linux tends to be a bit picky with notebook hardware.

Here http://www.linux-laptop.net/ you can find your brand and, hopefully the model and get more information.

Hope this helps.

I have had very good luck with "Mandriva 2008 Spring" and notebooks.

Gook luck,

Vivalavida

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

What do you mean by prepare the hard disk? Do you want to simply wipe it, or were you thinking it would repair of some kind?

Ubuntu is easy to install and has a great community at http://ubuntuforums.org/

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

A live disk is a good start. And Ubuntu is a good distro for a Linux newcomer. This version uses the KDE desktop which I much prefer to the default Gnome desktop.

http://www.kubuntu.org/

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

gnome is way better of course, only christians use kde.

i also recommend ubuntu. you need no extra software to prepare your harddisk. you can download ubuntu for free at ubuntu.com, all you have to do is burn the cd-image to a cd, put it into your computer and start. it'll start from cd and give you an option to install it to your harddisk.

• jstalin
    jstalin

I've been using Ubuntu on my laptop for a couple of months now and I love it. www.ubuntu.com

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    gnome is way better of course, only christians use kde.

Linus Torvalds prefers KDE.

BTS

• theNuge
    theNuge

Like someone else has already, Ubuntu is where it's at. I have a laptop that has it installed and that's what I primarily use.

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

I also suggest Ubuntu.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit