John 1:1 and Watchtower Society

by UnDisfellowshipped 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

What does the Watchtower Society actually teach about John 1:1?

We all know that the New World Translation reads this way: "and the Word was a god."

After each quote below, I will post my comments:

"Reasoning From the Scriptures," Pages 416-417:

"In his article "Qualitative Anarthrous Predicate Nouns: Mark 15:39 and John 1:1," Philip B. Harner said that such clauses as the one in John 1:1, "with an anarthrous predicate preceding the verb, are primarily qualitative in meaning. They indicate that the logos has the nature of theos." He suggests: "Perhaps the clause could be translated, ‘the Word had the same nature as God.’" (Journal of Biblical Literature, 1973, pp. 85, 87)"

My Comments:

What does it mean for the Logos to have the nature of God? What would it mean for the Logos to have the same nature as God? How do Jehovah's Witnesses explain that? What is the "nature of God"?

"The Watchtower" issue of June 1st, 1988, Page 17 says this about John 1:1:

"the second the·os´ is a singular predicate noun occurring before the verb and without the definite article ho in Greek. In this verse, such a sentence construction points to a characteristic or quality of the subject. It highlights the nature of the Word [...]"

My Comments:

A lot of Christian scholars and Trinitarians would probably agree with that statement.

"Insight on the Scriptures," Volume 2, Page 54, says the following about John 1:1:

"Philip B. Harner brought out that the grammatical construction in John 1:1 involves an anarthrous predicate, that is, a predicate noun without the definite article "the," preceding the verb, which construction is primarily qualitative in meaning and indicates that "the logos has the nature of theos." He further stated: "In John 1:1 I think that the qualitative force of the predicate is so prominent that the noun [the·os´] cannot be regarded as definite." (Journal of Biblical Literature, 1973, pp. 85, 87) Other translators, also recognizing that the Greek term has qualitative force and describes the nature of the Word, therefore render the phrase: "the Word was divine."—AT; Sd; compare Mo; see NW appendix, p. 1579."

My Comments:

What does it mean, according to Jehovah's Witnesses, for the Logos to exist with the same divine nature that God the Father, the Almighty, has?

"The Watchtower" issue of August 15th, 1984, Page 30 says this about John 1:1:

"So professor B. F. Westcott hastens to state that the phrase rendered "the Word was God" describes "the nature of the Word and does not identify His Person." Well and good. But this true meaning of the original Greekis certainly not the thought conveyed by most Bibles. Still, some scholars, less supportive of Trinitarian ideas, have translated it "the Word was a divine being" or "the Word was divine." In the Journal of Biblical Literature (Volume 92, 1973), Philip P. Harner writes: "Perhaps the clause could be translated, ‘the Word had the same nature as God.’" "

My Comments:

So, according to the Watchtower Society, "the true meaning" of John 1:1 is that it is referring to the nature of the Logos, and that it should be translated: "In the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God, and the Word had the same nature as God."

Isn't that quite a bit different in meaning from the way that John 1:1 is rendered in the New World Translation? When you read "The Word was a god" in the NWT, do you think that it means The Word shares the same exact Nature that God Almighty has? Or, rather, do you think of the Word as a separate, lesser, inferior created god?

Why would the New World Translation translate it as "a god" when their very own publications teach that it should actually be translated a different way? Why would the New World Translation choose to render John 1:1 in a way that actually promotes polytheism, the worship of more than one divine God?

"The Watchtower" issue of November 15th, 1975, Page 703 says this about John 1:1:

"Certain scholars have pointed out that anarthrous predicate nouns that precede the verb in Greek may have a qualitative significance. Thatis, they may describe the nature or status of the subject. Thus some translators render John 1:1: "The Logos was divine," (Moffatt); "the Word was divine," (Goodspeed); "the nature of the Word was the same as the nature of God," (Barclay); "the Word was with God and shared his nature," (The Translator’s New Testament)."

My Comments:

Here is a very serious question for Jehovah's Witnesses:

What does it mean for the Logos ("Word") to share the same exact Nature that God Almighty has? God, in His Nature, is Eternal, Immortal, and Almighty. How can He share in that same Nature and still not be Almighty, Eternal, or Immortal?

More of My Comments:

How exactly was the Logos divine in His nature? Why did the Apostle Paul say that "all of the fullness of the Divine Nature [Deity] dwells in [Christ]," and that we must not worship angels? (Colossians 2:9; 2:18)

God is Almighty, Eternal, and Immortal because of His Nature, because of Who and What He is, His Essence. Therefore, if the Logos shares in all of the fullness of that same Essence, how can the Logos not share in God's Almightiness, Eternity, and Immortality? How could a finite creature ever share in an infinite, eternal nature, anyway?

Saying that the Logos is God in His Nature, or that He fully shares God's Nature, is most certainly different from saying that the Logos is only "a god," or "godlike," or that He "reflects God's qualities." So, which is it? Can any Jehovah's Witness answer that question?

Do any Greek scholars support the rendering "The Word was a god."

"Should You Believe in the Trinity?" Brochure, Page 28:

Thus, not Colwell’s questionable rule of grammar, but context should guide the translator in such cases. And it is apparent from the many translations that insert the indefinite article “a” at John 1:1 and in other places that many scholars disagree with such an artificial rule, and so does God’s Word.

So, the Watchtower Society teaches that God's Word disagrees with Colwell's "questionable" and "artificial" rule of grammar! I'm not an expert of Colwell's Rule, but I find those statements highly interesting.

When translating, should you go with the immediate context, or the context of the entire Bible? Should not each writer's book be translated based on its own context -- otherwise, how do we really know what each one was saying? If you go with the context of the entire Bible, where do you begin? How do you know what the "entire Bible" teaches before you translate each book of the Bible according to its own context? Shouldn't each book of the Bible be translated, and then you determine what the "entire Bible" teaches?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is the exact same verse, from the King James Version:

1: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

It is transparent that the New World Translation altered this text.

• justhuman
    justhuman

The Greek text it says very clearly:" En arxi in o Logos kai o Logos in para to Theo, kai Theos esti o logos" In the begining was the Word and the Word was with God, and God was the Word

No Greek scolar, and most of all none of the Early Greek Apostolic Church Fathers, like Saint Athanasius who finalize the Biblical Canon and dealed with the Arian heretic view of Trinity agrees with the WT. The only one that does agree with them is those who support the Arian heresy.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

I think both 'the Word was God' and 'the Word was a god' are incorrect. The writer of the Gospel of John doesn't intend to identify the Word, but rather to reveal its nature. Btw, the rendering 'the Word was God' could give the wrong impression that they are equal as to their identity, which amounts to Sabellianism.

Philip P. Harner writes: "Perhaps the clause could be translated, ‘the Word had the same nature as God . ’" "

I'd prefer this rendering, too. This is what Kittel's Theological Dictionary has to say on this issue:

A similar ascription is more common in the Johannine writings, and for the most part incontestable. Jn. 1:1 says of the Pre-existent: kai theos en ho logos...The lack of the article, which is grammatically necessary in 1:1, is striking here, and reminds us of Philonic usage. The Logos who became flesh and revealed the invisible God was a divine being, God by nature. The man born blind has some sense of this when, after his healing, he falls down in believing adoration before Christ, who addresses him with the divine "I" (Jn. 9:38f). The final veil is removed, however, when the Risen Lord discloses Himself to Thomas and the astonished disciple exclaims: ho kurios mou kai ho theos mou (Jn. 20:28). In Jn. 1:1 we have Christology: He is God in Himself. Here we have the revelation of Christ: He is God for believers.

Besides, I particularly like your closing thoughts:

When translating, should you go with the immediate context, or the context of the entire Bible? Should not each writer's book be translated based on its own context -- otherwise, how do we really know what each one was saying? If you go with the context of the entire Bible, where do you begin? How do you know what the "entire Bible" teaches before you translate each book of the Bible according to its own context? Shouldn't each book of the Bible be translated, and then you determine what the "entire Bible" teaches?

I think this is indeed the main problem about interpretations, it's called the hermeneutic circle. It means that understanding a text is dependent on understanding its individual parts and understanding the individual part on understanding the whole. It's impossible to escape this circular reasoning, hence no objective interpretation can be reached without carefully reconstructing the context and process of its coming into existence. Taking into account the context of John 1, a rendering 'a god' is impossible methinks.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Even the JWs greek bible reads that the word was god, I no longer have a copy and have been asking my cousin to get one for me - just to add to the collection. But of course they have their own reasoning.

• whitman
    whitman

I would agree that here the Logos is equated with Theos. Translation is a difficult issue, and I would suggest each book needs to be considered singly for context rather than examining the entire N.T for possible context. I would also agree with Hamilcarr that one method of translating is by being aware of the hermeneutical circle, however this raises it's own problems. One aspect of the hermeneutical approach I do support is that the translator/s must disclose their biases at the outset of any translation. Somehow I don't see that the borg will disclose their biases, and certainly won't be alerting anyone to the biases of William Barclay, whose 'scholarship' on John 1:1 is used in 'Reasoning from the Scriptures' page 416.

I think perhaps the really interesting questions concerning John 1:1 would be less focused on the form of theos, and more on the question of what the Logos is here.

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

Too much focus on John 1:1. The context and INTENT of use is clear. Splitting hairs is a waste of space. All knees will bow to the only begotten SON of GOD anyway. There is a difference: You have GOD and then you have his first-DIRECT- creation, which is his ONLY BEGOTTEN SON. ---ALL power and authority was given to him over mankind. ---- No sense in explaining the obvious..

Have a nice day!

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

So who do we follow now, Jesus or Jehovah?

My wife gave me a good illistration on this one: (It was easy to understand because I am in this position)

"If a Father who owns a business put's his son in charge of his business, how would he feel if no one working for him or the customers of the business went to his son for answers but continued to go to him?"

I would think he would be pretty pissed off because his son is not getting the respect he deserves.

LD

• Terry
    Terry

Since the Jehovah's Witnesses deny that Jesus is God in the flesh they must change John 1:1 NWT. The NWT renders John 1:1 as: "In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god." That is NOT what the Greek text actually says! It states "the word was God." Let's take a look at what authentic New Testament Greek scholars say about this verse.

Dr. Julius R. Mantey (who is even recognized by the Watchtower as a Greek scholar since they quote his book on page 1158 of their Kingdom Interlinear Translation): calls the Watchtower translation of John 1:1 "A grossly misleading translation. It is neither scholarly nor reasonable to translate John l:1 'the Word was a god. 'But of all the scholars in the world, so far as we know, none have translated this verse as Jehovah's Witnesses have done." "I was disturbed because they (the Watchtower) had misquoted me in support of their translation. I called their attention to the fact that the whole body of the New Testament was against their view. Throughout the New Testament, Jesus is glorified and magnified--yet here they were denigrating Him and making Him into a little god of pagan concept . . .1 believe it's a terrible thing for a person to be deceived and go into eternity lost, forever lost because somebody deliberately misled him by distorting the Scripture!. . . Ninety-nine percent of the scholars of the world who know Greek and who have helped translate the Bible are in disagreement with the Jehovah's Witnesses. People who are looking for the truth ought to know what the majority of the scholars really believe. They should not allow themselves to be misled by the Jehovah's Witnesses and end up in hell." (Ron Rhodes "Reasoning from the Scriptures with the Jehovah's Witnesses" p.103-105)

In order to present the appearance of scholarly backing for their translation of this verse, the Society had to intentionally misquote Dr. Julius R. Mantey and H.E. Dana's Manual Grammar of the Greek New Testament. Both Dana and Mantey firmly held to the historic Christian belief in the Triune God as is evident throughout their Grammar. The late Dr. Mantey had on several occasions issued statements concerning the misquotation of his statements by the Witnesses, even writing a letter to the Watchtower headquarters in Brooklyn demanding references and quotes from his book to be removed from their publications. They ignored his request!

They have also misquoted Philip B. Harner: Not only does Harner's article in the Journal of Biblical Literature not support the Watchtower's rendering of John 1:1, he emphatically argues against it! "Because of the word order used by John, the verse can only be interpreted to mean that the Word (Jesus) was God in the same sense as the Father."( Ron Rhodes Reasoning from the Scriptures with the Jehovah's Witnesses p.103-105)

• bob1999
    bob1999

From the NWT:

"All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existence."

If Christ is just "a god" and a created one at that, how could He have created all things?

BTW, there is no "other" in Colossians 1:16. Also, there is no "other" in Philippians 2:9

Peace

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit