Why bad things happen to good people...

by milligal 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Billy Joel ."........Only the good die young."

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

I've always had a problem with God allowing bad things to happen to good people all for the sake of his vindication. Where is showing the love in that??? He is definetly a jealous God!!

• CandleLight
    CandleLight

When I endured abuse as a child, I don't think the following two choices are why it happened, or what the Bible teaches, religion maybe says it teaches this, but again, it is through the lens of a man.

The Bible has attempted two explanations which have overlapped in scripture.

1.God rewards faithfulness and punishes wickedness. Consequently, when we suffer we DESERVE IT. This means ALL suffering is what we deserve.

2.God is opposed by Satan and it is the adversary who makes us suffer evil (with God's permission). This means suffering allows humans a way of supporting the heavenly Gipper by refusing to blame God (directly) and praising him only.

I also feel that narrowing down the possibilities to the following three is shortsighted.

This leaves three possibilities (as far as I can see.)

1.We are all thoughts in God's mind as he rehearses the actual plan of creation and our suffering seems real to us because God's imagination is fantastically accurate! The consequence of this is that none of us have actually died or suffered YET! Let's God off the hook.

2.We are all of us deserving of whatever God wishes to allow because we are like toys made for amusement. We are loved like dolls and toy soldiers, but, we are playthings meant to be enjoyed. Our "suffering" is merely part of the spectacle. Time and space have bored angels and God for eons and we are their only form of REALITY entertainment! There is no morality/immorality in this because we are vessals made for this purpose; some for one use and others merely for destruction.

3.There was no Creator person responsible for our welfare. We became what we are by millennia of natural processes. We are our own best hope and worst enemy.

Take your choice!

Wow, what a tunnel. I choose none of the above.

Please know, I do not speak out of ignorance, but experience. Reconciling this question can heal alot of wounds, I pray we are all given that opportunity.

• milligal
    milligal

Candlelight,

With all due respect (and thank you for posting a response) quoting scripture may not answer the question raised on this thread. I think most people are looking for some logic, or reason that makes sense. If that cannot be provided, than I have to think maybe it doesn't exist.

• CandleLight
    CandleLight

Milligal,

No disrespect taken.

On the other hand, if we want to understand something about God, it would be logical to look to the book that talks about him.

Just because we as a human cannot 'see' the answer, or find it logical, does not mean it is not there. Not to offend, but when trying to understand our Father we must relinquish our logic for his, and amazingly his makes much more sense. For example, when trying to explain the concept of being reborn the Nicodemus, and Nicodemus just can't wrap his mind around Jesus explination, Jesus patiently explains,:

Joh 3:12 If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how shall you believe if I tell you heavenly things?

I know, another scripture.. but this thread is about God right?

Love

CL

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

You'd think God would have better ways of proving a point.

-Void (of the poker chip class)

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light
    I recall that some gnostics believed that the undergod was evil and that his name was Jehovah

NICE!

Its amazing how obscure facts can be a side-splitting punchline when played at the right moment!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit