I have to brag about my kid.

by JeffT 8 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT

So we got fed up with all of our educational opportunities for him. The public school couldn't do its job, and we fought all last year with the administration of the private school because their dress code was stupid. (I came very close to telling the vice principal that one solution to the problem would be for her to take the stick out of her ass).

So this fall we sent him to GED classes. He passed the final part of the test last week and will start community college in January.

He just turned sixteen in August.

• TR
    TR

Cool Jeff!

My daughter will graduate this spring fom high school with an AA that she'll earn from going to community college for the last 2 years.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing.

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

• mommy
    mommy

Sweeet Jeff,
    That is great he was able to pass the GED. I think it is great he is going on to further his education as well. I have been put off many times by the teachers and even principals. It is tough going to bat over issues you feel strongly about and they don't budge.

Good luck to him What will be his course of study?

TR
    Congrats to your daughter as well! Sounds like one dedicated lady!
    wendy

Blind faith can justify anything.~Richard Dawkins

• Celia
    Celia

Tell us more about the dress code in that private school ?
    Was it a religious school ?
    We took our kid out of public school two years ago and put him in a......... Catholic School !
    He's getting a wonderful education there. In the public school he was in, nobody cared, mistakes were not corrected, practically no homework, close enough was good enough, horrible math program...
    Dress code : Dark blue, grey or black pants, white or light blue shirts or polo-shirts, no ties... easy dress code. No problem.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Jeff -- Is this the same kid who is now graduating with the doctorate?

Doc

• flipper
    flipper

JEFF- Congratulations on your son starting community college ! My son started out in community college for a couple years , then went on to a university . I feel a community college is a great start for high school grads to get their feet wet with education as a prep before going to a university. I'm very happy for him and you. Take care

• rebel8
    rebel8

*applause*

• JeffT
    JeffT

This is the one that just got his Bacheclors yesterday. None of my kids has a doctorate - yet. About to be daughter in law is starting PhD studies in August and my daughter will get her MA in a year. We expect the oldest to go back to school this fall. I think if they could figure out how they'd all just go to school forever.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

JeffT, Congratulations on both your children and dil. My only granddaughter just graduated from hs and will start college in Aug. She is going to start at a private Nazarene college bcause my daughter did not want her in a co-ed dorm but wanted her to live at the dorms as a controlled entrance into adulthood and the world. I just hate to see how jws keep their children from advancing in life. I was in my forties before I started at the University. It's a good thing I did or I would be in trouble now. It's hard to make it in this life without education. Both of my children got University degrees albeit in their forties.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit