Christmas

by ARoarer 15 Replies latest jw friends

• momoftwo
    momoftwo

ARoarer-

Unfortunately I was raised as a JW so I never got to experience Xmas. That's probably why I go overboard now.

I'm so sorry you missed out on celebrating with your mom. We all have regrets of things we missed out on because of being in the org. I don't know what your beliefs are now, but if you feel that your mom is in heaven (or still with you), then having a tree may be a healing thing for you. I think decorating the tree (maybe with some of her ornaments) might help you overcome some of the guilt you feel.

As far as worrying about repercussions, that's something you have to decide. I remember the first Xmas I celebrated I was constantly looking over my shoulder when I bought decorations. Now I don't really care. Like you said, you can't have the fear of man. If you want to put some lights out, then put some lights out.

Personally, I love everything about Christmas. The sights, the smells, the sounds...I don't even care about the gifts (other than the fact that I like to buy for other people). Bottom line...do what feels right to you, not what you think you should do.

mom

• Tina
    Tina

(((((((((everyone)))))))))))))
    I'm so full of 'good cheer' I'm huggin the smeggin lot of ya's lol.
    Holds the mistletoe over her head to practice hehehe. COme get yer smeggin smoochies!! luv,T

Jehovahs Witnesses,Proudly Serving Their Corporate Masters!

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

First in line for Tina smoochies!!

Dana

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end...
    Closing Time, Semisonic

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

Thankyou all for the thoughts about Christmas. Mommy Dark I love your thinking, Xena, Judith, Mom, everyone. I also have thought of some of the concerns that Tom has raised. The situation with my family will definitely be affected if the elders come. They have nothing better to do with thier lives. I am taking the beginning steps to recaputure my mind, my heart and my spirituality, new and healthy ways. Farkel mentioned in a post on Christmas, another view, how dysfunctional the Watchtower views are. Family values and connections are totally distorted and twisted. I am so glad to have seen this. Yes the lessons learned from the experiences in WT have been painful but better to have suffered the lessons and learn and heal then to stay within the corporate religion that strips its members of every shred of identity, and family connectedness. I have seen first hand the way family has been ravaged by WT's demand for corporate loyalty and secrecy. Yet I am grateful for the endurance and strength I and my family have learned from it. I have learned what evil is and goodness is not. I think this time of year will be healing whatever level I choose to participate in. Again thankyou all for sharing your thoughts.

• fairyfoxx2007
    fairyfoxx2007

Hi, I have been reading this site for a few days now and I recently registered. Like you aroar, I have misgivings about the xmas tree. Last year, I put up the xmas tree on xmas eve and we took it down 3 days later. I mainly put it up for my daughter, who is 7. It hurt me that she had to go to her grandma's (my husbands mom) in order to see a tree. I have a little fear of men, but overall I have a fear to dissapoint. My mother has been a steadfast JW since 1959, she's 62. Growing up we never missed a meeting. She was a single mom and did the best she could with us (which I think was pretty darn good) and I sometimes think that celebrating any holiday is a betrayal to her.

It doesn't help that I was baptized at 10 before I knew anything about anything, specifically boys.

So it goes without saying that I tore out her heart and did the mexican hat dance on it when I got disfellowshipped for "fornication" with my boyfriend come husband at the young age of 17. I remember how hurt she was, she even grasped at her clothing, like a figure from the old testament. I can't bear to do that to her again and yet...

My husband hung a wreath on the door (our first one ever). I hope she doesn't cry.... SIgH, Christmas is so tumultuous for me....

• Barbie Doll

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit