What does AMICUS CURIAE mean??

by OhHappyDay 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Gopher
    Gopher

Six,

ROFLMAO!! You "curried" this about as far as you could take it! And we can't take it any more!

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• Francois
    Francois

Six,

You may be weird. I don't know. But you're wrong, wrong, wrong.

You got the friendly part right.

But the "curiae" part you screwed beyond belief.

Curiae, as all of us cognoscenti are aware, is from the Spanish curare - which is an extract from a certain frog in the formerly Spanish Amazon. This little frog's extract was used on the poisoned arrows of the natives, making it much, much easier for the natives to get dinner. And to run off the riff raff for that matter. Riff Raff in the form of tourists in the main.

But I digress.

Anyway, the natives are very, very grateful to the little frogs, appreciative of their gift of poison which is extracted from glands in the little frogs back. And the natives have become known as the "friends of the frog" or amicus curiae.

And that's the real story.

Francois

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

*sigh* you highbrow types with your big words! Ok, so I don't know what "cognoscenti" means exactly, but once again, with a little thought, it becomes obvious.

Cognoscenti= someone with a keen sense of smell, ie: a houndog. Which meanders us back in the general direction of my original argument, curry = curiae. Now, I'll grant that perhaps there is some connection between the spanish taste for curried frog legs, or perhaps, and this is a big stretch , the spanish influence of our legal system with that poison pen Miranda, but Frankly , I think you're peeking under the wrong pancho; what the hell would spanish amazonians have to do with latin(a)? Still, I must admit that I'm far more acquainted with romance law than frontier etymology.

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

Everyone who's reading this post can do themselves a HUGE favor by going to fornada.com and downloading the free software, MagicKeys. This program is resident in the background from the time you turn on your computer, and whenever you see a word or phrase you don't understand on some webpage, all you have to do is highlight it and press CTRL-L to receive the definition.

Please don't flood my email box with Thank You's.

Joseph F. Alward
    "Skeptical Views of Christianity and the Bible"

* http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html

• OhHappyDay
    OhHappyDay

Six and Francois:

You guys are for sure in the Writing Department. And if you're not than u SHOULD be. They NEED u there!!!!!

By the way Jo:
    Thank U

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

OK Joseph F. Alward

I'll say my "thankyou" right here and not in your email as you requested.

THANK YOU!

Had Enough

"Never doubt that a small group of citizens can change the world.
    Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
    ...Margaret Mead

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Phooey. You're all wrong. "Amicus Curiae" is the cure for a special kind of hiccups brought on from laughing too hard at a friends joke.

They can also be brought on by eating jello with a fork.

LoneWolf

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Everyone who's reading this post can do themselves a HUGE favor by going to fornada.com and downloading the free software, MagicKeys. This program is resident in the background from the time you turn on your computer, and whenever you see a word or phrase you don't understand on some webpage, all you have to do is highlight it and press CTRL-L to receive the definition.

Ain't that just the way. Damn computers putting honest hardworking folks out of work!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit