Brilliant book on Brainwashing

by jwfacts 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I recently finished the book Brainwashing - The Science of Thought Control by Kathleen Taylor (Oxford University Press Inc., New York, 2004). This presents an excellent summary of current research into the biology and psychology of the brain and identifies how organizations use this for the purposes of control. It discusses well known research such as by Lifton and Festinger, but also goes into a lot of scientific research into the biology of the brain. Some interesting discussion is made as to whether marketing is considered brainwashing, and identifies that though the techniques are the same, people are aware of the motives behind marketing, they are not when it comes to cults. Also, marketing presents a few specific beliefs, whereas cult leaders intend to impose an entire ideological system.

The mind is described very much like a river. As water flows down a river it erodes; the more water that flows down the river, the deeper it becomes. Likewise, the more a thought is repeated the stronger, the brains synapses supporting that thought become. Furthermore, just as a river gets larger the more tributaries feed it, a belief will become stronger and harder to give up the more other beliefs connect to it. For these reasons the key to brainwashing is repetition.

The reason a Witness has such strongly entrenched beliefs is directly related to:

• the regularity and repetitive nature of the Watchtower schedule
    • the broad nature of this information, infiltrating all areas of a Witness belief, regarding topics are diverse as cosmology, morality, palaeontology, theology, the historic past, evaluation of current events and hope for the prophetic future.
    The "PASS" into paradise emphasises the need for repetition of Watchtower teachings.
    • Prayer - Regular prayer to Jehovah
    • Association - Regular meeting attendance
    • Service - Regular Preaching
    • Study - Regular study of Bible publications; that is, Watchtower publications

The Watchtower routine assists in understanding the conviction of a Jehovah's Witness.

• fifi40
    fifi40

When you think of the illustration of the river and water passing down it, it is worthwhile considering that this same process applies to all thoughts in our minds............this can benefit us if we can examine and master the thought process..............people with low self esteem can examine the thoughts that enable them to under value their worth and replace such negative thoughts with ones that will build self esteem and a sense of worth.

As for the watchtower organisation...........I have long chuckled at the way in which we all happily accepted the 'answer from the paragraph' approach they have to study...............they literally had us brainwashing ourselves. We tell you what to think and then we get you to repeat it parrot like to yourself. Amazing that we were all sucked in!!!! And thank God we woke up to it!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    this same process applies to all thoughts in our minds............this can benefit us if we can examine and master the thought process

Yes, the book made a huge difference to how I think, as I am now aware that the thoughts I have can have a long lasting effect, so they may as well be positive.

Another point about the river is that a river can erode gradually over years through a trickle, or rapidly, such as when a dam bursts. A JW child has that slow trickle effect. On the other hand, the equivalent to a dam bursting with the brain is where a huge amount of stimulation occurs at one time, such as in an emotional trauma. This is the reason we remember some things, but not others. For example, you may walk past a light post and see it for years without remembering if it was wood of metal. But if it feel on you and crushed you, you would be far more likely to remember what it was made of.

That is why cults and political brainwashers like to get a person into an emotional state in brainwashing sessions, such as in intensive weekend retreats (or conventions). Witnessing is most effective when a person is reached in an emotional state, such as after the death of a loved one. Talks are more effective when they stimulate you and take you through an emotional journey.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

It seems to me that once you realize that one or more "tributaries" is completely bunk, then the rest run dry pretty quickly.

Sounds like an interesting book.

• Balsam
    Balsam

I think I realize now how I was entrapped into the JW thinking after being introduced to it. My ex-husband and I were in our 1st year of marriage, having serious problems and ready to call it quits. Highly emotional and devastating time realizing the marriage was very very bad. Along come JW's and presto Chang, we both change for the better going to all meetings, in service, reading and studying all the literature. We were the perfect target couple and we fell right in line even with the blood policy without so much as t glimpse into why it was forbidden. Like mind blown zombies we marched right in with no thought to the contrary. I always wondered why we were so easily influenced by the JW's, not only that but I stayed in for 30 years. I remember about 6 months after studying and doing everything they told us how something felt out of kilter. Like just before my baptism I felt this was all too good to be true, too magical, and wondered if it possible this is all a scam? But I was at the same time feeling happy, peaceful and brushed the fears aside and took the dive into baptism as a JW. But at that moment I knew something didn't feel just right but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Trauma brought me and trauma made me leave. Wow I think I just understood it for the first time. Thanks for sharing the information.

Ruth

• megaflower
    megaflower

Thank you for sharing. Iam going to look for this book. Also, when you said intensive weekend retreat= WT convention my light bulb went off. I never liked going to the conventions and it always bothered me how most everyone in the cong would be so happy to be going. I was absolutely miserable, sitting all day and the talks were soooooooooooooooooooo boring.

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

That is fascinating and immensely useful information!

Thank you!

I'll be looking into this book.

RD

• S3RAPH1M
    S3RAPH1M

That makes sense.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

megaflower

I was absolutely miserable, sitting all day and the talks were soooooooooooooooooooo boring

This too is an emotional state. And I think one that few people would regard as having the power to induct you to the JW mindset. But as you are sitting there looking around to see who else is there or what is going on a couple of rows over, or even nodding off to sleep I suspect you are at an even higher risk for the mind controls to be active.

You sit there and clap when everyone else claps, you stand and sing when instructed to. You look up scriptures when given the time to. You have to at the very least pretend to be doing what you are told to do. And all through this your mind is taking it all in. The repetition molds you to a certain course of action. And if there is any internal discent, questioning, or doubts they are quickly squashed. As you look around and see so many others following along as sheep you determine that so many people could not be wrong. Therefore the problem is YOU.

And that means you have to do more. More study, more meetings, more efforts at paying attention.

It is very subtle but very powerful.

I think I will have to look this book up

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit