Do ASL dubs recruit more aggressively than other dubs?

by truthseeker 10 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

ASL = American Sign Language for those who don't know.

I read a recent post on dubs knocking at doors and asking if anyone knew ASL.

Here's my experience.

I attended a JW sponsored ASL course about 4 years ago in a neighboring congregation. There were about 15 students in total.

The lesson was not to exceede 3 hours and afterwards we would go straight out into service.

The lessons were fun and we were given homework assignments to learn the various signs etc. Some were made up such as "elder" and "ministerial servant"

One particular sister who was in my car group was very aggressive in her recruiting tactics. She would take a note of the "Deaf Child" signs and literally start asking the householders on the street where the "deaf child" lived.

I was horrified at this approach - she was quite willing to force her literature onto deaf minors.

Another recruitment tactic was to phone various numbers (can't remember the criteria) and see if the caller knew anyone who was deaf.

Because the "message" had to be simple, I got the impression that some members of the deaf community thought the dubs were interested in them as people not because they were trying to recruit.

A lot of work and effort goes into making the Bible available to those who are hard of hearing but the dub message is always the same.

If you attended an ASL class for dubs what were your experiences?

• buckster
    buckster

I do not have something to share on this topic other than it never ceases to amaze me the thoughtless actions these people carry out. I reflect on certain things growing up with this and just shake my head at myself.

• buckster
    buckster

I do not have something to share on this topic other than it never ceases to amaze me the thoughtless actions these people carry out. I reflect on certain things growing up with this and just shake my head at myself.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

She would take a note of the "Deaf Child" signs and literally start asking the householders on the street where the "deaf child" lived.

If a stranger was questioning me about any child in my neighborhood, I would call the police and report them.

• zanex
    zanex

without giving away too much a lot of the ASL push is being driven from a financial perspective...the better their OWN interpreters are the more they are worth in the WORLD making money...and with the astronomical prices that people are willing to pay for interpreters it is an un-noticed cash cow that will continue to keep the society running...on the backs of whoever they have to use...anyhow...

-Z-

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Zanex,

Could you be more specific? I know one JW who works as an ASL interpreter and earns good money.

• zanex
    zanex

truthseeker...u have a PM...

• PEC
    PEC

zanex, glad you finally showed up to the party.

Philip

• White Dove
    White Dove
    We used to go d2d asking if the hh knew anyone who was deaf that lived in the area. We would canvas for deaf but not preach to the hearies. Our cong. was ASL only.
  • zanex
    zanex

thanx..bit late i know...just these ASL threads are hard to avoid...plus i have been keepin kind of a low profile...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit