I had a Jehovah's Witness at my door this morning

by Vincent 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• undercover
    undercover

I don't have JWs come to my door, as they all know me and pass us by when they work our street...

But I was visiting a friend one time and the dubs came knocking. I answered the door and was ready to rumble with them (not letting them know I was an inactive JW), but they were actually pleasant and seemed sincere so I immediately changed my mind. They're misguided just as we were when we were in. Why take it out on them? Plus, if you get in a raging debate you're only going to strengthen their resolve that they are doing the right thing.

I think it's better to be polite, let them get through their semon and then pick one subject that you can draw out of them and, without arguing or being uppity, point out the error of the doctrine or belief and allow them to try to defend it. By the time they leave, you will not have won anything right off...but, it may just plant a seed of question or doubt. It might make them look it up, if only to prove themselves right...but could shake up their faith in the teaching if they see the same evidences that we saw.

When the 2 dubs finished their presentation, I poliltely told them that I wasn't interested in joining their religion but that I had read their literature and mentioned that I had a problem with one of the main tenants of the religion. The brother asked what it was and I said that according to Witness teaching, Jerusalem was destroyed in 607BCE and that their belief that Jesus returned invisibly in 1914 was tied to that date. But unfortunately, there is no evidence that points to the date of 607, but actually 586/587. If the destruction date that the Witnesses project is incorrect, then their belief in Jesus return is incorrect. I didn't say it in an accusotory way or to incite an argument, but stated it as fact. The brother in the lead was a bit taken back, I think, because he probably couldn't explain 1914 anyway.

All I hoped to do was to plant that seed. Maybe he'll go back and research it. Maybe he'll look up some secular references on Jerusalem. Maybe, just maybe, it was the start to helping a person release the shackles of slavery to the Society.

Instead of treating them like the enemy, why not view them as slaves or prisoners that need releasing and we have the means to help them?

• fokyc
    fokyc
    If they don't obey the small things, they won't be jumping off no stinking cliff.

Well said Blondie, they are great liars too, something else they are not supposed to do!

fokyc

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

My mother used to say, "my mind's made up; don't confuse me with facts." She was joking, but it's sadly true. For instance, when confronted with a television show about a gorilla with a vocabulary, my mother said it wasn't true because Jehovah said so!

• Eliveleth
    Eliveleth
    I think it's better to be polite, let them get through their semon and then pick one subject that you can draw out of them and, without arguing or being uppity, point out the error of the doctrine or belief and allow them to try to defend it. By the time they leave, you will not have won anything right off...but, it may just plant a seed of question or doubt. It might make them look it up, if only to prove themselves right...but could shake up their faith in the teaching if they see the same evidences that we saw.

I agree with undercover. I think that the kind people in the door to door work had more effect on my leaving than the accusers

and mean ones ever. I just ask them a question and let them think. They will (maybe) go away thinking about that. I know that I

did many times. I wondered where they got that idea. Could be from the Bible? hee hee

Velta

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I usually politely tell them that I don't want anything to do with a cult that protects child molesters, and then I shut the door.

W

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I think that the more people that 'reject' their message (politely or otherwise) the more discouraged they will become (that's a good thing).

I know that on Saturday morning, I went to a small shop that sells tamalies. As I stood there waiting for someone to come from the back to wait on me, I noticed a couple of Watchtowers sitting on their counter. I reached across - quickly - and snatched them up - then carefully, ripped them in two - and then... plop - into the small trashcan that they had placed on the customer side of the counter.

When the person came out from the back, I was ready to place my order - and they were none the wiser.

I believe that the JWs worked this strip mall earlier that day... and probably also 'hit' the laundromat. I didn't take the time to go and cleanse the laundromat of the 'litter'-ature, though.

Regards,

Jim TX

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

My mom, a JW recently related to me an argument she had with a workmate about social security/medicaid benefits. The workmate was telling her something, my mom thought something else, and they were (really) fighting about it. In any case, my mom told her-I have some information that would give you the 'official' information about this (because the woman was going on information from one of those flaky-'get free govt money!' seminars). The woman said "I am happy with the information and you don't have anything to say to me that I WANT TO HEAR (my emphasis), so I won't even LOOK at your (real) information.

My mom thought the woman is wacked, foolish and being deliberately ignorant.

Even as she was describing the conversation to me, all I could think of was YOU ARE THIS WOMAN MOM!!! Only you are treating religion the way she is her finances. "Let me stick my head in the ground, and I won't be responsible for my ignorance." Arrrgggghhh. But you know what. I didn't have the balls to show her how she is exactly the same way about her religion as this other woman is about her health care/retirement issues.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit