martial arts

by Mysterious 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I remember the JW view of martial arts being cemented in my head when I asked my mother at the age of 6 if I could take karate. The look of horror on her face. She told me it was violent and JWs could not practice violence. Having met several black belts from varying disciplines I have to say that those truly involved in martial arts are some of the least violent people I have ever met. Then came the explanation of how many martial arts involved meditation and that was wrong. In my tae kwon do class we are told to be mindful of the present and engage in the class with a willing mind, OMG brainwashing I'm sure. Then I guess there is the bowing, but it isn't really a worshipful thing, it is more a a respect. Anyway to make a rambling story short I have finally started taking tae kwon do and I'm hoping to have my yellow belt by the end of the summer. I also hurt in places I had not imagined existed.

Has anyone else taken martials either before, during or after they were in the borg and what kinds of transformations in your attitudes toward martial arts have you undergone over time?

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

I signed up my 6 year old boy for taekwon do about 6 months ago. I really think he needs this and at that point I decided I wasn't going to live under the watchtower BS rules any more. He loves it. It's turned a few heads in the congregation since he's been spotted in town in his uniform (we usually go out for lunch after his lesson). I was told the elders were looking to talk to me about it, but they've never actually called.

• rekless
    rekless

Both my sons took up MA and studied Savat, both received their black belts after we left the borg.

THey were good. Wesley held the heavy weight title for awhile in mixed martial arts- cage fighting in California. Then sufferered a major concusion, and had to quit fighting. Seth was on his way up until he got married and had children.

THe experience was good for them, as it built self esteeme, self confidence and self respect, as well as respect for others, the, ring, dojo, sensia, and life itself.

carry on and enjoy.

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

Doing something has crossed my mind before. I'm skinny and so don't have too much all out strength, and I suppose it could be useful to know how to defend one's self should it become necessary.

Would be interested to hear others' experiences, too.

MissingLink: why don't you let your boy handle the elders should they call? ;)

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

I was a 3rd degree brown belt in Chinese Kempo Karate before I became a JW in my mid 20's. I also cross trained in Judo, Brazilian Ju Jitsu, and Modern Arnis.

I agree, some of the best people I've ever known were black belts. The one's I knew did not have an air of superiority or have a violent nature. They were humble, approachable and helpful. I also met 2 grandmasters, Wally Jay and Remy Presas whenever they came to do seminars. Again these 2 epitomized the true nature of a martial artist, they showed true humility and are great teachers of their art.

I regret leaving my training, but I'm trying to get my body back in shape to pursue it again. I had self confidence, self esteem and discipline. The training in the arts certainly helped me to be more focused and goal oriented and that transferred well into other areas in my life such as career, family etc...

I recall an Awake article that was about a sport karate competitor who became a witness. I was turned off by the experience because the guy seemed to a big ego as a martial artist and was driven by that. Of course the article highlighted that and how he liked to dominate his opponents making it seem that is all what martial arts do.

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

i never took it, i do know it was a big no no. but whats funny is that i have always collected old school martial arts films like 5 deadly venoms, enter the dragon, etc. anyway it turns out that this other brother was a fan as well, so we would watch them, etc. anyway, one day an elder comes up to me and in a nut shell says that if i continue to watch these movies i will not be able to handle mics or have any privileges. lol

• S3RAPH1M
    S3RAPH1M

I was in Judo before becoming a witness. Now that I'm out, I'm going to study all forms and types of martial arts. All the best!

• Xena
    Xena

I've taken Krav Maga and loved it. Besides kicking my ass into shape it gave me a lot of confidence in regard to my own personal safety.

I practiced Aikido for years and was an instructor. Yes the JW outlook on MA is totally wacked as with their outlook on just about everything else. To say MA teaches violence is to speak from ignorance. As for the meditation, like everything else it is what you make it out to be. Any thinking apart from the WT is dangerour but only to the WT. Since I stopped practicing I have been more angry, and irritable, or maybe I'm just getting old.

• RR
    RR

Before my Witness years, I studied Tae Kwon Do for 7 years, a year before I became a Witness I studing Wing Chung Kung Fu, and gave it up when I was told too by the elders.

My daughter who is 11 was a brown belt before she lost interest. My Son who is 4 1/2 wants to be a Power Ranger when he grows up, so he will be starting Tae Kwon Do in the summer.

While I don't study anymore, I still practice my katas every morning, just to keep in shape.

RR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit