JW Books at yardsale

by tfjw 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tfjw
    tfjw

A friend of my wife just called her and said she was now ready to part with her deceased husband's personal property and was going to be having a big yard sale sometime this summer. Her husband, not her, was a third gen. JW elder and she's setting aside his theocratic library for my wife and I to take a look at before she sells anything in the yard sale. I told her that whatever she did don't put them in the yard sale because some unsuspecting mind could become disturbed if read unsupervised.

Anyway, she gave me some of the titles and I have questions about these from others who may be familiar with them. I left the org around 1984 so I either never had these or lost them in a house fire a while back.

"Draw Close to Jehovah" - what is this? Is it standard kool-aid for home "Bible" studies?

Revelation - Its Grand Climax at Hand!. This is the 1988 edition. Is that the first one or the revised version? I had one years ago from a friend but don't remember if the '88 one is older.

Do you think any of the Yearbooks after between 1986 to present are worth buying? (about $1 each)

30 Years a Watch Tower Slave - he apparently was reading apostate literature

Does the name "John Ritchie" ring a bell? For some reason that sounds familiar to me.

There are a ton of other titles - I'll post others tomorrow. Apparently this man had several hundreds of books that go back to C.T. Russell's time. The way gas prices are now I'm getting a bit stingier with my money. :) I'd rather only purchase things that would benefit research in JW history, doctrine, and all that if I know it would help others in the long run.

Thanks for any help any can give.

• dwtnphotog
    dwtnphotog

Well, I have to tell you, I sold my WT library on ebay. I made a ton of money!! The older stuff goes best....

Just a thought

• RR
    RR

John Ritchie rings a bell! As to the books you mentioned, they can be used a a doorstop, even out a table leg, line a birdcage, etc.

RR

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Pick that crap up and have it recycled

By selling it you are "advancing kingdom interests" - you might as well send a "service report" to da Watchtower. shame on you.

• tfjw
    tfjw

dwtnphotog, I'm glad you were able to sell your library. I've heard of some very nice success stories in doing that. I'm interested in using what I have and what I can procure (at reasonable rates) to help out others to see things they may not have been exposed to - especially in those older pubs.

RR, Well, if I had a bird that might come in handy. I do have a door on my back porch that won't stay open by itself though. :) Searching the name "John Ritchie" brings up too many results to pinpoint anything for me. I'll call the lady tomorrow and find out the title(s) by this Ritchie fellow.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Apostates selling to dubs on Ebay.... now that's a conundrum for an active witness!

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Check the prices online. Some books from Russell's and Rutherboozes time are going for $100+ each ie; Daily heavenly Manna, Photodrama, comfort for the Jews among several others, and there are a select few that are going for thousands, ie; Three Worlds with Nelson Barbour and Russell. Even some of the earliest Watchtowers can go for hundreds each, as can special ones such as the one that carries Russell's Obit. Unusual items such as convention pictures and advertisement banners, etc. many times are worth a lot. Even a complete set of Winged Globe edition Studies in the Scriptures average $250-300 for the set, and the earlier Millenial Dawns go for more. The first bound volumes of the watchtower-I think there are a set of 6 or 7, get over $1,200 for the set, and single volumes get over $200. Also look for pocket editions of Studies, as there aren't as many around, and they can command a premium. Look on Ebay and other places online such as free minds, and you can get an idea. Don't pass them up, it can be your chance to make oodles of money.

• loosie
  • watson
    watson

Most everything after '86 makes great mulch.

• calico
    calico

Sell it back to witnesses and make money off them!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit