Children-any went from JW to Atheist?

by lonelysheep 21 Replies latest social family

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Damn, the force is strong in this one!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Personally, I'd never even heard of this Shia Labeouf deity.

Proof that that there's a lil sumpin' for everyone on the spiritual spectrum.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Quote:

I bet I would set a JWD record....all six atheist.....I'm not quite there yet, but they are routing for me.

wings not sure if I should be happy or sad....just the honest truth.

Hey, if they're happy you're happy, right? Are they happy?

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

I've often thought the world will change for the better when instead of saying "welcome to the world let us teach you", we say "thank goodness you're here, maybe you can help us figure out what is going on ! "

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Wings-wow! What did you do to them?! LOL

Seriously, it lets me know that the non belief could stick, which would mean a very different childhood then I had. Freedom, I think. Freedom to make up their own minds.

• Super Nova
    Super Nova

Wow, I think I wouldn't think about it so much for her. She has a lot of years ahead of her to hear both sides to really decide what she believes. I would focus more on my beliefs and maybe share what I learn with her. Here is a nice debate on this topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT3NZTGCtrI&feature=PlayList&p=64014337D0FFEF14&index=0&playnext=1

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Smart girl.

It's great you want your kids to make up their own minds about this stuff.

I read "Parenting Beyond Belief" which wasn't much of an instruction book but more about making you feel ok about the idea of raising kids without religion. It was ok. I think it helped me feel more comfortable with it, knowing that I wasn't alone in this view. My wife (switch) hated the book. I don't really know why. I think she didn't like that it was a bit bluntly anti-religion in places (several authors contributed).

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Thanks, SN.

MissingLink-Thanks for the review from both you and the Mrs. I won't read it, then, since I'm perfectly ok with no religion for them. LOL

If or when they seek out a sense of belonging to society through ritual gatherings at a "church", I'll take them to the local UU.

• milligal
    milligal

I was raised JW and turned atheist. I teach my son who has a JW dad to question a blind faith in god. He seems to respond to it, because it's logical and he sees logic. We went to a child counsleor together and one of the best things she said is that spirituality can be your connection to anything bigger than yourself: humanity, charity, respect for the earth. Spirituality does not have to encompass a 'god'.

I think you're doing the right thing-raising your kids to think. That's what I try to do too...

• inkling
    inkling
    I think it's time for me to get one of the books on godless parenting.

"Parenting Beyond Belief: On Raising Ethical, Caring Kids Without Religion": Dale McGowan

Reading it myself at the moment. Very good.

[inkling]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit