My flood questions

by Moxy 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Celtic
    Celtic

Meet Noah!! He's still in the construction business and not swearing by it.

See my website: www.floodyhell.com

peace

celtic

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

Moxy

I didn't have the time to go over the replies to your questions, but I'll make a stab at answering one of them.

How did the animals like the South American sloth and Antarctic penguin travel to the ark? How did they sustain themselves living in completely different environments?

How did they travel back? How did they get off the mountain?

It seems like the one thing that most people fail to take into consideration when considering such perplexities is the ability which God has to accomplish the unimaginable. What is really so unthinkable about the idea that they got on the Ark simply by God having literally picked them up and transported them there. The same reasoning can apply as to their new environment, etc. Because of God's ability, Paul was taken out to the "third heaven" and brought back in tact. Remember reading about that? For your information, the 3rd heaven happens to be the angelic realm. I'm doing an essay about that on my personal site, but haven't gotten it finished yet. You might find it interesting to view once I'm finished with it. I do have what I think to be a couple of interesting, revealing diagrams which represent the four heavens of God's spherical universe, already posted there. The essay document will go along with those when I find the time to upload it. If it grabs your fancy, you'll find the diagrams by clicking on the button at the lower right of my home page, entitled "The Spherical Design Of The Universe and The Four Heavens.

Yadirf

Daniel 11:35 ... a prophecy that must be fulfilled before the "time of the end" gets underway.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Solid science proves that an earthwide flood did not happen a few thousand years ago. For a detailed look at some of the proofs, see the section "The Flood" here: http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/index2.htm

It's entirely possible that some sort of major flooding catastrophe happened in the Middle East within the last ten thousand years or so, which gave rise to a number of flood legends. Whatever happened, it's certain that a major flood legend was part of Mesopotamian culture by about 3,000 B.C.E., as shown by cuneiform fragments from the Sumerian culture. This alone is proof that the JW notion of Noah's Flood is completely out to lunch.

It's interesting following discussions about the biblical flood story among various sets of believers. Young-earth creationists and many total non-believers insist that the Bible's account teaches a global flood, while most others allow that the story might refer only to a local flood. Personally, I think that the Bible writers, being thoroughly immersed in Middle Eastern culture, adopted the ancient Sumerian tradition along with the Adam and Eve story, and modified it according to their needs.

I was blown away when I learned that the Noah story is actually two stories merged together. They're not particularly consistent with one another, and when you extract the separate stories and set them side by side, the fact that there are two is extremely apparent. This is yet another proof that the Bible is not inspired, because God could not possibly be so clumsy.

AlanF

• Thirdson
    Thirdson
    It seems like the one thing that most people fail to take into consideration when considering such perplexities is the ability which God has to accomplish the unimaginable. What is really so unthinkable about the idea that they got on the Ark simply by God having literally picked them up and transported them there.

On that basis answering Moxy's question is sinch.

How could all the world's highest mountain ranges have been built up in the last few thousand years while providing all the evidence to the contrary?

Because, God made the mountains grow high very quickly while preserving the look of antiquity.

Why do lake varves and ice core samples show no evidence of the Deluge?

Because God created the mile thick ice sheets that only look like the oldest layers are 400,000 tears old.

How can bristlecone pines and other trees show continuous growth through the period to which the Flood is attributed with no signs of spectacular climate changes?

Because God picked them up and preserved them separate to the ark.

How did any flora survive underwater for a year, without sunlight, under fantastic pressures? How did such a devastating blow to worldwide ecosystems not leave geological evidence?

Same reason as previous

How did marine life survive? Different flora and fauna are suited to saltwater, freshwater, coastal areas or deep seas.

Same reason again

Most require sunlight and clean water. How could the turbulent mixing of water and debris not kill off entire ecosystems?

See previous

Why do genetic trees built with genetic biology not show a severe genetic bottleneck so recently?

Because God saved all the diversity separate to the Ark.

Why do so many sites like Egypt, China, Sumer, Indus, America show evidence of continuous human occupation through the time of the Flood?

God preserved human habitats so it only seems that there was continuous occupation.

How did the animals like the South American sloth and Antarctic penguin travel to the ark? How did they sustain themselves living in completely different environments? Why are there no traces of land bridges in geology and no traces of animals indigenous to these other continents in the Middle East?

Answered already

How did they travel back? How did they get off the mountain? How could the same land bridges have arisen after the flood?

God beamed them back Star Trek style

How could a water canopy contain enough water to flood the earth without raising temperature and air pressure to beyond that which could sustain life?

Water canopy didn’t exist, God guided dirty-snowball comets to create the flood.

How could such a large wooden structure have withstood the structural stress of the seas without leaking?

God put a protective force field around it.

How could delicate and evidently ancient structures like the cinder cones at Auvergne or the Great Coral Reef have survived the deluge?

God protected them with special force field enclosed air or water bubbles.

If humanity lived in a small enough area that Noah could have preached to everyone, then why flood the whole planet?

Because God can do anything, didn't you know that, silly?

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

Thirdson

Just one example of your reasoning will suffice:

How can bristlecone pines and other trees show continuous growth through the period to which the Flood is attributed with no signs of spectacular climate changes?
    Your entire argument rests on a date that is "attributed" to have been when the Flood took place. The fact of the matter is, is that no one know exactly when the Flood happened ... just like no one knows when Adam was created. So, you haven't disproven the Bibles account of the Flood simply by relying on a date which people only speculate about. Nice try 3rd Son. You know, if you were to work only half as hard at trying to understand the Bible as you do in trying to disprove its authenticity .......

Yadirf

Daniel 11:35 ... a prophecy that must be fulfilled before the "time of the end" gets underway.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Friday,

Are you saying my speculation as to how God could have brought about the deluge at some unspecified time and not leave a trace is wrong. The Bible is not forth-coming about many aspects of the flood, are my speculations of God's ability to do this wrong?

Nosdriht

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

No, I'm saying that your speculation as to how God could have brought about the deluge at some unspecified time and not leave a trace is wrong.

Get it? I don't!

Yadirf,
    who is headed to bed ... because he apparently needs some sleep ... because he hasn't the foggiest idea about what the 3rd male that popped out of his mother's womb is talking about.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Friday,

You lost me. So I will just make a comment on this:

The fact of the matter is, is that no one know exactly when the Flood happened
    This is true but the time frame according to the Bible is 66 generations prior to Jesus. The Gospel writer Luke lists the genealogy of Jesus (Luke 3: 23-38). At 30 years to 50 years per generation would set the flood according to Luke at between 1980 BCE and 3300 BCE. According to the Insight book the WTS dates the flood at 2370 BCE. Maybe you are one of these people who doesn't believe in all of the Bible and pick and choose which bits are true. I take it you don't rely on the WTS for Biblical interpretation and it apears you don't accept Luke's genealogy either. Because accepting either would put the flood within the life span of Bristlecone pine.

Thirdson

• AlanF
    AlanF

Good points, Thirdson! You'll note that our present Bible defender, as usual, uses slippery arguments that merely avoid fundamental problems. Unlike those of certain other defenders, these arguments are quite clumsy.

As you pointed out, if one takes various Bible statements that have to do with establishing some sort of "Bible chronology" literally, one is forced to conclude that Noah's Flood occurred sometime within the last four to five thousand years. If one allows that certain Bible statements have a certain amount of slop in them, one might go back as far as perhaps 10,000 years, and that is exactly what a number of young-earth creationists do. Allowing that Noah's Flood might have happened any earlier pretty much requires rejecting a literal or semi-literal "Bible chronology". And if one rejects it, then there is not much point in trying to argue for a literal Flood. The problem even with a 10,000-year time frame, of course, remains: tree-ring dating using bristlecone pines in California, and other types of trees in several locations around the world, has been extended back to around 10,000 years -- and there is no sign whatsoever that trees around the world all began sprouting anew at that time, or any time since, or any time before. Thus, solid science solidly disproves the Flood account as a worldwide event.

Of course, tree-ring dating is just one of hundreds of bits of good science that debunk the notion of a worldwide Flood. But fanatical or dishonest or emotionally crippled Bible-believers will always hold on to their emotional crutch. What would they have without it?

AlanF

• Yadirf
    Yadirf
    But fanatical or dishonest or emotionally crippled Bible-believers will always hold on to their emotional crutch. What would they have without it?

"Fanatical, or dishonest, or emotionally crippled Bible-believers"? In whose opinion? Why the opinion of an agnostic, of course. In other words, one who has a brain that is so very complex that it most assuredly had to have had a Creator, but who can't make up his mind for sure whether there is a Creator or not.

tree-ring dating using bristlecone pines in California, and other types of trees in several locations around the world, has been extended back to around 10,000 years
    That would mean that there has to be a petrified tree somewhere in existence that contains 10,000 rings, right?

Let's suppose for the sake of argument that the separation between rings were to average 1/16 of an inch (or .0625 of an inch.)

Now:
    .0625 X 10,000 rings = 625 inches = over 52 feet from the center of the tree to the outside. Multiply that by 2 = 104 feet for the diameter of the tree. Correct?

Can you point to a petrified tree that is 104 feet in diameter?

Yadirf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit