I believe in a higher being

by Mickey mouse 17 Replies latest jw friends

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

when u see all the life that is on the earth, you must ask yourself "how did it get here? " so no matter men (or women) do me, it won't change my belief in God.

• journey-on
    journey-on

I believe in a Divine Intelligence or Higher Power. I'm not sure about this "Power" being a Being, however.

• Prov1320
    Prov1320

Primatedave,

A very funny link, indeed! I needed a laugh! I found about as much "science" there as the average Awake! magazine only not as well written. Here is a good link that about sums it up: Straw Man Fallacy.

And this is a perfect example of the "straw man fallacy." I did say that everyone is entitled to their opinion. I also said that the site was a wealth of information, not scientific data.

And no, the awake unfortunately does not use logic that comes remotely close to that used by the emails and arguments presented on the site.

For a detailed explanation of the "straw man", I encourage you to visit and read this site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Have a nice day.

• jwblog
    jwblog

I opened another thread with a similar title and thought it was going to be a discussion about belief in God but it wasn't. So I started my own.

Although I'm not sure of much at the moment (since I had my beliefs whipped out from under me like the floor under my feet) I feel fairly certain about one thing. There is evidence of intelligent design and beauty in the universe and I don't logically think this is accidental. I'm not sure who or what and I think "God" is a construct of religion which is unhelpful.

Since I became free mentally I am so much in awe of the beauty of the world around us. I feel like a young child discovering the world for the first time. I also feel an incredibly strong desire to read, read and read more. I want to learn, with a different perspective. It's exciting and scary at the same time. Sorry this turned into an incoherent ramble but I thought I'd share.

Mickey.

At what point and time did you discover your calling? Do you feel that you are chosen?

• inkling
    inkling
    There is evidence of intelligent design and beauty in the universe and I don't logically think this is accidental. I'm not sure who or what and I think "God" is a construct of religion which is unhelpful. Since I became free mentally I am so much in awe of the beauty of the world around us. I feel like a young child discovering the world for the first time. I also feel an incredibly strong desire to read, read and read more

I am very sympathetic to this position, and some days I feel exactly the same way.
    Although in debates I most often take the neo-atheist side, this is mostly
    because my real issue is with dogma, and people likely to be debating atheists
    usually offer religious dogma in spades.

That being the case however, I think your position is a wonderful one, and shows
    a humility and sense of wonder that sometimes seems lost in the writings and
    worldviews of hard-core "rationalists".

[inkling]

• jwblog
    jwblog

I am very sympathetic to this position, and some days I feel exactly the same way.
    Although in debates I most often take the neo-atheist side, this is mostly
    because my real issue is with dogma, and people likely to be debating atheists
    usually offer religious dogma in spades.

That being the case however, I think your position is a wonderful one, and shows
    a humility and sense of wonder that sometimes seems lost in the writings and
    worldviews of hard-core "rationalists".

Well I read what you posted but do not truly know what you mean. What is it you mean by "dogma" and "in spades"? If your eye is simple your whole body will be bright.

• shamus100
    shamus100

With a name like Mickey Mouse, it's hard to take you seriously!~

Anyhow, I applaud you for taking a look around free from controlled thinking. You're free.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

You presented a link to a web site titled "Science against Evolution". It doesn't present itself as merely "information" as you say, but SCIENCE. The scientific method is a means of inquiry into phenomena that are observed in the universe that relies on controlled observation and experimentation. It is supposed to be an objective process that reduces the likelihood of a biased interpretation of the results. Of course, scientists are only human and are subject to certain biases regardless of intent. That said, there are scientist who study various aspects of abiogenesis and evolution that do believe in a higher power, being, or god. So why all the angst against the Theory of Evolution?

I read some of the information on that web site and saw that the writer(s) take as a GIVEN that the Theory of Evolution is false, despite volumes of evidence compiled by reputable scientists that exist in support of this theory. The writer(s) of this web site are doing exactly what they accuse some scientists of doing: "The theory came first. Then he went looking for data to back up his theory." (From the article "Half Baked Evolution") Except, in this case the assumption is that evolution is false and the writer(s) are scrounging around for ideas to discredit it.

The writer(s) also link to the web site "Answers in Genesis." Genesis is considered part of the holy writings of two major religions, if not in fact three. The writers take issue with the Grand Canyon being a geologically ancient formation, thereby implying, if not actually stating that Noah's Flood was in fact the cause of its formation. The writer(s) are in fact fundamentalist Christians with an agenda acting through a "nonprofit public benefit corporation" incorporated in California by a military weapons system designer and a Naval commanding officer. Real God and Country type men. How nice.

If I am intentionally misrepresenting the position of the writer(s) of the web site "Science against Evolution" in order to discredit them, then, yes, I am guilty of using a Straw Man Argument. Instead, I see the writer(s) of this web site attacking the entire Theory of Evolution based on some questionable hypotheses made by some scientists. By misrepresenting the broad framework of solid Science behind the Theory of Evolution with hand picked questionable or disproved hypotheses of individual scientists, the writers are guilty, in my opinion, of making Straw Man Arguments.

As far as the writing style is concerned, the writer(s) are "preaching to the choir" here, those already of the same beliefs, much like the publications of the Watchtower Society do for Jehovah's Witnesses. Yes, the words can be convincing within a certain mind set. As a born in JW, now out for two years, I can recognize that mind set more easily now, even on topics with which I tend to agree. As such, I take nothing at face value anymore.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit