Why JWs should soft-pedal the "Divine Name"

by Open mind 51 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Open mind
    Open mind

This is prompted by Reniaa who claims that one of the things that JWs have right is the name Jehovah.

You know how if you're trying to convert someone to be a JW, you put your best foot forward and try to keep the controversial stuff that might "stumble" them on the back burner? (Like say, Mother's Day or when I was a kid, Pinatas?) Well, that's how I categorize the whole topic of the Divine Name. Only I'm not talking about just the JWs, I'm talking about the Bible and the God of the Bible.

The whole topic of the Divine Name, when you research it, is something that Bible believers should soft-pedal and not call attention to, IMHO. Here's why in a nut shell.

The JWs have done a great job at teaching you and me dozens of scriptures that emphasize how SUPER IMPORTANT it is that God's NAME be used, honored, sanctified, etc. We know those verses are in there.

Now back up a second and put on your neutral, 3rd party, alien-visiting-from-another-planet glasses.

OK, first there's a God who made everything and since he made everything, it's REALLY IMPORTANT that people know and use his name. (Sounds a little psycho from a human perspective, but let's run with it. Especially since the carrot of eternal life is involved.) He even puts statements to that effect throughout the Bible.

Then He fumbles the ball, BIG TIME!

If His actual name is so important to Him, would He do the following?:

First verbal contact with humans: Adam, circa 4000 BC.

First time he bothers to have a human start writing stuff down: 2500 years later, Moses.

OK, no biggie. God knew what His name was all along and He'll make sure Moses gets it right. Right?

Not so fast.

The Divine Being who was able to snap his fingers at Babel and create multiple languages on the spot does what? He gives four CONSONANTS to a people who have no written vowels and hopes for the best! Does he step in now and then throughout the centuries and correct things? No. So the actual pronunciation gets long lost and a Spanish monk (Raymundo Martini) in the 14 century comes up with a Spanish version of Jehovah.

Conclusion:

Either 1. God is a bumbler, (the awesome universe, if it was created, says that can't be so) or

2. the Bible isn't all it's cracked up to be or

3. there's another way of looking at it. (See p.s. below)

Quick re-cap:

1. God's name is super important to Him.

2. He gave Moses a short-hand version of it.

3. He did nothing to preserve the vowels over time.

4. Even his "Chosen People" the JWs, admit that it's not really Jehovah when you back them into a corner.

So, if you're trying to convince people of how great the Bible is, I'd keep the whole Divine Name thing sort of hush hush for now.

OM

p.s. For the Bible believers, to undo the entire argument above all you have to do is substitute the word "reputation" for "name" and it's all good again. IMO.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Sums it up pretty well OM.

Once you name a thing, you have limited it in a sense.

The Jews figured it out too. They stopped using YHWH and started merely saying HaShem.

"The Name"

BTS

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yep, they've dug a hole for themselves.

The term Christians should use for the Father is ABBA - so simple even a child can say it.

In fact it is an onomatopoeia. I knew I would get to use that word one day!

Sylvia

• reniaa
    reniaa

hi open mind :)

I disagree on the soft pedal of the divine name, it's what makes the Jehovah's Witnesses unique and it's hard to soft pedal something that you have right on the table as soon as you reveal who you are.

heres the facts......on jehovah

The Hebrew tetragrammaton, YHWH, is the way the name of God appears in the Hebrew Bible. The Hebrew language is a consonantal language, possessing no vowels. Vowels were pronounced, but not written. They were transmitted orally from generation to generation. This may like a difficult system, and quite strange to us, but it is not that difficult. Just as you can decipher that THS S TH WY TH HBRW PPL WRT BCK THN, means "this is the way Hebrew people wrote back then," so could they easily pronounce words without vowels.

By about 200 B.C., after the time of the Exile, and due to superstition, Jews would no longer pronounce God’s name for fear that they would take it in vain by not saying it properly. Instead of pronouncing the tetragrammaton, they would say Adonai, which is the Hebrew word meaning Lord. Because of this superstition, no one today knows exactly how it was pronounced.

So here's the question because superstitious jews allowed the correct pronouciation of JHWH to laps should we follow suit and not use it? deciding like the jews did to use the word "Lord" that is a completely different word but it also has a different meaning in that it isn't a name but just an anominous title, is better than trying to pronounce God's name?

The one thing I noticed on this site is you all talk about lies and truth a lot and here we have an example of something deliberately obscured by men out of superstition, that then went on to be directly causal in more misconceptions having the two main characters in the bible both called Lord was bound to end in trouble.

the 1611 version of king james bible used jehovah 7 times

The KJV translators used the name "Jehovah" whenever the name Yahweh was found under one of the following three conditions:

1. When YHWH is used as God’s personal name.

Exodus 6:3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

Ps 83:18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.

2. When God’s name is repeated as "Jah Jehovah."

Isaiah 12:2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

Isaiah 26:4 Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:

3. When God’s personal name is part of a place name.

Jehovah-jireh

Genesis 22:14 And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovah-jireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the LORD it shall be seen.

Jehovah-nissi

Exodus 17:15 And Moses built an altar, and called the name of it Jehovah-nissi:

Jehovah-shalom

Judges 6:24 Then Gideon built an altar there unto the LORD, and called it Jehovah-shalom: unto this day it is yet in Ophrah of the Abi-ezrites.

modern versions of the bible even want to wipe these few exceptions for example :-

Isaiah 12:2 (New International Version)

2 Surely God is my salvation;
    I will trust and not be afraid.
    The LORD, the LORD, is my strength and my song;
    he has become my salvation."

Do you think this scripture now makes better sense?

and isaiah 26 :4

New American Standard Bible(©1995)
    "Trust in the LORD forever, For in GOD the LORD, we have an everlasting Rock.

GOD'S WORD® Translation(©1995)
    Trust the LORD always, because the LORD, the LORD alone, is an everlasting rock.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Reniaa

The NWT does o just fine in restoring the Divine name to the OT...as do other versions such as the ASV. We have the backup to show the Tetragrammeton was present. However, the NWT is alone and unsubstiated in 'restoring' the Divine name to the NT- they have 'restored' something that was never there. Acts 4:12 is pretty clear as to the name we need to call upon. So is Phil 2:9...so is Roman 10:9-13 (although in verse 13 the NWT wrongly 'restores' the Divine name and muddies who we are to call on, the context of the preceding verses shows it to be Jesus).

• middleman
    middleman

reniaa, I see a lot of writing from you but I still don't see your point.

• reniaa
    reniaa

Reniaa

The NWT does o just fine in restoring the Divine name to the OT...as do other versions such as the ASV. We have the backup to show the Tetragrammeton was present. However, the NWT is alone and unsubstiated in 'restoring' the Divine name to the NT- they have 'restored' something that was never there

isaacaustin

I appreciate your point isaac and the 130 something times Jws have put jehovah into the Nt they have to be accountable for but I would uphold them if they putting it in a scripture which is a direct quote from an OT one using the tetragrammeton. how can it be more correct not to use it if your quoting from a scripture that does use it?

36 For David himself said by the holy spirit, ' Jehovah saith unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make 37 thine enemies thy footstool. ...

and jws weren't the first to put it into the nt

• "Newcome" New Testament altNew window
    Translated by William Newcome, but revised by Unitarians. Published 1808. One of the first to use "Jehovah" in the NT, and the first in English to translate John 1:1 "the Word was a god".
  • Griesbach Novum Testamentum Graece, Vol 2 (1810) altNew window
    Facsimile of the second volume of Griesbach's last edition of his Greek Testament.
  • Heinfetter New Testament altNew window
    A literal translation of the New Testament, by Herman Heinfetter. Translated by Frederick Parker. 1863. Digital facsimile in PDF. Uses "Jehovah" many places.
  • isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I appreciate your point isaac and the 130 something times Jws have put jehovah into the Nt they have to be accountable for but I would uphold them if they putting it in a scripture which is a direct quote from an OT one using the tetragrammeton. how can it be more correct not to use it if your quoting from a scripture that does use it?

36 For David himself said by the holy spirit, ' Jehovah saith unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make 37 thine enemies thy footstool. ...
    and jws weren't the first to put it into the nt

"Newcome" New TestamentNew window
    Translated by William Newcome, but revised by Unitarians. Published 1808. One of the first to use "Jehovah" in the NT, and the first in English to translate John 1:1 "the Word was a god".

Griesbach Novum Testamentum Graece, Vol 2 (1810)New window
    Facsimile of the second volume of Griesbach's last edition of his Greek Testament.

Heinfetter New TestamentNew window
    A literal translation of the New Testament, by Herman Heinfetter. Translated by Frederick Parker. 1863. Digital facsimile in PDF. Uses "Jehovah" many places.

Reniaa,

You are saying that when a OT quote that bears the Divine name is quoted in the NT, Jehovah should be used in the NT. I have heard this reasoning before..and i have been asked if I felt that Jesus, for instance, used the title Lord as opposed to Jehovah. Yes, I do. Let's look at a verse that the NWT insert Jehovah into the NT- Matt 22:3-4-40

" 34 After the Pharisees heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they came together in one group. 35 And one of them, versed in the Law, asked, testing him: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 37 He said to him: “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.’ 38 This is the greatest and first commandment. 39 The second, like it, is this, ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments the whole Law hangs, and the Prophets.”

We see Jehovah in verse 37. I beleive Jesus used the title Lord. Why? Reading the account we see the religious leaders were trying (unsuccessfully) to 'trap' Jesus. They could not catch him in anything. had he used the Divine name- which they would have considered blasphemy- they would have had him.

The sources you gave me for use of the name Jehovah in the NT are simply translations from the 1800's- WHICH WERE TRANSLATED FROM THE SAME GREEK MANUSCRIPTS ALL OTHER VERSIONS WERE TANSLATED FROM. As we well know, the 5000+ extant copies do not contain the Divine name. So those sources you quoted give no evidence that the Divine name belongs in the NT.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

"Newcome" New Testament altNew window

Not a valid source- notice the words "Revised by Unitarians"

• blondie
    blondie

Notice how the "suggested" presentations avoid using "Jehovah."

** km 1/07 p. 4 What to Say About the Magazines ***The Watchtower Jan. 15"Where do you think married couples can go for reliable advice? [Allow for response.] Notice who originated marriage. [Read Genesis 2:22.] God also provided instructions on the dignified role of the husband and the wife. This magazine explains."

Awake!

Jan.

"Have you noticed that many professed Christians do not follow the teachings of Jesus? [Allow for response.] For example, many do not follow Jesus’ words here. [Read John 13:35.] This article examines the difference between what Jesus taught and the view of many professed Christians." Feature the article that begins on page 18.

The

WatchtowerFeb. 1

"Do you think our community would be a better place if everyone lived by these words? [Read Ephesians 4:25. Then allow for response.] Many people think that lying is acceptable in some situations. This magazine explains the benefits of always telling the truth."

Awake!

Feb.

"Attitudes toward religion seem to be changing in some communities. Do you think the churches are losing their influence? [Allow for response.] These words of the apostle Paul give a reason why some have lost confidence in religion. [Read Acts 20:29, 30.] This magazine shows what the Bible says about the future of Christianity."

*** km 2/07 p. 8 What to Say About the Magazines ***The Watchtower Feb. 15"Some feel that man is ruining the earth. Do you ever worry about that? [Allow for response.] Notice this reassuring promise. [Read Revelation 11:18.] This magazine presents information on what makes this planet unique. It also shows what the Bible says about the earth’s future."

Awake!

Feb.

"Do you think that this is a reason why we see so much trouble in the world? [Read 1 John 5:19. Then allow for response.] This article shows what the Bible says about the identity of ‘the wicked one’ and how we can avoid his powerful influence." Feature the article that begins on page 12.

The

WatchtowerMar. 1

"Many people feel that all religions lead to God. Do you think it matters which religion a person chooses? [Allow for response.] Notice this recommendation. [Read 1 John 4:1.] This magazine discusses how we can test teachings to see if they come from God. It also explains how different religions got started."

Awake!

Mar.

"In your opinion, what are some challenges facing young people today? [Allow for response.] This verse highlights one challenge—having the right kind of friends. [Read Proverbs 13:20.] This magazine discusses the dangers of using the Internet to find friends and how youths can be protected."

km3/07p.4WhattoSayAbouttheMagazines***

TheWatchtowerMar. 15

"People often speak of the coming of Jesus Christ. Do you think that this is an event to look forward to or to fear? [Allow for response.] Notice how the Bible writer John felt about it. [Read Revelation 22:20.] This magazine explains what Christ’s coming will accomplish."

Awake!

Mar.

"Many world leaders seem to be very proud. Do you think that this attitude contributes to peace and harmony in the world? [Allow for response.] Here is what the Bible says about pride. [Read Proverbs 16:18.] This article explains the benefits of being humble." Feature the article that begins on page 20.

The

WatchtowerApr. 1

"Almost every day we are confronted with questions about our health, our family, and our job. Where do you think we can find reliable and practical answers? [Allow for response.] Note what the Bible says at 2 Timothy 3:16. [Read.] This magazine shows how the Bible can help us in many practical ways."

Awake!

Apr.

"In many parts of the world, people feel that moral standards are declining. Have you noticed this? [Allow for response.] The conditions we see today fulfill a Bible prophecy. [Read 2 Timothy 3:2-4.] This magazine shows what the moral decline means and where it is leading mankind."

km4/07p.8WhattoSayAbouttheMagazines***

What

toSayAbouttheMagazines

The

WatchtowerApr. 15

"It seems that cruel acts are becoming more common. [Give a local example or one from the magazine.] Have you ever wondered how people can be so cruel? [Allow for response.] The Bible foretold an increase in cruelty. [Read 2 Timothy 3:1-5.] This magazine answers the question, ‘Will cruelty ever end?’"

Awake!

Apr.

"Many people claim to be Christians. What do you think it means to be a Christian? [Allow for response.] Note what Jesus said here. [Read John 15:14.] This article shows that more is required than simply saying that one is a Christian." Feature the article that begins on page 26.

The

WatchtowerMay 1

"The death of a child causes deep and lasting pain for parents. Where do you think they can turn for comfort? [Allow for response. Then read Romans 15:5.] This magazine discusses some of the ways in which God supplies comfort to those who mourn."

Awake!

May

"Some people enjoy prosperity, while millions of others live in poverty. Do you think that we will ever see a time when such inequalities will be gone? [Allow for response.] Notice how God views those who are poor. [Read Psalm 22:24.] This magazine explains the Bible’s hope for the poor."

km5/07p.4WhattoSayAbouttheMagazines***

What

toSayAbouttheMagazines

The

WatchtowerMay 15

"How would you answer this question? [Read question on cover. Then allow for response.] The Bible gives us a reason for hope. [Read Matthew 6:9, 10.] This magazine explains how God’s Kingdom will cause God’s will to be done on earth."

Awake!

May

"Do you think that our actions and final destiny have been predetermined by God? [Allow for response.] According to this Bible verse, God allows people to choose how they will live their lives. [Read Deuteronomy 30:19.] This article shows what the Bible says on the subject." Feature the article that begins on page 12.

The

WatchtowerJune 1

"Almost every day we hear news of those who carry out evil acts. [Cite a current example known locally.] Have you ever wondered if there is an unseen sinister source influencing people? [Allow for response. Then read Revelation 12:12.] This magazine explains how we can protect ourselves."

Awake!

June

"I would like to have your opinion on what this says. [Read 1 Timothy 6:10.] Do you feel that those who live for money and material acquisitions really suffer as a result? [Allow for response.] This magazine explains the bad effects of pursuing riches."

km6/07p.4WhattoSayAbouttheMagazines***

What

toSayAbouttheMagazines

The

WatchtowerJune 15

"Have you noticed that many today are choosing their own standards of right and wrong? [Allow for response.] Here is an example of the timeless direction found in the Bible. [Read a scripture from the box on pages 6-7.] This magazine explains how we are benefited by embracing the Bible’s moral values."

Awake!June

"We all need money to survive. Do you think it is possible to be too concerned about making money? [Allow for response.] Notice what this says about the results of pursuing riches. [Read 1 Timothy 6:10.] This magazine gives some practical suggestions on how to simplify one’s life and get by on less money."

TheWatchtowerJuly 1

"Have you ever wondered why people are mistreated because they are of a different race or nationality or because they speak a different language? [Allow for response.] Notice the reason given here. [Read 1 John 4:20.] This magazine answers the question, Is ethnic harmony possible?"

Awake!July

"Unlike animals that act on instinct, humans have the ability to choose the standards by which they will live. Where do you think we can go for reliable guidance? [Allow for response. Then read Psalm 119:105.] This magazine explains the superiority of the guidance found in the Bible."

***km7/07p.4WhattoSayAbouttheMagazines***

WhattoSayAbouttheMagazines

TheWatchtowerJuly 15

"The death of loved ones can cause much sorrow. Do you think that a part of them continues to live on? [Allow for response.] Jesus gave this encouraging promise. [Read John 5:28, 29.] Since Jesus said that a resurrection ‘is coming,’ this magazine explains from the Bible where the dead are right now."

Awake!July

"Many people live their life the best way they can and feel that it is important to be a good person. Is that your approach to life? [Allow for response.] Notice the danger if our definition of what is good is different from God’s. [Read Proverbs 14:12.] This article discusses what it means to be a good person in God’s eyes." Feature the article that begins on page 20.

TheWatchtowerAug. 1

"I would like to get your opinion on something that Jesus said. [Read Matthew 5:3.] Do you feel that spirituality is important for happiness? [Allow for response.] This magazine shows what the Bible says about true spirituality and how we may obtain it."

Awake!Aug.

"Where do you think parents can find advice that will really help them? [Allow for response.] Notice this promise made in the Bible. [Read 2 Timothy 3:16.] This magazine shows just how practical the Bible can be in helping parents raise happy children."

***km8/07p.8WhattoSayAbouttheMagazines***

TheWatchtowerAug. 15

"I would like to have your opinion on what this says. [Read Hebrews 3:4.] Do you agree that the universe had an intelligent Designer? [Allow for response.] This magazine examines whether belief in a Designer is compatible with true science."

Awake!Aug.

When meeting a young person, you might say: "Many your age have been hurt by malicious gossip. Has that happened to you? [Allow for response.] The Bible gives good advice that can help us if we are the victim of gossip. It also shows how we can steer clear of harmful gossip ourselves." Feature the article that begins on page 12, and read one of the scriptures from the article.

TheWatchtowerSept. 1

"Many feel that the ‘Old Testament’ provides helpful historical information. But they wonder if its guidelines are relevant for today. What do you think? [Allow for response. Then read Romans 15:4.] This magazine shows how the ‘Old Testament’ provides beneficial advice for daily living and real hope for the future."

Awake!Sept.

"Do you think that natural disasters are acts of God? [Allow for response. Then read Deuteronomy 32:4.] This magazine examines why God has allowed natural disasters to occur. It also outlines how to protect your family."

***km9/07p.4WhattoSayAbouttheMagazines***

TheWatchtowerSept. 15

"I would like to have your opinion on what this says. [Read Deuteronomy 32:4.] Have you ever wondered why there is so much suffering and wickedness in the world if God is all-powerful and just? [Allow for response.] This magazine explains why God has allowed wickedness to continue until our day."

Awake!Sept.

"Most of us desire good health and a long life. Do you think that keeping a positive outlook can improve our health? [Allow for response. Then read Proverbs 17:22.] This article discusses why an optimistic attitude is worth cultivating." Feature the article on page 26.

TheWatchtowerOct. 1

"Have you ever said to yourself, ‘I wish I had done things differently!’? [Allow for response.] Notice what this says about why we all sometimes make choices that we later regret. [Read Jeremiah 10:23.] This magazine explains how the practical advice found in the Bible helps us to make good choices."

Awake!Oct.

"Do you think that it is more dangerous for children today than in the past? [Allow for response.] Many feel that we are living during the time described here. [Read 2 Timothy 3:1-5.] This magazine gives some practical suggestions on how parents can protect their children from sexual predators."

***km10/07p.8WhattoSayAbouttheMagazines***

TheWatchtowerOct. 15

"Many people feel that the future is so uncertain that we are better off living just for today. What do you think? [Allow for response.] Jesus made this interesting comment. [Read Matthew 6:34.] This magazine explains how we can plan for the future but at the same time avoid being unduly anxious about it."

Awake!Oct.

"All of us have lost loved ones in death. Do you think they are watching us from heaven? [Allow for response.] Notice what Jesus said when Lazarus died. [Read John 11:11.] This article explains whether the dead are alive somewhere or are asleep awaiting a resurrection." Feature the article that begins on page 28.

TheWatchtowerNov. 1

"Do you think the world would be a better place if people demonstrated more humility? [Allow for response.] Note what Jesus said about this quality. [Read Matthew 23:12.] This article discusses the value of cultivating humility, even in this competitive world."

Awake!Nov.

"In the past, people often looked to the Bible for guidance. But now many say they have doubts. How do you feel? [Allow for response. Then read 2 Timothy 3:16.] This special issue of Awake! gives compelling evidence that the Bible is inspired of God."

***km11/07p.4WhattoSayAbouttheMagazines***

TheWatchtowerNov. 15

"All of us want to have a happy, meaningful life. Do you agree with what Jesus said here about the key to happiness? [Read Matthew 5:3. Then allow for response.] This magazine explains how the satisfying of our inborn, fundamental need to worship God gives meaning to our life."

Awake!Nov.

"In our age of science and skepticism, many people think that the Bible is out-of-date. How do you feel about that? [Allow for response.] Did you know that every statement in the Bible that touches on science is accurate? [Read Job 26:7.] This special issue of Awake! gives compelling reasons why the Bible can be trusted."

TheWatchtowerDec. 1

"How would you answer this question? [Read question on cover. Then allow for response.] It is God’s purpose to unify the human race. [Read Psalm 46:8, 9.] This magazine shows what the Bible says about how unity will be achieved."

Awake!Dec.

"Some feel that death is a passage to an afterlife; others believe that it is the end. Do you personally think that death is something to fear? [Allow for response.] Notice how Job felt about the prospect of his death. [Read Job 14:14, 15.] This magazine gives the Bible’s clear explanation on what happens to us when we die."

***km12/07p.8WhattoSayAbouttheMagazines***

TheWatchtowerDec. 15

"During the holiday season, many try to show kindness and compassion. Do you think that the world would be a better place if people showed compassion all year round? [Allow for response. Then read 1 Peter 3:8.] This magazine explains the value of compassion and mentions some practical ways we can demonstrate it."

Awake!Dec.

"Do you think that our dead loved ones will live again? [Allow for response.] The Bible says that there is a way out of death. [Read Psalm 68:20.] This magazine shows why we need not fear death as the permanent end of life."

TheWatchtowerJan. 1

"Many people pray for God’s Kingdom to come. For example, notice this famous prayer that Jesus taught his followers. [Read Matthew 6:9, 10.] Have you ever wondered what the Kingdom is and when it will come? [Allow for response.] This magazine shows what the Bible says on the matter."

Awake!Jan.

"Throughout history women have suffered discrimination and violence. Why do you think that is? [Allow for response.] Notice how the Bible instructs husbands to treat their wives. [Read 1 Peter 3:7.] This magazine shows from the Bible how God and Christ view women."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit