Today's public talk - emotional manipulation

by mac n cheese 9 Replies latest jw friends

• mac n cheese
    mac n cheese

So I'm sitting in the KH today, and the speaker is really pretty good. He's one of those really kind, in-it-for-others type of guys and it really comes through in his talk. He starts reading scriptures about how J is near to those crushed in spirit, and how J will hear our cries for help.

And because we've been through the wringer with elders in the past, all the hurt that I thought I put behind me comes roaring back with a vengeance. I'm moved, and find myself hoping that once again, J will listen, all because the speaker is saying something kind and truly seems concerned for all of us in the audience. The speaker starts reading from Psalms about King David and I start worrying if my spouse will be able to hold it together, heck, if I can hold it together emotionally.

But then I realize, "WTF? J never answered my prayers. He doesn't give a rip about me and when everything went south for us, our group of 'friends' scattered and were nowhere to be found." I was instantly annoyed at how easily I went back for that "the brothers are supportive and J will answer your cries for help" load of garbage.

I guess I'm just really proud of myself that I was able to snap myself back to reality, and go back to not caring about what they're saying from the platform. I checked on spouse, who whispered "what a load of crap", but without bitterness.

Thanks to all the help here and from my therapist - I am celebrating my/our progress. We've made lots of wonderful "worldly" friends who don't see the need to manipulate us at all, and who truly are "a brother born during times of distress." It's really nice not to need this group of people in our lives anymore.

I also realized that the reason JWs think the world is so bad is because that's all they hear at the KH. In the prayers, in the comments, in the literature, it's all about how "the world is a terrible place to be, please protect us." We are finding the opposite is the case - and we're actually much happier now than we have been, growing up in this religion. Go figure.

Thanks for reading this far, I know it's not earth-shattering for any of you, but we're in a good place right now.

• lilyflor
    lilyflor

It is so unfortunate that all they can do is wait around for Jehovah to rescue them, from Satan, who Jehovah let loose on them in the first place. They have given away all their power to the the men of the GB.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    It is so unfortunate that all they can do is wait around for Jehovah to rescue them, from Satan, who Jehovah let loose on them in the first place. They have given away all their power to the the men of the GB.

Yup...I was at a friend's graduation party the other day and the prayer was the usual negativity...nothing said about the kid's education, of course, because JWs are not allowed to go to college.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I've found that praying to Santa is as helpful as praying to Hojovah.

Yeah, I've given talks like that. I used to believe it, too. Until I found that the 'spiritual paradise' is a scam.

B the X

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

It's guys like that speaker that I feel sorry for, and his family, probably dragging his wife and kids around for the show.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

All the power all the control all the money

there's no corruption in region

and to think there are hundreds of these so called God's special chosen organizations in operation around the globe .....scary when you think about it !

• Gopher
    Gopher

Good thing you snapped back to reality before the talk was over! Also it's good that your spouse saw right through it.

Some JW's are really nice, convincing people who can make their version of reality sound so reasonable.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have never had that Almighty Baghead answer any of my prayers. In fact, He has intentionally prevented fulfillment of them, even though I was doing the work (or was it Satan doing the work?). Instead, Baghead has insisted on forcing me to do things His way, even though nothing He ever does works.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Look through Lady Lee's posts in "Best of"

I took the advice, and began taking notes when I went to the Kingdumb Hell, of every statement that was guilt inducing, fallacious, and manipulative. If you are immune to the twistings of a JW Kingdumb Hell discourse, you will never get involved or be empowered to escape..

Don't throw away God with the bathwater though.

The Witlesses worship a stone age Babylonian Death God, but I have come to believe that we all have spirituality, and that "God" "Jesus" -these are words I know - but what these words can represent to you as you work out your OWN salvation, whatever you see that to be, can become such powerful forces in your life, that you can truly feel that you have been protected by a benevolence you may never understand.

_ Yes yes yes - sorry ( this is how I see things right now.)

• MARTINLEYSHON
    MARTINLEYSHON

Sounds like you need to make a decision either you are in or you are out. Stop being likewarm...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit