A Piece of News

by winnower 14 Replies latest jw friends

• winnower
    winnower

Hello all. There are some little heel nippers on this board who have mocked, scoffed, and twisted my words. That is to be expected, I suppose. I have been accused of "predicting". First of all let me say "I" have nothing to do with it. The information I have given has not come from my own knowledge or intellect about high finances...because I know absolutely nothing about stock markets and all of that stuff. I do not participate and I do not even understand the terminology. It has never interested me. Secondly, I am not in the business of "predicting" anything. I will specifically say if it is my "impression" or if I am "speculating". Therefore, if I tell you something boldly as a fact that has yet come to pass, you may rest assured I have an infallible source. ("God does nothing without first telling his servants the prophets." Amos 3:7) I have not owned a television in over 10 years and it has been almost 2 years since I have watched a program. I do not read the newspaper. Sometimes I will find things I need to know on the computer, but it is all spirit directed. Usually I am looking for a confirmation of a "knowing" that I have received. (It is NOT like a "hunch"; it is a definite "knowing") I don't know any other way to explain it to you. I work from home and I don't socialize or get out much. The reason I am telling you this is so that you can know, that even if you are alone or in isolated conditions from the world, the Holy Spirit will provide whatever you need to know and guide you in what you need to do. You do not need to depend on the dictates of any religion or group for direction. It is no joy for me to deliver this news. It is not my intent to cause anyone to fear; it is my intent to uplift you in this...to help you to see the big picture, and to encourage you to have faith in our creator provider. In my original post in mid- April, I said "a catalyst event" would occur in the month of May. This event would cause a great economic crisis and "ALL HANDS WILL DROP". I also said it would lead to wall street folding up shop and their briefcases would be empty. Since then some people on the board here (Seeker 4, Caedes, Burn the Ships, Inking) have made some heckling comments. I am assuming that perhaps they have busy lives and they don't keep up with the news either. So for them, and also for others who may not be aware of how really severe this storm is, I have put together this information. I DID NOT say that there will be a market crash. Market crashes come and go. What is about to happen will be worse than a simple market crash and it will cause GLOBAL repercussions. One way that this differs from any market crash is that there WILL BE NO RECOVERY. (ahhh, there will be "an illusion" of recovery way down the road, but that is a manipulated plan also and I will not discuss that as yet. I have mentioned it in a previous post.) When I made the statement in my original post, it was made as a sort of an "aside"; economic collapse was not the focus of my post. It was intended to give you background information so you could understand that there would be great chaos and upheaval at the time when certain Tower changes I detailed would be implemented. Have you never wondered why information in the publications seem so perfectly timed to what happens in the world? It is because all these events are being orchestrated from a group of entities behind not only the watchtower, but most every religious establishment. When the bottom falls out and chaos ensues, the JWs have already been conditioned not to have to think for themselves and they will look to their leaders for guidance. What an opportune time to bring in these new changes! The people will be very vunerable and will never question because they are more afraid than ever and the tower "is all they can trust now." It is heartbreaking and sad to me and will be also for many of you. As a matter of fact, some of you here will return to the Tower at this point, thinking they have been right. They are liars and decievers and what I am trying to warn you about is that these events have been contrived and elaborately planned. This endeavor has been in the works for over 100 years. When this chaos breaks out the JWs will yell "armageddon". But this is NOT the real armageddon. I want you all to understand this. The tower teachings have very much misguided you as far as the chain of events. The scriptures tell us the events in this time in history will be like a woman in labor. The past few years we have been having contractions. Now, the water is about to break. Many of you are in denial that this is happening. You have been told on a weekly basis for years that the wolf was at the door...but wolfy never was. That, too, was another effective mind control maneuver on you. Now, it makes you angry if you hear anything about a wolf! Because in the day the wolf really comes to the door, you won't listen. I am going to present some headlines to you from the past 23 days so you can see the progression for yourself. I will start with the most recent first. Some may be a little out of order. Before I present this, I have some important words for you. DO NOT FEAR what is about to come. YOU ARE THE OVERCOMERS. You have been called out from among the evil that you fell into with your association with the Towers. Your hearts leaned toward truth; you were given a certain gift of discernment in that you recognized the lack of true spiritual fruitage in that environment. It is going to be a rough ride, but we will all be in the same boat. These things MUST happen. We have been promised that those who are destroying the earth will be brought to ruin. This is part of that promise being fulfilled during the immediate future ahead of us. YOU WILL EMERGE VICTORIOUS. In Revelation we are given instruction to both "watch" and "endure". Pray for strength and guidance at this time. If, after reading the accounts of the past 23 days, any of you think I have spoken falsely I would like to hear your comments. If you think I have spoken truthfully then maybe some of you will say hello. What Is Not Seen More on Stock Market Valuation posted in Economic Analysis May 22, 2008 The latest bull market lasted more than 17 years, from Oct. 1982 to Jan. 2000. Currently, the 10 P/E has been decreasing for 5 years, ever since the dot-com crash. With current levels above 25, it should be safe to say that the stock market, also from a fundamental perspective, is over valued. Do the math! Is The DJIA Setting Up for a Crash? TradingMarketsdotcom May 22, 2008 In 1987, just 8 weeks after hitting a market high, the stock market crashed. Should we be bracing for another crash? U.S. Ascendancy: Endgame May 22, 2008 The Seattle Times ....after the 2003 invasion of Iraq, Opec abandoned it's $22 to $28 price range for oil. The cost per barrel over 5 years rose to $100. (winnower comment: look how fast it is rising now! A new record every day or two!) From Associated Press: Oil surpasses $135 a barrel on new supply concerns Oil prices rose above $135 a barrel for the first time Thursday, with supply worries, global demand and an ever weakening U.S dollar driving crude futures up. Also on Thursday, The Wall Street Journal reported that the world's top energy watchdog is preparing a sharp downward revision of its oil-supply forecast. .....With gas and oil prices setting new records nearly every day, analysts have begun to wonder what might stop prices from rising. "The sentiment in the market is very bullish at the moment," said David Moore, commodity strategist with the Commonwealth Bank of Australia in Sydney . "The U.S. dollar was weaker last night, and also the U.S. EIA report showed an unexpected decline in U.S. commercial crude oil inventories , so there's a combination of factors pushing the oil prices higher." Crude prices breezed past $130 early Wednesday, then accelerated when the U.S. Energy Department's Energy Information Administration said U.S. crude inventories fell by more than 5 million barrels last week. Analysts had expected a modest increase. Investment bank Goldman Sachs last week revised its oil price forecast for the second half of 2008 from $107 to $141 a barrel. But some analysts saw the new target becoming a reality much sooner. "Futures are moving so fast that under the current volatility that goal could already be reached within the end of the week," said a report by Olivier Jakob of Petromatrix in Switzerland . Some analysts say crude has been boosted in recent days by especially strong demand for diesel in China , where power plants in some areas are running desperately short of coal. The Fed's Quiet Power Moves Supporters Say Bernanke Needs Flexibility, While Critics Worry Taxpayers Could Be Stuck Bailing Out Banks For a central banker, the most important parts of the job can be the most arcane. Federal Reserve Board Chairman Ben S. Bernanke drew few headlines when he sent a brief letter on May 13 to Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and four other congressional leaders about a seemingly obscure housekeeping matter. He asked Congress to authorize the Fed to pay interest to banks on the money they keep on deposit at the central bank, beginning immediately; under current law, the Fed can't pay interest until 2011. Bernanke's request could be a big deal. If approved it will set in motion a chain of events that could increase the Fed's flexibility and power in ways that many economists—and members of Congress—have yet to comprehend. It's part of his campaign to help ailing banks without spoiling the Fed's other mission, which is to control inflation. Once again, the mild-mannered Bernanke is forcing authors to rewrite their economics textbooks. Whether or not you favor increasing the Fed's muscle depends on how much you trust the central bank to do the right thing. Supporters say it's important to take the handcuffs off so the Fed can do whatever is necessary to prevent a credit crunch from setting off a generalized economic collapse. Skeptics say it's a mistake for the Fed to keep taking junky securities as loan collateral, putting taxpayers at risk to bail out bankers who made dumb loans and investments How could a simple thing like paying interest on reserves have such wide-ranging effects? It's a bit complicated, but plays out something like this: U.S. banks relend most of the money they receive in deposits, but they have to hold a certain percentage in reserve for safety. These funds, consisting of either cash in their own vaults and ATMs or deposits at the Fed, earn no interest. If banks could earn interest on their reserves at the Fed, they'd probably be willing to keep more money there. They could sell some of the Treasury bonds and bills they own to the Fed and put the proceeds in their reserve accounts. Or they could deposit more of their vault cash at the Fed, which would use the money to buy Treasuries. Either way, the change would give the Fed something it dearly needs—a bigger stash of Treasury securities to support its role as a lender of last resort. In fighting the credit crunch, the Fed has been exhausting its vast trove of Treasuries in recent months. It has lent nearly $140 billion worth to banks in exchange for relatively iffy assets such as mortgage-backed securities. In addition, so far this year it has sold $234 billion worth of Treasuries outright to soak up some of the excess money in the financial system created by its emergency lending to weak institutions. some excerpts from on-line Trade Journals: may 22 The bottom line for investors: Except for oil drillers, the high price of oil hurts nearly every industry in the stock market. Many stocks were expecting a lift from the economic stimulus package, but that might not arrive. Instead conditions could get even worse, and the hardest hit may be consumer discretionary stocks as many American skip on luxuries this summer. Oil prices reached nosebleed territory on May 21, moving above $133 per barrel in New York trading—on the same day that Federal Reserve officials expressed growing concern about inflation. Stocks Stumble on Record Oil; Inflation Worries May 20, 2008 Wall Street stumbled Tuesday after oil prices spiked to a new record above $129 a barrel and a government report raised investors' concerns about the impact of inflation on consumer spending. The Dow Jones industrials fell nearly 200 points. Crude jumped after OPEC 's president was quoted as saying his organization won't raise its output before its next meeting in September. That sent a barrel of light, sweet crude to a trading high of $129.60 before it finished just above $129 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange . Meanwhile, the Labor Department 's producer price report indicated higher energy and food prices might be seeping into other parts of the economy — compounding investors' concerns raised by higher oil. The department said wholesale inflation edged up by 0.2 percent in April following a 1.1 percent jump in March, but outside of food and energy, prices rose by a faster 0.4 percent — double what analysts expected. Wall Street is worried that a drop-off in consumer spending could ensue if wholesale price increases are passed along; consumer spending is critical because it accounts for more than two-thirds of the U.S. economy. Analyst Stephen Leeb believes escalating oil prices and their fallout have now replaced the health of the financial sector as the market's biggest worry. He said rising energy creates a "very vicious circle" through the economy, and thinks the government must take some kind of action to bring down prices. "Stock investors are watching oil, period," said Leeb, whose New York -based Leeb Capital Management focuses on crude and its impact on equities. "The events that moved the market before revolved around write-offs and foreclosures, but all that's changed." The retreat in major indexes reversed the optimism of last week, when stocks rose on a growing belief that the economy is still managing to plod along despite worries about both oil prices and the global credit crisis. The loss showed that the market has yet to shake off the volatility that has plagued it since the credit crisis began last summer. The mood on the Street was further depressed Tuesday by sluggish retail reports and comments from Federal Reserve Vice Chairman Donald Kohn that policymakers are inclined to hold interest rates steady. According to preliminary calculations, the Dow fell 199.48, or 1.53 percent, to 12,828.68, logging its biggest daily slide since a 206-point drop on May 7. Broader market indexes also retreated. The Standard & Poor's 500 index shed 13.23, or 0.93 percent, to 1,413.40, and the Nasdaq composite index dropped 23.83, or 0.95 percent, to 2,492.26. Bond prices rose as investors sought the relative safety of government securities. The yield on the benchmark 10-year Treasury note, which moves opposite its yield, fell to 3.78 percent from 3.83 percent late Monday. Gold gained, and the dollar fell against other major currencies. Concerns about rising inflation, spurred by higher prices for commodities, were the topic of a speech by Kohn. The policymaker said he was cautiously upbeat that the economy will recover, and that the central bank "appears to be appropriately calibrated" to manage inflation over the medium term. Meanwhile, the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago reported that U.S. economic activity weakened further in April and reached its lowest level since the 2001 recession. But some analysts believe the market's slide gave investors an opportunity to collect profits. Peter Cardillo, chief market economist at New York -based brokerage Avalon Partners, said Tuesday's decline doesn't change the market's long-term prospects. "The oil price rise is being done by speculators and does not reflect market fundamentals," he said. "But, it still has an effect on the consumer — and investor confidence is equal to consumer confidence, which has been having swings as of late." Cardillo is watching to see any kind of indicator about how much Americans are spending to get a better idea of how Wall Street views the economy. "It's a battle between prices and the consumer," he said, "and the consumer usually does win." Investors did get some data on consumer spending during the session. The International Council of Shopping Centers and UBS Securities showed chain-store sales fell 0.4 percent during the week of May 17, down from 1 percent the previous week. Investors also mined earnings reports from Home Depot Inc ., Target Corp ., and Staples Inc . for clues about consumers. Home Depot fell $1.50, or 5.2 percent, to $27.37 after it reported first-quarter profit fell 66 percent amid a continued housing slump. Target reported that profit dropped almost 8 percent on higher costs, but it beat expectations. Shares fell 63 cents to $54.29. Staples said profit rose 1.5 percent during the quarter, and reaffirmed its outlook. Shares rose 4 cents to $23.61. Banking stocks fell after Oppenheimer & Co. analyst Meredith Whitney said she expects the credit crisis to extend into 2009, and "perhaps beyond." She said firms like JPMorgan Chase & Co . and Citigroup Inc . have set aside $25 billion to cover losses, but might have to set aside about $170 billion by the end of next year. Citi fell 88 cents, or 3.8 percent, to $22.11. JPMorgan , which held its annual meeting Tuesday, dropped $2.29, or 5 percent, to $43.70. Advancers led decliners by nearly 2 to 1 on the New York Stock Exchange , where volume came to 1.24 billion shares. The Russell 2000 index of smaller companies fell 2.80, or 0.38 percent, to 735.65. Overseas, Japan 's central bank kept interest rates steady Tuesday amid lingering worries about a global slowdown. Tokyo 's Nikkei closed down 0.77 percent. In Europe , London 's FTSE dropped 2.90 percent, Frankfurt 's DAX fell 1.49 percent and Paris ' CAC 40 shed 1.70 percent. Prince Charles Climate Alarmism: Eighteen Months Until Disaster U.S. Hiding True Unemployment Numbers The Daily Reckoning Maybe this “recession” thing is why the Labor Department reported that the U.S. lost another 20,000 jobs in April. In fact, the economy has shed 260,000 jobs since New Year’s Day! No End In Sight For Home Foreclosures AFP Foreclosure actions hit a fresh all-time high in April of 243,353. Food Riots Are Coming to the U.S. Counterpunch May 11, 2008 IMF Sells Gold Reserves Australian News May 7, 2008 The Great Depression of the 2010"s Gold Seek May 5, 2008 We are today in the initial stages of another collapse that will lead to another Great Depression. The safeguards put in place to prevent such from happening were not only disassembled in 1999; but, now in 2008, the US government has moved even closer to exposing its citizenry and indeed the world to the speculative carnage and folly of investment banking excess. Layoffs Rise 68% in April Reuters May 1, 2008 U.S. companies’ planned layoffs jumped 68 percent in April from the prior month to the highest since September 2006, pointing to further deterioration in the labor market, a report showed on Thursday. Planned job cuts in U.S. companies totaled 90,015 last month, up from 53,579 in March and up 27 percent from a year earlier, ...... In truth, these investment banks are global entities and have no actual nationality no matter what jurisdiction in which they are legally domiciled. As such, they also have no allegiance except to their own self-interests. Bank of England: Get Ready for Increased Misery May 14, 2008 Daily Mail Families have been warned to expect a sharp fall in living standards as the Bank of England grapples with soaring inflation. Dynamics of the Global Economy Are Changing imf dot org May 9, 2008 The global economy is being buffeted by powerful crosswinds. Disruptive financial market turmoil is slowing growth in advanced economies. But emerging market economies have provided a measure of global resilience, although this has also set the stage for a boom in food and fuel prices. IMF Predicts Slower World Growth Amid Serious Market Crisis ...a sharp slowdown in the U.S. Financial Crisis: A Survival Guide The credit crunch now threatens UK investors. House prices are falling and stock markets are volatile. What to do if the UK economy follows the US into a sharp downturn. EU Says Consumers Suffer As Food, Oil Stoke Inflation May 14, 2008 European consumers are ``suffering'' as surging food and energy prices erode the value of their wages, finance officials said, urging governments to boost spending to help the poorest deal with the fastest inflation in 16 years. May 14, 2008 Oil prices rose to a record $126.98 today. WTO TELLS BUSH TO CUT TRADE BARRIERS, IMPROVE EXPORTS Friday May 16, 2008 (winnower: So who is really running this country? Has Bush obligated us to take orders from the UN affiliates now?) India's Inflation Unexpectedly Accelerates on Food May 16, 2008 India's inflation rate unexpectedly rose to the highest in 3 1/2 years, adding pressure on the central bank to raise borrowing costs further to tame prices. Consumer Credit Crisis Showing Up in the Cards May 14, 2008 The money drain from high food and gas prices is causing consumers to fall behind on home-equity loans at Bank of America - at an even faster rate than the bank forecast only three weeks ago. Food Costs Jump Most in 18 Years May 15, 2008 Washington Post Rising global grain prices helped spark the largest increase in monthly food costs in nearly 20 years, as consumers paid more in April for cereals and baked goods, and the dairy, meat and other animal products that rely on feedstocks, the government reported yesterday May 7, 2008 Oil Price May Hit $200 a Barrel The price of crude oil could soar to $200 a barrel in as little as six months, as supply continues to struggle to meet demands, a report has warned. Goldman Sachs energy strategist Argun Murti made the warning as benchmark US light crude passed the $123 mark for the first time. Surging demand was increasingly likely to create a "super-spike" past $200 in six months-to-two years' time, he said. Oil prices have now risen by 25% in the last four months and 400% since 2001. BBC news The Bush administration will temporarily halt oil shipments into the US Strategic Petroleum Reserve(SPR) for the rest of this year, the Energy Department announced Friday. The announcement came 3 days after Congress voted overwhelmingly in favor of suspending the purchases to ease the upward pressure on oil prices. (propellerdotcom) In 1999, the price of oil hovered around $16 a barrel. By 2008, it had crossed the $100 a barrel mark. (Feb. 19, 2008 =100) (nytimes) What a Deal: Trash for Treasuries May 18, 2008 Part of the Federal Reserve’s plan to keep Wall Street solvent — letting banks trade hard-to-sell securities for cash — could force the taxpayers to cover losses 18 May Reuters Spike in crude prices may significantly dampen market rebound, says IMF Washington Rising global oil prices could significantly dampen progress that has been made so far in calming financial markets, the International Monetary Fund’s chief economist said on Friday.

Federal Regulators Close Arkansas Bank May 9, 2008 ANB Financial banks closed by federal regulators over 'unsafe and unsound' practices David Barr, a spokesman for the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. says many customers served by the bank's nine locations had accounts under $100,000, which will be fully insured by the government. Barr says customers can continue to write checks and draw money from ATMs through the weekend. As of Jan. 31, federal regulators say ANB Financial had about $2.1 billion in assets and $1.8 billion in total deposits. It was the third closure this year of an FDIC-insured bank. Douglass National Bank, a Missouri bank with $58.5 million in assets, was shut in January; another Missouri institution with assets of $18.7 million, Hume Bank, was shut down in March. Both were dwarfed in size of ANB Financial, where regulators found lax lending standards, mostly for construction and development loans for projects in Utah , Idaho and Wyoming , as well as Arkansas . Watch Out Below The Croesus Chronicles May 22, 2008 Oil prices continue to surge to new records. Gold prices climb. Stocks retreat in the U.S. , Europe and Asia . The dollar goes south. Housing prices continue to fall. Consumer confidence erodes. The banking crisis has not hit bottom. Fed action is not enough. Congressional intervention is necessary. So says Thomas J. Barrack Jr., chairman and chief executive officer of Colony Capital, a California-based hedge fund, in his April letter to Colony partners. It may come as a shock--but Croesus believes we are only a third of the way through the credit crisis, and investors should get ready to experience more pain. As Barrack put it to Croesus quite directly this week: "The denial is beyond belief--at every level." The following are videos found at Forbes Europe Slips on Oil May 22, 2008 Crude climbs past $135 a barrel as Air France-KLM warns on fuel costs. Oil Tops $135 May 22, 2008 Soaring crude oil and Calpine's takeover captivates the Street. Record Oil, Wall Street Blues May 21, 2008 With crude at $133, central bank offers little hope for economy. AMR leads stock tumble. Street Tumbles on Record Oil May 21, 2008 Stocks crumpled thanks to crude at over $133. AMR announces plans to combat high fuel costs. Euro, Oil Keep Climbing May 21, 2008 Stronger German econ data sends euro up against the dollar, oil passes $130. Investors React to $130 Oil May 21, 2008 Stocks were mixed and Time Warner revealed plans for the separation of its Cable arm. Energy Sector Rises on Record Oil May 20, 2008 Oil hits $129 a barrel, airline stocks suffer, HP reports. ------end of video section---------- World Oil Price Near Record Highs May 7, 2008 World oil traded only a little below 122 US dollars per barrel Wednesday after concerns over supply in key producer Nigeria helped push prices to record highs in frenzied trading, dealers said. Morgan Stanley aims to axe 350 London jobs May 16, 2008 Morgan Stanley has begun a series of job cuts in London that could see at least 350 axed in the latest round of redundancies to hit the City. The US investment bank began cutting jobs on Wednesday, with the process expected to take some weeks as Morgan Stanley continues to restructure. Between 150 and 200 employees have already lost their jobs. News that Morgan Stanley would cut about 5pc of its workforce, or 1,500 globally, surfaced earlier this month but most of the sackings were expected to come in the US . The speed and scale of the cuts in London have taken some Morgan Stanley insiders by surprise. Could Oil Hit $200 in 'Super Spike'? May 10, 2008 Oil prices threaten to hit $200 a barrel in a final "super-spike" over coming months as producers fail to keep pace with blistering demand from China and the Middle East , according to a controversial report by Goldman Sachs. "We believe the current energy crisis may be coming to a head. A 'super-spike' end game may be in the early stages of playing out," said Arjun Murti, the bank's energy strategist. James Williams of West Texas Research Group said OPEC was right to be wary of the turning cycle. "If stocks build up at a time of recession, it creates the possibility of an unmanageable collapse. Oil could drop like a rock,"he said. Layoffs coming to Kintera May 8, 2008 One month after Kintera Software received notice regarding their de-listing from NASDAQ, widespread layoffs have begun at the San Diego-based company. The cuts happened ahead of the firm’s quarterly earnings call. Company spokespeople said that more than 40 people were cut starting Tuesday. The department losing the most jobs was finance, followed by marketing and product development. Roth Capital, one of the few analysts still tracking the stock has downgraded Kintera from “buy” to “hold” on Monday, 15 months after making it a “buy.” The stock closed yesterday at 56 cents per share. At its highest price, it fetched $17.73 in April of 2004. Kintera had raised $40 million in July 2003 with its initial public offering. AIG Posts $7.8 Billion Loss May 8, 2008 Credit Crunch, Earnings Reports, Insurance These blows brought AIG’s total write-downs due to the credit crisis to more than $30 billion, with another $9 billion-plus in damage just to the balance sheet, putting them in the same league as UBS, Citigroup, and Merrill Lynch. The massive losses scared investors and could deal a blow to optimists who had bet that the worst of the crisis had already passed. Canada Refuses to Bail Out Troubled Banks May 8, 2008 Yahoo Shares Fall 15% Yesterday May 6 Internet industry, Microsoft, Yahoo, Yahoo Microsoft Merger S&P Cuts Countrywide’s Rating to Junk May 3, 2008 Home Depot to Close 15 Underperforming Stores May 1, 2008 Planned Layoffs Rise 68% May 1, 2008 Gas prices, Layoffs Many of the pink slips were handed out in the financial sector, due to the housing slump and about $300 billion in write-offs on bad mortgages and investments. The financial services industry had announced 23,106 cuts in April with almost half of them occurring in a two-day period that saw huge layoffs at investment banks Citigroup and Merrill Lynch. The telecommunications sector was in second place with announced layoffs in April, coming in at 8,007 cuts, followed closely by 7,954 planned cuts in the transportation industry. Looking forward, fallout from record gas and oil prices may result in more layoffs than the housing slump caused, according to John Challenger, CEO of Challenger, Gray & Christmas. “The impact of high gasoline prices is rippling through the economy much faster than the housing collapse ever did or will,” said Challenger in a statement. Starbucks is Latest Victim in Economic Downturn May 1, 2008 Starbucks, which says that the current market conditions are the worst in its 37-year history, GM Posts $3.25 Billion Loss Sun Microsystems 3Q loss stuns Wall Street May 2, 2008 Toyota Stock Falls as Profit Declines Light and Medium Truck Trade Journal Wall Street falls as oil nears $US120 The Australian May 16, 2008 WALL Street stocks dropped overnight as investors worried about record oil prices, weak housing and cautious corporate outlooks. Associated press May 15, 2008 The Labor Department said the number of laid off-workers applying for jobless benefits rose last week by 6,000 to 371,000 — near the average analyst forecast, and suggesting that the labor market remains weak but in check. The Philadelphia Federal Reserve said regional manufacturing activity is contracting in May at a slower pace than in April, and at a milder clip than analysts expected. But the Fed said nationwide industrial output sank for the second straight month in April by 0.7 percent, due to big cutbacks in the automotive and other manufacturing industries. The drop was more than double analysts' average prediction. Layoff's Watch '08: JP MORGAN. YOU HEARD ME RIGHT. May 1, 2008 Apparently JPM has let go of their entire bespoke correlation trading team, to make room for the Bear guys, who will supposedly be getting their jobs. THE STREET IS COVERED WITH PINK SLIPS May 5, 2008 Filed under Banking/ corporate restructure/ Lay-offs/ M & A Earlier Monday, Dealscape highlighted talk of lay-offs at UBS. Now there's talk that Goldman, Sachs & Co. and Morgan Stanley will join in the lay-off trend. Bear Stearns Lay-offs Begin May 1, 2008 After weeks of anxiety-ridden anticipation the Bear-Stearns Cos lay-offs begin. As J.P. Morgan Chase and Company completes its $10 a share takeover of the bank, the employees at Bear Stearns have started receiving letters that notify them if they will remain employed... Reuters Automotive Armageddon May 14, 2008 BCC Warns of Worsening Outlook May 12, 2008 Breaking News The British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) has warned the economic outlook for 2009 is worsening, with a more prolonged slowdown in economic activity than was initially thought. NEW YORK (Reuters) - Warren Buffett, the world's richest person, said on Monday the U.S. economy is in a recession that will be more severe than most people expect. UBS Announces $10.9 Billion Loss, Job Cuts, and Tax Probe May 7, 2008 London The Swiss banking giant UBS, the European bank hit hardest by the tight credit market, said Tuesday that it had sold $15 billion of subprime mortgage debt and would cut 5,500 jobs as part of its cleanup, news that some investors saw as an indication that the bank was dealing with its problems. But the bank already faces new challenges elsewhere. Customers are withdrawing money from its asset- and wealth-management business Ortho Stocks May Be Vunerable As Job Losses Mount May 2, 2008 ..... Some analysts say the trend may continue as job losses mount, insurance policies disappear and post-employment health coverage expires. READ THIS ....Since Soros is a major supporter of a secretive Democracy Alliance, a group backed by rich liberals who fund a network of liberal-left groups, dedicated to electing democrats to the White House and Congress, could the discussion have also been political in nature? The American people should be quickly educated by our media on how very rich people like Paulsen and Soros make "bets" on the rise or fall of national currencies and economies. Paulsen is now telling investors "it's still not too late" to bet on more economic problems. These are capitalists who seem to have a vested interest in the further decline of the US economy. We may not know much about Paulsen, but we know a lot about Soros. He is a financial manipulator, convicted of illegal insider trading in France, for playing financial games with a bank there.
  • winnower
    winnower

This could be the Kiss of Judas. I suspect there will be some severe repercussions from Bush's ill-mannered

scolding of the Saudi's.

BUSH WARNS ARAB STATES ON WOMEN, OIL

May 19, 2008

In the final speech of his brief Middle East tour, U.S. President George W. Bush, cautioned Arab states on Sunday regarding the treatment of women in society and warned that the underpinning of the region’s economy, oil, is running out. Addressing delegates at the World Economic Forum in the Egyptian resort….. Bush lashed out at Arab states for their treatment of women. Bush also took the opportunity to warn oil-reliant states that they need to diversify their economies away from hydrocarbon-based exports. “The rising price of oil has brought great wealth to some in this region,” the paper quoted Bush as saying, “but the supply of oil is limited, and nations like mine are aggressively developing alternatives to oil.” “Over time as the world becomes less dependent on oil, nations in the middle East will have to build more diverse and more dynamic economies,” he said. The paper quoted Gerald Butt, the Editor of the Middle East Economic Survey, as saying that Arab nations would not take kindly to Bush’s remarks. “Arab states don't like being told what to do by outsiders, and especially by America , whose standing in the region is very low,” Butt said, adding that, “Bush’s comments will be dismissed as unwarranted interference.” (remarks in UK and Scotsman; author Joel Bowman)

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Hi, from your heel nipper friend Seeker4!

I'm fairly aware of current events - I'm a newspaper editor and I write a monthly feature for my state's main business magazine!

I agree that these are very difficult times, and economically it may be the worst period we've faced in my lifetime. What your references show is that we're facing a difficult time due to a variety of issues and events.

What you wrote, and repeated above, is different from that.

You agree that you wrote: "In my original post in mid- April, I said "a catalyst event" would occur in the month of May. This event would cause a great economic crisis and "ALL HANDS WILL DROP". I also said it would lead to wall street folding up shop and their briefcases would be empty."

Skyrocketing fuel prices are hardly a May event. So unless there is a singular "catalyst event" in the next week, and Wall Street closes down, you're just another false prophet.

I do not believe that God is communicating with you. It's that claim that turned me into a heel nipper. Your extraordinary claim of being God's prophet requires extraordinary proof and evidence, and time is running out for you Winnower. I for one will hold your feet to the fire. IF what you say proves to be absolutely true, I will also be the first to apologize to you, and I'll reconsider my non-belief in a higher power.

Have a great holiday weekend!

S4

• yknot
    yknot

Okay....I agree that the US dollar is screwed and I expect it to cause some upheavals globally.

Big business sucks when it becomes a greedy fat bastard and forgets that consumers provide it's food.

Sure this could act as a catalyst for several tribulationsesque scenarios.

It could be the rally call for an Unionization of the American Continents.

Ebbs and tides always lined the pockets of wealthy men.

What do you suggest any of us do?

• besty
    besty

Never was a thread so innaccurately named.

• sir82
    sir82

Here's what I don't get:

Why set yourself up for ridicule? You're predicting, essentially, the end of civilization as we know it by May 31, 2008. There's ony a little more than a week to go.

If you're after followers or whatever, what kind of credibility are you going to have come June 1?

See, if I wanted to break into the "true prophet" business, here's what I would do: I'd pick some date at least 4 or 5 years out into the future, write a book or 2, build up some anticipation. Surely there will be some nugget of financial bad news between now and 2013, which I could then point to and say "See?!? it's coming closer!"

But to pick a date just 8 days away? It's credibility suicide, man!

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

I for one would like to thank Winnower for catching me up on all the news on the internet for the last month!

• journey-on
    journey-on

Winnower,

I'm not trying to belittle what you have said or the research you have presented.

But, I think if you took a list of "headlines" from ...oh, I don't know....let's just say 1938 or 1942 or 1965 or 1979,

they would be just as dark and gloomy. I'm not saying that everything is hunky-dory and all is well on the waterfront,

but what I am saying is: Man needs to be focusing on repairing what is wrong and concentrating on what is good in

the world with a purpose of finding peace and prosperity for all. This Doom and Gloom can be a self-fullfilling thing,

if you know what I mean and too much constant focus on it is a red herring. It keeps us from looking at the goodness

that is out there, because when you focus on the Love and Light, that is what is drawn to the world. When you focus

on the Dark and Gloomy, that is what is pulled in.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

sir82:

Exactly! No real guy in the prophet business ever gets THAT specific! What is he thinking. I'm afraid Winnower will be a short-lived prophet.

It's why I loved his first post - he made such a definitive statement, and then repeated it here. I've got to hand it to him - he's got guts.

S4

• Warlock
    Warlock

Don't worry about what you know, it's what you DON'T KNOW that will kill you.

Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit