When did the Watchtower start baptising converts?

by Philippus79 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Philippus79
    Philippus79

I think to remember the Russell initially accepted water baptisms of other Christian denominations. But does anyone know when (and maybe who) they started their own water baptism rite? Couldn't find much in the 'Proclaimers' book.

Thx,

Phil

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

This is actually a good question!

• RR
    RR

Russell, his Father and sister were baptized in 1879, once they understood the proper view of baptism.

As others came in, they too were baptized, but NOT into ANY porganization, but into the Body of Christ. There were some however, who did not get rebapttized. One of these was Fred Franz, who admits to this in his Bio in the Awake magazine of the 90s

RR

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

You mean to tell me that Fred Franz was never baptized as a JW, but only in Christendom? That is something even I didn't know.

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

> who admits to this in his Bio in the Awake magazine of the 90s <

does anyone have a copy of that issue?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Fred Franz wasn't baptized as a witless? You mean I wasted my time getting baptized?

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I don't know, perhaps I am reading RR's comment wrong.

• BFD
    BFD

As others came in, they too were baptized, but NOT into ANY porganization, but into the Body of Christ. There were some however, who did not get rebapttized. One of these was Fred Franz, who admits to this in his Bio in the Awake magazine of the 90s

Now, that takes the cake!

BFD

• blondie
    blondie

I can't find any reference to Fred Franz not being baptized as a Bible Student. I did find these comments. Perhaps you could post the info from the Awake from the 1990's. Searching the WT-CD yielded nada.

*** w93 3/15 Rewarded With "the Crown of Life" ***Brother Franz was born on September 12, 1893, in Covington, Kentucky. He came in touch with the truth through an older brother. At that time he was attending the University of Cincinnati, preparing to become a Presbyterian minister. Instead, he separated from the Presbyterian Church and became associated with the Bible Students, as Jehovah’s Witnesses were then called. He was baptized on November 30, 1913, and the following year he left the university and entered the colporteur (pioneer) work.

*** w91 12/15 p. 11 par. 13 Rejoice in the Kingdom Hope! ***This can be summed up in the words of F. W. Franz, president of the Watch Tower Society, who was baptized in 1913:

*** jv chap. 33 p. 716 Continuing to Keep on the Watch ***F. W. Franz, who was baptized in 1913, well expressed the feelings of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

From reading that first article from 1993 it seems to allude that Fred Franz was baptized into the bible student movement, at least that is how I take it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit