Functionally Insane:The JW Altered Reality

by BreakingAway 11 Replies latest jw friends

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway

I appreciate everyones comments on this.A big reason why I wanted to post on this subject, in addition to what was already mentioned, is that during my years as a JW I would hear about studies that indicated Witnesses had a higher percentage of those with mental illness than other religions.Initially, meaning for quite a few years, I kind of shrugged it off and viewed as an attempt by those who just wanted to criticize or discredit JW's by trying to make them look "weird".Of course, I also figured that Satan also instigated this stuff ! Yep, forget about the possibility that someone out there may actually have done a well researched and valid study.....it must be Satan ! alt

Eventually though, I couldn't overlook the fact that there was a very high percentage of those in my congregation that had serious mental and emotional problems.Quite a few were on medication because of it and more were heading in that direction.At least one attempted suicide, some had suicidal thoughts,others were barely hanging on emotionally.Really, very sad.I do think the organization both attracts some with mental problems and in others it creates or exacerbates the problem.It looks like those studies have some validity after all....and when I realized that.....it became just another impetus to examine the org more critically.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Crazy isn't thoughts, although thoughts can be a symptom, crazy is behavior. I can have an irrational thought . . . a crazy thought . . . and as long as I don't act on that thought I'm considered sane. That's why mental illness facilities are called "behavioral health" facilities.

I can think the seven trumpets of Revelation were the seven Jehovah's Witness District assemblies from 1922 to 1928, starting with Cedar Point, Ohio and ending with Detroit, Michigan, and no harm done. But when I refuse modern medical treatment, quit college, and shun my family because I think the seven trumpets of Revelation were the seven Jehovah's Witness District assemblies from 1922 to 1928, starting with Cedar Point, Ohio and ending with Detroit, Michigan, I've turned bizarre thoughts into irrational behavior.

One definition of sanity is the ability to differentiate between reality and fantasy. Many Watch Tower Witnesses I know fail that test. That's why it's futile to try to have a rational discussion with them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit