help

by alone 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• alone
    alone

I need help with a work situation. Background, I work part time at an office where the owner Vince, has a brother, Gerry who is kind of a manager, he actually hired me 2 1/2 yrs ago. The office is small, 2 other women work there in the evenings with me, altho another relative of V & G just started (their nephew, very young). Last week a situation came up regarding a work policy, Nancy ( a newer co worker) had a question re: said policy. Vince said to do it X way. I said that Gerry had said 6 mths ago to do it Y way. Vince said in that case we, as a group would speak to Gerry the following night when we were all together to see what was what. I said good because I needed to be clear on it. Vince agreed.

The next night I got in & only Gerry was there. I said is Vince coming in? Gerry said he didn't know, maybe, why? I said we,as a group needed to talk about something, that we needed to have a meeting about it..Gerry said nothing else. Later, Vince came in & he & Gerry were standing outside their offices speaking about something. As soon as they finished, I said "Gerry, do you remember about 6 mths ago you told us to no longer do Y. He looked at me straight in the eye & said No, I was dumbfounded because this is a man who has what I would call a photographic memory, he can remember obscure facts about a client going back years, he is very intelligent & can expound on a variety of topics & does on many occations. I said "well you did" At that point his whole demeanor changed. His face changed, his coloring changed, his stance changed, he took his one arm & lifted it up over his head & put it on the door jam..that was an agressive stance as was his following words: " IS THAT WHY YOU CALLED ME OUT HERE111. IS THAT WHY YOU CALLED THIS MEETING111 (my explanation point doesnt' work). I felt verbally attacked,,,he was yellowing & spitting out his words. My heart started beating fast & for a moment I lost my voice, I couldn't believe what was happening over a simple question. He said something else which I can't remember (my memory goes,my thinking goes when being that agressively attacked, it's a throwback to an abusive rageing father) but I answered him with: "that's right".

He went into his office & I sat down at my desk. I was shaking & my heart was racing. I couldn't think straight. Finally, I just kept thinking "this isn't right, this isn't right" So, I got up,went into his office,closed the door & said "I really don't appreciate being talked to that way. He started screaming at me :YOU THREW ME UNDER THE BUS...YOU THRU ME UNDER THE BUS. So I started screaming back at him: ''I JUST WANTED TO ASK YOU A QUESTION, I JUST WANTED TO GET CLARIFICATION OVER A MATTER THAT CAME UP. HE SAID: " YOU THREW ME UNDER THE BUS, I'M 50 YEARS OLD, DO YOU THINK I DON'T KNOW WHEN SOMEONE IS THROWING ME UNDER THE BUS? I NEVER DID THAT TO YOU!!!! I said: "VINCE SAID WE SHOULD TALK ABOUT THIS AS A GROUP, THAT'S WHY I ASKED YOU WHAT I DID!!!! We went on this way for many minutes back & forth getting nothing accomplished....finally we stopped & I walked out. I couldn't initially stand up to his attack but I did go into his office to tell him what I felt.

Basically that's the way it ended that night. Vince never said anything to me, he did talk to Gerry outside though. I wouldn't say anything to either of them. I had to regroup & get my thoughts together. Over the weekend I had time to go over everything..I looked up some information on acceptable workplace behavior & it stated: when someone takes an agressive tone or ties to intimidate or humiliate an employee in front of co workers (which is exactly what happened) that is called being a bully & that is definitely not acceptable. And if that happens you have to speak with a supervisor or employer. In this case that is Vince, Gerry's brother, who did nothing to intercede in my befalf when he could have, first when the incident started, & while it was taking place, he could have said : "Gerry, we did discuss this the other night & she is right to ask you that question" Or he could have told Gerry he was over reacting at any time. But nothing was said. To me this is totally unacceptable..

I have been feeling for the past month that looking back at my time in the org., I feel was an abusive relationship. One where the powers that be ruled & controlled my life to my detriment. That at the least it was spiritual abuse & emotional abuse. And I've been very strongly feeling NO ONE is going to do that to me again.

Therefore, if I want to keep my job, which I do because it is close to my house (gas prices), the job market has slowed down (not a good time to be unemployed) and, I'm not in the best frame of mind to be starting a new job (going through alot of changes mentally after leaving org. after 20 years) I do have to have this matter settled. I plan on telling Vince that I don't approve of Gerry's behavior, that is was/is unacceptable. That I expect nothing less than a public apology. I also need an apology from him (Vince) for not interceding in my behalf, since he as an employer is obligated to provide a safe environment.

I can see getting an apology from Gerry, but not one from Vince, he is a very proud man & I don't see him being accepting of ultimatums. I don't know though. I can no longer work there unless these terms are met, or correction, I will not quit, I will work there & do my job but it will be uncomfortable for them. I will not give them the common curtesy of a hello or goodbye. If they want to fire me, that's well & good, but I'm not quitting. That's my stand. Any insights would be welcome.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Gerry's reaction was completely bizarre, I don't have any idea what sparked his berserk but he was way out of line.

I think you are handling it well. Yes, I think you should approach them with a level head (as you are doing) state your case and demand an apology. For one thing, they will have NO RESPECT for you if you DON'T. More importantly, you will have no respect for yourself. It might be a good idea to write this all out lucidly in a letter to them.

You are quite correct. Living in the Borg is living with an abusive family. It is without a doubt a very abusive relationship, which hinges on fear, not love.

All the best, hope this works out well for you.

Cheers,
    Baba.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Therefore, if I want to keep my job, which I do because it is close to my house (gas prices), the job market has slowed down (not a good time to be unemployed) and, I'm not in the best frame of mind to be starting a new job (going through alot of changes mentally after leaving org. after 20 years) I do have to have this matter settled. I plan on telling Vince that I don't approve of Gerry's behavior, that is was/is unacceptable. That I expect nothing less than a public apology. I also need an apology from him (Vince) for not interceding in my behalf, since he as an employer is obligated to provide a safe environment.

Well, in my experience (and it has been alot) if you expect or try to force an apology from a person who is obviously mad, not only are you not going to get one, but you could be shown the door.

Why not swallow it for now, especially as you are dealing with the emotions of getting out of the borg, but be looking for a new job if this one does not improve? Perhaps a technical course lasting six months could put you in a new job direction.

You could be doing yourself a favor if you decide to get new employment. Working where you are not appreciated is humiliating and sucks the life out of you.

Hope you can find a fulfilling job that you feel contributes to your well-being and that of others.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Quandry is right... just because you stand up for yourself and demand an apology doesn't mean you're going to get it.

Nor does it mean the work environment will get any better if you DO get an aplolgy. Gerry is NOT fit to be a manager.

To go back to the Borg analogy: Remember what you had to do to remedy that situation... you had to LEAVE.

Sorry... just a heads-up of how this might all play out.

Cheers...
    Baba.

• alone
    alone

The air has to be cleared. And I can't, am not willing to "swallow it". I did that for toooooo many years in the org. & am unwilling/unable to do it anymore. That's the bottom line, come what may....

• nelly136
    nelly136

maybe if you pick the lesser psycho of the two and ask him if he can go clarify the procedure with gerry and get back to you?

• Quandry
    Quandry

The air has to be cleared. And I can't, am not willing to "swallow it".

Then make sure you are prepared to "swallow" what comes next and not be surprised.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I personally would let it go. Else you may get fired. I know how hard it is to work in an envirement where there is disagreements. But Gerry sounds like he is hurt...by saying your throwing him under the bus, & Hurt people>hurt people.You dont know what is going on between Vince & him( Gerry sound suicidel...
    You sound like your NOT going to let it go. But you asked for advice & I gave mine. But good luck with whatever happens

• hubert
    hubert

I think Gerry doesn't want to make waves against his brother Vince. I think he felt threatened by your remarks, even though I agree with what you did and said.

I also agree with Mouthy that you should try to let it go, or you will be in the middle of a "family feud"(?).

Just hang in there, and in the meantime, look for another job.

When you work in a "family" business and are not family, you are in the worst position to make your point.

I know, because I am in almost the same position as you are in right now, and trying to hang in there until I get fired, also. I just go in and do my job to the best of my ability, and whatever the last "boss" tells me to do, is the way I will do it.

Unless it's impossible to do, like it was last week. Only then will I defend my position.

Good luck.

Hubert

• alone
    alone

Spoke with a co worker today, she said she saw the new employee, the nephew, at the gym today. He told her that Gerry spoke to Vince & he said he over reacted.....we'll see.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit