possible reason for end of BS?

by uriah 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• uriah
    uriah

it occurrd to me that maybe there was some independent thinking going on in the BS. Maybe the GB was afraid of small groups thinking too muchand having them all meet at the KH would put paid to any groups that were becoming a bit liberal. As is known small bible study or at study groups were not allowed at bethel. Having the centralised meeting would silence the dissenters and stop cliques from forming.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Well, you'd think they would put a stop to that FAST and not wait eight months. Between now and 2009, those independent thinkers are going to cram as much into those remaining Book Study nights before the gig is up.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

OH bookstudy I thought you meant they were going to end the bullshit! nevermind

• yknot
    yknot

Perhaps they hoped using the Red Rev book would weed out the 'apostates' by challenging them to swallow anti-UN material. DFings for apostasy are up and people are leaving.

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

We've done some speculating on this in the past weeks. The two leading reasons that most think that they jammed the congregation book study are:

1. Elder burnout. The elder ranks are diminishing rapidly. No younger ones are rising up to take control (because college is poisoning their minds and they are leaving the Truth) and the existing elders are too old, too overworked, or a combination of the two.

2. Too much personal research and a willingness to discuss findings at the book study. Some people now realize that the internet has an infinite amount of useful information. They don't hesitate to look things up. What do they find? That "secular" information differs greatly from Watchtower information. So much so that in many cases it is ONLY the Watchtower that believes certain things without evidence. It's not completely unusual for people to bring printouts of stuff they've found on wikipedia to the book study. They're less likely to do this at the Sunday meeting because of the hundreds of eyes.

We don't know for sure why they did it. We don't have any moles on the governing body, unfortunately.

The only thing we can be sure of is that it had nothing to do with the "faithful and discreet slave" being directed by the Jesus.

er

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

It always was poorly attended which led to "discouragement". If they only have to report public talk numbers they look much better. I remember our BS was usually 65% but the public talk was around 90%.

• besty
    besty

I think you can be sure its not a standalone decision. It will be linked with recent speculation surrounding the ongoing role of CO's and the position of PO's. My guess - PO and CO scrapped and replaced by a group of men similar to stand-in CO's - ie semi full-timers who have nothing better to do and are self-funded. Also elders + Mservants combined under one title, and all JC's handled by the stand-in semi men or their local lackeys.

• sir82
    sir82
    elders + Mservants combined under one title

Wowzers! If that were to come true, there would be some seriously bruised egos to contend with.

"I've been an elder for 35 years, and now I'm at the same level as this pimple-faced 19 year old MS?!?!?"

They'd really have to lay on the "humility is important" WT articles for years leading up to such a change to avoid a major backlash.

• Borgia
    Borgia

Looking back in time until the september 2007 KM the move to abolish bookstudy in private houses is quite in line with current FDS/ GB thinking. ......

Cheers

Borgia

• owenfieldreams
    owenfieldreams

I kind of doubt this was the reason. If it was, then they would have quashed the bs arrangement years ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit