Anyone know who wrote the Truth book?

by Olin Moyles Ghost 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

It sold millions, huh? And yet, it's useless. What a waste of paper.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Useless even to the JW themselves, I guess by now.

Does anybody know what came to replace it?

• TD
    TD

That's debatable, but most would say that the larger, red book, You Can Live Forever In Paradise On Earth came next as the general "First study."

• james_woods
    james_woods

BTW - on the subject of Ed Dunlap: Ed, of course, did write some books for them. (James book was one)

Ed told me that it was his hope that it would serve as a prototype for a more scholarly series of books about actual Bible chapters. Ed was at that time one of the reformers who was hoping for a more honest and accessible organization. And we all know where that got him. Ed hated the style of writing popular with Freddy - where you jump around here and there throughout the scriptures and pick this or that verse completely out of context to make some obscure point.

He believed that you only got the meaning of something by reading at least the surrounding verses, if not the whole book or chapter. JW teach usually picks one verse only and then highlights one or two words of it, as if they were discovering the ancient secrets of the universe.

One Hundred and Forty Four Thousand!!!

• StAnn
    StAnn
    That's debatable, but most would say that the larger, red book, You Can Live Forever In Paradise On Earth came next as the general "First study."

So, when did the "Knowledge" book come out? I remember we were joking that, at one point it was the TRUTH that would lead to eternal life and then the GB downgraded it to just KNOWLEDGE; truth was optional.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Anyone knows for a fact who wrote it? Bet RF knows or mayve Randy.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

I thought that S Buck taught 1/2 newboy school back in them days but I dont recall him doing any writting then.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Fisherman,

In the book, In Search of Christian Freedom, Ray Franz mentions "Sam Buck, of the Writing Department staff." When I left Bethel, Sam had been in the Writing Dept. for many years.

Since Barbara Anderson worked in the Writing Dept., I think we can trust she's got it right when she says Harry Peloyan was the writer of the Truth book. After I saw what she wrote, it came back to my mind that I heard the same thing when I was in Brooklyn. Sam was one of several men who led classes for new entrants to Bethel. When my wife and I returned to Bethel in 1971, Karl and Joel Adams were our teachers.

Frank

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit