1914 a time of the end?

by Matt_fs 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Matt_fs
    Matt_fs

Hey folks,

I have tried to tell a witness about 1914 and how it was predicted the end of the world, but they come back and tell me that some scripture in matthew i believe, shows how the devil was thrown out of heaven at that time and he came down and started world war 1. So they say even though the end didnt happen, something major happened in the world where everyone went to war. I just dont know how to come back to this. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Matt

• yknot
    yknot

Study in the Scriptures Vol 2, page 101 says "that the "battle of the great day of God Almighty" (Rev 16:14) which will end in A.D. 1915 with the complete overthrow the earth's present rulership, is already commenced

Download link: http://www.archive.org/details/studiesinthescri00unknuoft

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

I am currently reading the book, "The Sign of the Last Days When?" by Carl Olof Jonsson & Wolfgang Herbst.

It completely debunks the Society's claims concerning Famine, Earthquakes, Pestilences, etc.

They provide documentation showing the information quoted by the Society in their publications is not what the people really said. Even have copies of letters from some of the people.

The book was written in 1987 and contains documentation up to that time. It is one that I've seen mentioned on JWD before but after reading half of it so far, I believe it needs to be on our list of books we suggest to Newbies.

I like the quotation they give at the beginning of the Preface: "What terrible wars, both foreign and domestic! what pestilences, famines . . . and quakings of the earth has history recorded!" - Tertullian, in Ad Nationes, writing in the year 197 A.D.

It begins by discussing 1914 in Chapter 1 - Our 20th Century - Time of the End?

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

Back when the Jehovah witnesses were known as "Bible students" they predicted the end of the world in 1914. It didn't happen so they were wrong and they haven't told the truth since then.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

They have avoided your argument by deflection. The Watchtower specifically stated that the end would come, Armageddon would end, Jesus would start ruling the earth, all religion and government would be gone. Nothing they predicted came true. Now the Watchtower lies about what they said. See http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/1914dates.htm for specific quotes.

Also, Jesus did not start ruling and throw Satan out - who then started WWI. World War One started in August and the Watchtower claims Jesus started ruling in October, after which Satan was thrown out.

• james_woods
    james_woods

And let us not forget that for decades they taught openly that "the generation alive and old enough to be aware of the events of 1914" would not pass away before the final end of the system of things.

They have dropped this interpretation recently, out of neccessity, as harldly any Witnesses remain who were adults, or even young children, in 1914. It must be acutely shameful for witnesses to explain this turnabout - it was put in print in a much more forceful way than the 1975 end of the world, 6000 years of mankind, doctrine.

It is ironic - they used to kind of claim a "true fulfillment" of 1914 because of World War One, but they even managed to mess that up in an embarrasing way with the "generation" waffling.

I sometimes wonder if the whole 1914 idea will not be shelved soon - maybe before the 100 year anniversary in 2014. After all, 1874 used to be a big deal in the Russell days, and now you never hear of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit