What did you think in -95?

by Samuel Thorsen 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Samuel Thorsen
    Samuel Thorsen

When I first read about WTS having "new ligth" on the 1914-generation issue in the newspaper i was shocked. (Some evil apostates had been helpful and informed the paper weeks before I got my November issues of the WT.)

My thoughts was. 1) Why am I reading this in a worldly paper first? and 2) If they can get away with this, they can get away with anything.

This was perhaps the beginning of the end for me as a dub.

What did you tink when you first got to know the teaching of the 1914-generation was trashed?

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Hi ST. I conducted that watchtower study and was puzzled at the time. I just went through the study letting the elders and pioneers and bethelites do the explaining. The local friends did not comment too much on this study. Of course the Bethelites had already studied it on monday night at Bethel.

Later, us elders were telling the rank and file that this new light did not mean that armageddon was put off.

I realized then that something was very wrong and soon stepped down using family concerns as the reason.

Blueblades

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I thought "wow. This org really is nothing special"

Prior to that I though tthey may be right

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

The 1995 "new light" is what drove the final nail in the WBTS coffin for me. I knew that anything the organization published could not be the truth. I spent most of my teenage years fearing destruction by an impending armageddon. By some people's calculations, armageddon would happen no later than my high school graduation! Virtually everyone born in or before 1914 is dead now, so Millions Now Living Are All Dead! Ha Ha. I'm still alive. Screw you, Watchtower Bible & Tract Society, screw you right up your silly bungholes!

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

In 1995 - I was only 19 - more worried about making a living than to actually even notice a change in light.

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

Just like Blueblades, I was the Watchtower conductor at the time. I remember being floored by this change. It was a real epiphany for me.

This change though, seemed to go right over the heads of most of the witnesses that were there that Sunday. i even pointed out that this was a significant change to the understanding of "generation" in Matthew. Still nothing...

But it was the turning point for me. It wasn't long before I quit being an elder and subsequently faded from the org.

CyrusThePersian

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I was one of the "Kool-Aid drinking" class -- I was thrilled that the Slave was providing us with more insight into the scriptures. *barf*

Dave

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I felt ripped off....sort of walked around like a zombie for afew years.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I was out by then....I read the articles and then I asked my jw xhusband what he thought of the change. He said "What change...there's no change...you're just reading it wrong"

I went to a couple of khs...when they studied the articles...just to see what the reaction would be.... It was wierd... no reaction at all... I don't think most jws got it for a while....took a long time to sink in...

Coffee

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

Hey, LouBelle, I'm 2 days older than you! Hee Hee. When did you finally leave the org?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit