God's Sabbath Day - Saturday or Sunday?

by brofromzion 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Saturdays and Sundays are all the same to me. I sleep in, have a nice breakfast, play with my bird, and then do work around the house.

W

• dawg
    dawg

Then why don't you respect my feelings when I say that discussions about the Bible are foolish because the Bible isn't literal?

Tell you one thing I've seen on this forum, when someone makes a stupid statement, then everyone jumps their backside... I've had mine jumped as much as anyone... and you know what, I've learned to not care, that's just someone's opinion.

You made your choice when you replied, you didn't have to answer...this person started a thread I think is foolish, that's my opinion... I posted my thoughts... now, respect that or ignore it, but don't act like I don't have the right to say what I think about it!

I've seen the enemy, in my mind it's all religions and all those who bother to sit and argue things like what day the Sabbath is supposed to be based on a book of myths... You're wasting your time, cause guess what? This book isn't literal, and I'd give my left one if you guys would do like you did when you discovered the JWs aren't real... come to your senses.

• BurnTheShips
  • Mary
    Mary
    Then why don't you respect my feelings when I say that discussions about the Bible are foolish because the Bible isn't literal?

If you want to say that during one of the many "religion vs. evolution" discussions, knock yourself out. There are plenty of atheists on here who I highly respect, even though I might not share their beliefs. I think everyone is aware of your atheistic views dawg----it doesn't mean that you have to try and impose them when we're talking about something that you obviously don't believe in. Yes, we all have our own point of views and discussions can often get heated as we talk about controversial subjects, but you just never let it stop. The subject in hand wasn't "is the bible foolish?"---it was a subject about the Sabbath that would normally generate responses from those who either believe the bible, or at least have an interest in religious history. Whether or not the bible is true was not the issue, but you had to try and make it the issue.

You made your choice when you replied, you didn't have to answer...this person started a thread I think is foolish, that's my opinion... I posted my thoughts... now, respect that or ignore it, but don't act like I don't have the right to say what I think about it!

Yes you have "the right to say what you think"---we all do. But it get tiresome when you insist on bashing everyone who might believe in a God, no matter what the theme of the thread. That's what I'm saying. If you want to bash believers, that's your perogative, but maybe you should at least keep the bashing to the threads where it's actually applicable.

I've seen the enemy, in my mind it's all religions and all those who bother to sit and argue things like what day the Sabbath is supposed to be based on a book of myths... You're wasting your time, cause guess what? This book isn't literal

Thank you for your views. And do you plan on doing the same thing whenever a religious topic is discussed? What about the discussion we have on blood transfusions and the debates we have about how the Society changes scriptures to something that was never intended. Is that just a "waste of our time" because hey----the bible's not literal, so why should be be discussing anything that's in it? This is a site for people who have, guess what in common?? That's right, we have the commonality of a religion in our background. So obviously on this site, religion and the bible are going to be discussed.

• brofromzion
    brofromzion

BurnTheShips, thanks for a good response. By the way, I'm not a Seventh Day Adventist just to make it clear to everyone. I follow God according to His words, the Bible. Many people have used the verse Colossians 2:16 to prove that they do not have to observe any Feasts of God (Sabbath, Passover, Unleavened Bread, etc.). Let’s take a look at this verse to get an idea of why people would think that.

Colossians 2:16- “Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.”
    Now it is very easy to take this verse and say that we don’t have to keep any of God’s feasts if you don’t understand the context of this verse and also the second sentence of this verse.

At this time, Apostle Paul was speaking to Christians in Colosse. Colosse is located in present day Turkey and at the time, the Christians there were being persecuted because the popular beliefs at this time were influencing Christ’s teachings. Eastern mysticism and asceticism (belief that abstinence from certain physical activities such as eating or drinking will allow some sort of mind-body transformation) were the main philosophies that were intruding on Christ’s teachings.

Apostle Paul was not telling the Church of God in Colosse to stop keeping God’s feasts, he was telling the church not to let other people judge them because they keep God’s feasts.
    Let’s confirm through the Bible. We have to see if Paul was really instructing the people not to keep God’s feasts.

Acts 17:2- “As his custom was, Paul went into the synagogue, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures,”

Paul’s custom was to keep the Sabbath, he was in Thessalonica at this time for only three weeks so he was at this synagogue for only three weeks. Let’s see another verse for confirmation.
    Acts 18:4- “Every Sabbath he reasoned in the synagogue, trying to persuade Jews and Greeks.”
    Clearly keeping the Sabbath was a custom of Apostle Paul. However, was it just Apostle Paul’s custom?

Luke 4:16- “He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. And he stood up to read. The scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him.”

Jesus Christ’s very own custom was to keep the Sabbath. Christ came to show us the example of how to worship God (John 13:15). Then we should in fact keep the Sabbath day because it God’s true day of worship.

Jesus kept the Sabbath 2,000 years ago, our Heavenly Father Christ Ahnsahnghong also kept the Sabbath, and now our Heavenly Mother continues to keep the Sabbath as an example for us.

Colossians 2:16 says that these feasts are a shadow of the things to come and that the reality is found in Christ. Jesus Christ kept the Sabbath and our Heavenly Father Christ Ahnsahnghong also kept the Sabbath. Then we must follow Christ who is the reality.

One of the most important commandments in the bible is the Sabbath Day. The Sabbath day is the 7th day according to the bible.

Genesis 2:1-By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. And God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.

God only blessed the 7th day and not any other day. This is the day God promised to bless us, make us holy and give us spiritual rest. We cannot try to make ourselves holy with our own power. Only God can bless us and make us holy. Then what day should we go to God to receive all these promises? It says very clear- 7th day. It is a command of God!!

Exodus 20:8-8 "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

God said to remember the Sabbath day which is the 7th day of the week. Then what is the seventh day? If you look in the calendar and dictionary, the first day is Sunday and the seventh day is Saturday. Even through the Bible we can see that Saturday has always been the seventh day.

Mark 16:9-9When Jesus rose early on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had driven seven demons.

Jesus resurrected on the 1st day of the week. Then, when do all Christians celebrate the resurrection of Christ? It is on Sunday isn’t it? It is because Jesus resurrected on Sunday, the first day of the week. Very clearly we can see that Sunday is not the seventh day.

We should not worship on Sunday when God does not promise any blessings. If we do, we will be worshipping in vain!

Mark 7:6 He replied, "Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written: " 'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men. You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men." And he said to them: "You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions!

Sunday worship was not established by God. It was established by a man whose name is Constantine. If you look into the history of Christianity, you will see that Constantine appointed Sunday so that his god, the sun god, would be worshipped. Sunday worship (day of sun) was appointed by a man and not by God Almighty. God bless you all.

• Mary
    Mary
    By the way, I'm not a Seventh Day Adventist just to make it clear to everyone.

No, but I'm betting dollars to donuts that you belong to the World Mission Society Church of God.

• brofromzion
    brofromzion

Yes Mary I belong to World Mission Society Church of God.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

An interesting thing to note - don't know if anyones said this...

Keeping the sabbath is the worship of the planet Saturn - but keeping this day you are in fact still worshiping this pagan god. He was worshiped on Saturns' day which today is called Saturday.

The planetary body Saturn, in the Hebrew language called Shabbatai comes from the three-letter Hebrew word Shabbat. Shabbat, of course, refers to the seventh day of the week in Jewish reckoning, Shabbatai was the seventh planetary body known to the ancient Jews. Seven is a special number of rest and is addressed in Jewish numerology (Taken from http://jordanmaxwell.com/articles/religion/religion10.html)

• brofromzion
    brofromzion

Keeping the sabbath is the worship of the planet Saturn - but keeping this day you are in fact still worshiping this pagan god. He was worshiped on Saturns' day which today is called Saturday.

The planetary body Saturn, in the Hebrew language called Shabbatai comes from the three-letter Hebrew word Shabbat. Shabbat, of course, refers to the seventh day of the week in Jewish reckoning, Shabbatai was the seventh planetary body known to the ancient Jews. Seven is a special number of rest and is addressed in Jewish numerology (Taken from http://jordanmaxwell.com/articles/religion/religion10.html)

Hi LouBelle thanks for the response. That's an interesting post however we have to keep the Sabbath Day "according to the Bible" and "not to worship the Saturn." It is a commandment from God according to the Bible. It can easily be distinguish the difference between "keeping God's commandments" or "worshipping the Saturn".

If Jesus and the Apostles kept the Sabbath Day, then we have to follow their examples to show we love God. If we still wanna insist our own flaws on how to show our love to God, then in God's eyes we don't really love Him. Only by keeping His commandments show we love God according to His words.

John 14:21 [Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.]

John 5:41-42 [I do not accept praise from men, but I know you. I know that you do not have the love(commandments) of God in your hearts.]

God bless you LouBelle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit