30,000 US troops to go home in July.

by BurnTheShips 25 Replies latest social current

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

In the Iraqi news:

http://66.111.34.180/look/english/article.tpl?IdLanguage=1&IdPublication=4&NrArticle=82678&NrIssue=2&NrSection=1

Weird!? For some bizarre reason this news didn't make any headlines in the US today.

Hmm.

The text:

Baghdad, Jun 16, (VOI) - U.S. President George Bush on Monday announced the withdrawal of 30,000 troops next July, highlighting that any further withdrawal of the troops will depend on the security conditions in the country.

This came during a joint press conference with British Prime Minister Gordon Brown in London.
    The U.S. president linked any further withdrawal of U.S. forces with the improvement of Iraqi forces’ capabilities and their abilities to bear more responsibilities, as well as the economic improvement and more progress regarding political reconciliation.
    “This strategy aims at handing Iraqis more responsibilities,” Bush said.
    For his part, Brown denied any impact of the political argument on his government’s stance.
    “There is a work to do in Iraq and we will continue our work,” Brown added, stressing that he would not outline any time table for British forces withdrawal.
    He highlighted that his forces realized more progress in Iraq as well as the Iraqi forces. Reports have been circulated over possible British withdrawal from Iraq by the end of 2008. Brown also said during a press conference last week that he will deliver a speech on British forces' deployment in Iraq before the parliament's recess.
    The British forces in the oil-rich port city of Basra, 590 km south of the Iraqi capital Baghdad, keep 4,100 troops within the MNF in Iraq after withdrawing more than half of its forces.
    Britain was the United States' prime ally in the March 2003 invasion of Iraq.
    Ceremonies to hand over security responsibilities in Basra province from the British forces to the Iraqi authorities took place at the Basra International Airport in December 2007.

Apparently, as General Petraus' strategy has succeeded over time, the mainstream media has reduced it's coverage of the war by 92%. Can't be reporting good news on the war now can we?

Even the Associated Press wonders:

Signs are emerging that Iraq has reached a turning point. Violence is down, armed extremists are in disarray, government confidence is rising and sectarian communities are gearing up for a battle at the polls rather than slaughter in the streets.

Those positive signs are attracting little attention in the United States, where the war-weary public is focused on the American presidential contest and skeptical of talk of success after so many years of unfounded optimism by the war's supporters.

The AP blames the lack of public attention on the public itself. As if the public sent a petition to the AP telling them "please embargo all information about any American/coalition victories in Iraq, we'd just really rather not know. Oh, PS, more Haditha and Abu Ghraib, yes please!"

BTS

• Simon
    Simon

The reduction in fighting is largely the result of US troops withdrawing back into their bases.

And yes, this is the big problem with American foreign policy - the short attention span.

So, you pack up and leave and wonder why, in 20-30 years time there is an oil-rich nation that wants to kick your ass for what you did to their country. Not that this is like your previous meddling in Iran at al ...

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    The reduction in fighting is largely the result of US troops withdrawing back into their bases.

Petraeus pulled the troops out of the bases and forward deployed them to engage the insurgency on the streets, the complete opposite. Also the fighting reduced in conjunction with an increase in US forces a "surge" that started a year ago. So no, not withdrawing back to bases, but quite the opposite.

BTS

• Gopher
    Gopher

The American economy has taken a deep southward turn, between the mortgage crisis and the rising cost of fuel and basic necessities. So it's little wonder that Americans have turned their attention there. As you said in another thread, the upcoming election will be decided based on the national economy. This seems it will hold even if one or both of the candidates tries to focus on the war.

That having been said, the media should publish both the good and bad news coming from Iraq. During the Vietnam war, the violence was brought right into our living rooms, and the fact that Americans were coming home dead was clearly shown. Now the media is prohibited from showing the caskets of returning soldiers. We just hear about the numbers of casualties and the locations of IED's used. This Iraq conflict has been a war from which Americans have been strategically detached (after the initial capture of Baghdad).

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

So, you pack up and leave and wonder why, in 20-30 years time there is an oil-rich nation that wants to kick your ass for what you did to their country. Not that this is like your previous meddling in Iran at al ... -Simon

I am never suprised when sombody takes a current positive and projects it into a future negative.

Question for the UK-Euro-and Euro wanna-be crowd... Has the USA ever done anything that suits ya'all?

Hill

• DJK
    DJK

I think it's great that many troops will be coming home and I hope they all do soon.

I am never suprised when sombody takes a current positive and projects it into a future negative.

Then you won't be surprised by my negative. The way I see it is George Bush applying acne medication to his already blemished presidential history before he leaves office. The history books can glamorize him as much as they want, we who lived during his time in office know things that may never be printed.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    The way I see it is George Bush applying acne medication to his already blemished presidential history before he leaves office.

The drawdown was programmed from the very beginning of the surge, military circumstances permitting. It was called a "surge" to begin with to acknowledge it's temporary nature.

So no, this is not a last minute decision to make himself "look good" with "acne medication".

The troops are going home because the situation on the ground has improved, and the Iraqi security forces themselves have become more able to shoulder the security load.

BTS

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I dont like George Bush 2 anymore than most of you do. Every now and then even a blind pig finds an acorn.

He did not have much of a plan... and whatever plan he has in place today...the next administration will have to go with it or modify it.

30K drawdown sounds like a deal to me... but I wont pass judgment on the future..

You folks do know that whoever inherets this mess will have to conduct a paced drawdown. You cannot evacute the people and assets we have in theater in a week or two. There will be a rear guard to cover the exit in place.

I'd rather see a "bad" plan working in this case... instead of the "last man out" deal we did in VN.

Hill

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Those poor guys who are left behind under-staffed.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Those poor guys who are left behind under-staffed.

The security situation has improved considerably over there, I am not sure that is the case. It wasdefinitely the case in 2003-2007. BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit