Calling all UK residents

by jstalin 12 Replies latest jw friends

• jstalin
    jstalin
    Michigan getting so bad we need to move to GB, jstalin?

I'm considering moving to Europe. I was recently in London and was thinking about my options. I am working on my law degree and thinking about working internationally. The one thing that worries me most is taxation, so I wanted to get a feel for comparative standards of living.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Hi Sirona!

I based my guesstimate on average earnings of £457/week = £23764/annum. 3 x £23764 = £71292, which is well below average house prices. Having said that, if you borrow as a couple both earning an average wage you could borrow over £140000. I am sure that there are still people borrowing up to their limit as interest rates are set to rise.

Current Northwest average figure for a semi-detached house is £160443, for a terraced house £111153. I can't believe I sold a terraced house for £35000 in 2001!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_depth/uk_house_prices/regions/html/regions.stm?t

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

How do you measure standard of living? I live within a couple of hours drive of the most beautiful areas of England and Wales, within 30 minutes drive of two major airports, two cities crammed with museums and galleries, and major shopping centres. Amazingly there is still some manufacturing industry. House prices are less than half than in Greater London, and general living costs are less too.

According to Londoners, this is the arse end of nowhere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit