Will they turn on religions soon?

by Seeker 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker
    Seeker

I was talking with a JW a few days ago, and he said that current events (natch) convinced him more than ever that soon the nations will turn on religion, and the Great Tribulation will begin. He said that the current hatred felt toward Islamic extremists, plus columnists pointing out Christian extremists (i.e. abortion clinic bombers) are also dangerous, mean that soon the tide will turn and all religion will be viewed as bad.

I responded that although extremists are hated, I've been amazed at how carefully the governments have differentiated between extremists and Muslims in general. That rather than turn against religion, they seem to be acknoweldging its value more so.

Now, I realize there are folks like our own Rex who want to criticize Islam in general. Is this a mainstream attitude? What have all of you heard about attitudes toward religion overall? Is my JW friend doing the usual 'sky is falling' routine, or are attitudes toward religion in general changing? What have you noticed in your neck of the woods?

Please note, I do not want to start a topic about whether or not JWs are correct in their beliefs, or whether the Great Tribulation is soon to come. Not interested in those arguments. I only want to know what you have noticed about people's attitude toward religion in general.

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

I think I've seen a turn against the need for it!!! Seems like everyone I talk to see's no need to go to church to have a realtionship with God. So I don't know who's still filling up the churches or watching those clowns on TV.

Wouldn't it be a SHOCKER to the JW's though if they were among the FIRST to be turned on hmmmmmm......

Ven

"Injustice will continue until those who are not affected by it are as outraged as those who are."

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Seeker,

We have a pretty good-sized population of Muslim students at the Uni I attend; the school has hosted events where the different religions represented by the students set up booths and pass out brochures, engage in convos re their different religious beliefs, etc. The majority of the Muslim students interviewed by the school paper said that they felt pretty secure and accepted on campus. Interestingly, they said that they felt more insecure OFF campus, shopping in Tampa, driving etc, than when ON campus. Also, they stated that most students who questioned them about their beliefs seemed interested in learning as opposed to arguing. I know this isn't really representative of the community as a whole, but I personally haven't seen any evidence of religious intolerance. Most of the folks that I talk to about it seem easily able to differentiate between fanaticism and religious devotion.

My .02

Dana

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end...
    Closing Time, Semisonic

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

In the immediate aftermath of the tragedy, the exact opposite was seen.
    Churches were full, the President sang God Bless America, and he even
    recommended that people go to church and pray. It seems that in times
    of trouble, people turn to religion for comfort and answers.

As the immediate scare dies down, there will be some backlash against
    religion for its role in the tragedy. However, I don't see this as anything
    more than an on-going, slow deterioration of the influence of religion. And good
    riddance.

The Witnesses will make hay for a while, but when it all dies down, it will just be
    one more disappointment. As Proverbs says "Expectation postponed is making
    the heart sick."

• roybatty
    roybatty

I agree with your observations. Extremists (as well as cults) are being condemned but religion as a whole is being held in high regard. I’m not sure if this is true in Europe but here in the States it is, especially after the September 11th attack. Even before that, the majority of my friends and co-workers either attend church regularly or wish stated that they need to. I think what has pasted is the “my-religion-is-better-then-your-religion” attitude. And many religious leaders know this. People today want tolerance and religions are serving this need. Personally I think it’s because of the large influx of non-Christian people here in the States. Added to this is people leaving “traditional” Christian churches and going to non-denominational ones. Anyway, all of this has led to the governments to cater to this block of voters. Heck, look at what President Bush is promoting. He wants churches who have non-profit programs that help the public to receive government funds. There was some grumbling about it but just the fact that he publicly supported this idea shows you how today’s federal government views religion.

One side note. A few years ago the local JW congregation built a new Hall next to an existing church. The church was a small one and the KH looked somewhat impressive next to it. Of course there was all kinds of fan-fare about the “quick build” blah..blah..blah. Anyway, over the last two or three years the KH has seen a steady decline while this little ol’ non-denominational church has seen an explosion in attendance. And just this year the church built an addition but it might as well have been a whole new church because it is at least four time larger then what they had before. Just cracks me up when I recall all the talks on how this new KH is an indication of Jehovah’s blessing. I wonder what the rank and file think each time they pull into the KH parking lot and see this enormous church next door. Oh, and top it off, they also used volunteers to built their church. LOL.

Yup, the WT loves to point out the decline of “false religion.” It must make them so mad when they see these other churches and religions doing much better then themselves.

• joelbear
    joelbear

I agree with Running,

Religion of all kinds seems to be experiencing a new stronghold on people.

Joel

• Martini
    Martini

Hi Seeker,

Now a days when I speak about the beliefs of JW's I don't sugar coat, nor do I beat around the proverbial bush. I tell it straight.I say JW believe for example that all religions except theirs is False, from the Devil, and will all be destroyed soon at the hands of governments but that God will protect the JW's ALONE. Amazingly the people I say this to, shrug their heads in disbelief BUT are nonetheless very tolerant of the humans holding these extremist views.If JW'S haven't succeeded in turning the world agaist religion, who will? What this tells me is that there is an enormous religious tolerance in the present 'old system of things'. Perhaps in the distant future,in my opinion under a 'new world order',religion will through a <quiet> revolution or evolution become extinct.

Also my .02
    Martini

• celebrate
    celebrate

Just to add to this thread -- religions are getting stronger. This is the usual the sky is falling. The U.S. is fighting the Taliban, not Muslims.

There is also something about this whole end of the world fixation. The word Armageddon is only mentioned once in the Bible, and yet this religion has built its entire operation around it. In many other religions, Buddhist, and Hindu, there is no mention of the world ending, just life as a constant circle of learning and growth. Christianity set up a world using their calendar and their timetable, completly ignorning cultures and religions that have been around for centuries before them.

Like others on this page, I have moved away from organized religion in any form. Not because of governments, but because I am so tired of hearing how everyone else is wrong and not them. Too much rhetoric and not enough love.

celebrate

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

From what I have seen among local churches have been efforts to reach out to other groups. Not only have there been inter-faith services for Christian churches but forums held with Jews and Muslims. When a Christian congregation prays for the people of Afghanistan I think they offer support to their Islamic counterparts.

While quite a few people can't distinguish between muslim extremists and ordinary followers of Islam I believe on the whole that people are supportive of religious belief and more tolerant now.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• Mum
    Mum

Most of the people I work with and associate with are deeply concerned with spirituality. Organized religion is seen by some as a problem. Even if they are not Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, or involved with a church, most do seem interested in spiritual and personal growth. Of course, I have great folks around me!

I do not believe the Taliban has had an adverse effect on most people's view of religion. People I talk to compare the Taliban to the KKK or other organizations which do evil under the cloak of "Christianity."

Regards,
    Mum

Seize the day, and put the least possible trust in tomorrow. - Horace

I have learned to live each day as it comes and not to borrow trouble by dreading tomorrow. - Dorothy Dix

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit