The copper serpent....drives me nuts!

by oompa 43 Replies latest watchtower bible

• oompa
    oompa

Graven images are so thoroughly criticized in the Bible....totally forbidden. Yet any idols made where powerless...just a piece of wood you can also cook on. Yet God sent out zillions of vipers (thanks dude) to bite everybody....and actually HAS a scary viper impage made an put on a pole....with some SERIOUS POWER attached. You get bitten.....and a mere gaze at the copper serpent will SAVE YOUR A$$!!!!

Talk about screwin up a LEAST your kids! Who would not be a snake image worshiper after that headgame?....wtf?.............oompa

• dinah
    dinah

Oompa,

Didn't they also use that story to tell us to look to the organization as if it were a copper serpent?

I remember a drama about that when I was a kid. I've always been afraid of snakes. Soo, there's another reason to be afraid to disobey Jehovah's the Org's rules.

• Priest73
    Priest73

Magic snakes. Talking snakes. "In the beginning" is just another way to say "Once upon a time."

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

Yeah! Also, wasn't the serpent made out to be the bad guy (that whole Satan thing), so why make the Isrealites gaze on it so they wouldn't die? That's like looking to the devil to be saved!

HAHAHAHA!

What pissed me off was the account of god sending 2 bears to rip children apart for making fun of Elisha's bald head.

Yeah. That's loving and fair. Kids (being kids) were having a spot of fun with some cranky "prophet" and Jehovah sent 2 bears to attack them and rip all the village kids to ribbons.

When I was a kid, we had some PO who would love to tell us that story.

Sometimes, I really hate these people.

• oompa
    oompa

Dead on Dinah....I remember that very well! And me too on the snakes! I had enough guy type curiosity....then got bitten twice by a snake....scared crap out of me! It was not even poisonous but have no use for them oh and I had my own real life movie title too........Snakes in the Attic..........yeeeesshh......oompa

• dinah
    dinah

Snakes, and bears and demons---oh my!

A snake got in my house once. My cousin came and caught him. I wouldn't go back in the house until he checked everywhere to make sure it didn't have any buddies in there. I jumped everytime anything moved for a week.

Anyway, back to the original question. If faith is what saves you, then why would god have you look at a snake statue?

And what's up with Uzzah being struck dead for trying to catch the ark? I guess he should have let it hit the ground and all the holiness fall out??

• oompa
    oompa

Poor Uzzah.....I know dang well he was dead either way...talk about wrong place wrong time! I he let sucker crash....they would have stoned him!!!........oompa

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Just yet another story about how God wants to save us from...

God.

Maybe Moses was getting mixed up with some Midianite folklore?

• dinah
    dinah

Why do the Israelites make me think of cavemen running around with clubs and rocks??

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

It is just proof that parts of the Bible were written by different people with very different religious practices. Idolatry was common among the patriarchs with their teraphim and Asherah poles.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit