Article on Mental Health and witnesses

by chikikie 18 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• chikikie
    chikikie

ok maybe bias but at least there is some people out there exploring the possibilty of mental abuse, esp if raised, if raised in it, you dont have a mental illness or any personal problems to join it, you are just in it, I related to it as being brought up in it, the anguish of leaving if you are in a family of generations of JWS, your mental state when you know you are being lied to, you know its all wrong. The anguish of spending lots of important developemental years of your life in something that is a lie, you leave only to see that you have not got anything to show for all those hard years of work, apart from no education, no real friends lack of confidence when it comes to sex, who wants to start over again in their 30's 40's or 50's. Every dream you ever lived for, a lie.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

You don't have to read this article to see that more than half are nuts. Go to the hall and see for yourself. I hated getting into conversations with most of them. They all had problems. Mentally.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Interesting article, but it's not a proper academic study. The intent of the author is clear in this paragragh............... "Fortunately, some do find the way out. Many become agnostics or atheists, hating God and all attempts to understand and reach Him. Some are fortunate though, and through intensive Bible study come to realize that the Watchtower is based on a misunderstanding of the Bible and a misreading of many select "proof texts." These persons realize a firm faith does exist that is not based on the shifting sands of a man made organization directed by individuals who are scripturally illiterate and ill informed about historical Christianity or even modern Biblical research. These people are able to look back at their experience in the Watchtower as one that can be used to help others. Many of them become involved in the various cult ministries and use their Watchtower expertise to help others find salvation in Him who is the only way, truth and light."

• hubert
    hubert

Chikikie, you've got some very good points there.

I'm sure many who have been born into it have mental, or emotional problems, especially when trying to leave, or finding out it is all lies.

It truly has to be devastating.

Hubert

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Back to the actual topic though... I do think that JW both attracts mentally unstable people and creates them. I've had too many experiences in and outside my own family that shows this.

• steve2
    steve2
    Back to the actual topic though... I do think that JW both attracts mentally unstable people and creates them. I've had too many experiences in and outside my own family that shows this.

Fair comment. I have too. I just don't think our individual observations should be "dressed up" as ascientific research. I had enough exposure to dishonest scholasticism from the Watchtower, without needing it from ex-JWs as well! Jerry Bergman's bias is cleverly hidden beneath the measured language of academia; again, this is fine, but it begins to look a bit suspect when he uses the language of sociological research. I'm also astonished that, despite his work being written so many years ago, hardly anyone has scrutinised his conclusions. I wonder why? Surely among those who have left the organization are some who know about sound research methods?? I'd suggest that even someone who's studied an elementary university-level paper on research methods would see "through" Jerry Bergman's crafty claims.

• stillajwexelder
  • reniaa
    reniaa

hi steve

thx for clarifying the article :) I read it and felt the bias! also I did wonder about the validity of using opinions of people researching Jw's who have been inprisoned as conscientious objectors, from what I remember reading they suffered a lot for taking a non-combatant route that led to a lot of mistreatment and abuse by the time they were inprisoned. I totally agree with steve not scientific enough,

Sis you'll have to go back to the drawing board.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I emailed this to a few family members opps one by "mistake" ha ha ha they are use to getting hate JW mail from me

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit